Sponsored

Possible reason the JL key fob is so big - waterproof

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Why can't they fit a freeken proximity sensor in it...
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
We just bought a new Cherokee and I thought I would post a comparison of the key fob size and seal.
2 fobs.jpg

Size comparison. As small as the Cherokee fob looks, it feels even smaller. And yes it is a proximity key fob.

jl fob inside.jpg

Picture of seal in JL key.

kl fob inside.jpg

Seal in KL key. Looks way better, but I won't be testing it.

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
With manual door locks? I have to doubt that... But, I'll go give it a try (while leaving a window rolled down so that I can still get the key off the seat)...

EDITED...

Just tried it... As I suspected, it is most definitely possible to lock the doors with the key/fob still in the vehicle.
Really? Did you use the manual door lock or the automatic door lock? Maybe your car is missing some option?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Really? Did you use the manual door lock or the automatic door lock? Maybe your car is missing some option?
Of course he's missing an option. Its the called the Power Locks Option LOL. He has a Manual locking jeep. That is why it doesn't work.

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/0...-after-son-got-locked-inside-hot-vehicle.html

A Michigan mom is warning parents who have keyless entry cars to be cautious after her young son became locked inside a hot vehicle while she was pumping gas.

Katie Corbin of Novi, Mich., stopped at a gas station in Northville Township to pump gas on Tuesday when her vehicle, a 2018 Chevy Malibu, locked, WXYZ reported. Her one-year-old son Joey was locked inside the car along with her two sets of car keys and cell phone.

“At this point I’m panicking,” Corbin told WXYZ. “It’s 92 degrees outside.”

Corbin said her car has keyless entry but she has used vehicles with similar systems in the past.

“I thought that having a keyless entry car meant that I could leave my key in my car while I went and pumped gas,” she said. “That was not the case.”

Corbin said bystanders came by to help and called 911, who came quickly and were able to safely remove her son from the car.

“He was just pouring sweat,” Corbin said. “I got him out. He stopped crying immediately — just laid his head on my chest, and I just squeezed him and held him.”

Corbin said she called the car dealership to alert them about the incident and was told fabric could cut off a signal from the key. Her two sets of keys were located in her purse and diaper bag.

About 37 children die each year after being trapped inside a hot car, according to KidsandCars.org.

Corbin said she would not leave her keys in the car again and asked other parents to heed her advice.

"Technology failed me and my child was or in harm’s way,” she said. “Be careful, don’t trust technology.”
Yeah, the keyless entry system is a problem, but so is stupidity like what is illustrated by this woman (and many women like her).
  • You should not leave your keys in your car, otherwise someone can steal it.
  • You should not leave your purse in your car, otherwise someone can snatch it and walk away while you are busy pumping gas.
  • If you do choose to leave your purse in your car, it should not be in plain sight and the car should be locked.
These rules should be followed if you have a traditional key system or if you have one of the keyless ignition gimmicks that many cars are coming with these days.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info @NavyVet1959
latest?cb=20150815004353.gif
It's not a dead horse when you're trying to educate people on the stupidity of putting all these electronic gimmicks in vehicles.

And other things... The old electro-mechanical washer and dryers lasted for a LONG time and were cheap and easy to repair. Same goes for the older refrigerators and stoves. Not so much the case now that they are making them electronically controlled.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The reason that the fob is so big, bigger than other FCA fobs, is because the Wrangler is available with manual locks. This required the fob to have a usable key as opposed to an emergency key like the smaller fobs. In this picture, you can see that the size is needed to accommodate the normal sized circuit board along with the flip out key.

fob inside.jpg

Last edited:

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I'm not gonna read through 9 pages, but my opinion is that the key fob is larger than normal because the remote start range is INSANE.

It's easily 4-5x greater than my Denali. Everytime I think I'm too far to start it, it works.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not gonna read through 9 pages, but my opinion is that the key fob is larger than normal because the remote start range is INSANE.

It's easily 4-5x greater than my Denali. Everytime I think I'm too far to start it, it works.
Didn't have remote start in my Ram, but the range on the remote control to lock the doors was pretty good. I once stood by the window in my 4th floor office and could see the light flash after I pressed the lock button (because I couldn't remember whether I had locked it or not). I was probably 100 yards away across the parking lot. I've also had cars where you needed to be maybe 20-30 ft from the car and aim the remote just right because the sensor apparently was near the rear view mirror.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
... I once stood by the window in my 4th floor office and could see the light flash after I pressed the lock button (because I couldn't remember whether I had locked it or not). I was probably 100 yards away across the parking lot....
This is a fair anecdote, but one also somewhat necessary to take into context given you were transmitting from a point of height.

I'm not trashing your story; I'm not saying other key fobs could do this (I just don't know.) I'm simply making the analogy of your position when you actuated the fob and that of a highly perched radio antenna.

flipper

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saburu, honda, Wrangler (first one)
My very first Jeep modification. Hook to hold my fob. Really....I did this!!!

20181227_184224.jpg

20181227_184224.jpg

HeavyMetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr Rubicon
Word to the wise. Don't put too much faith in the water proofing. Got a rental JL this evening, they must have soaked the key when washing. They gave it to me a little wet, didn't think much of it. Got to my destination and tried to lock the Jeep and the remote got a mind of its own. The buttons either didn't work or did the opposite of what I was pressing. It also was triggering the door locks when just sitting on the counter. Even got a bonus car alarm trigger out of the deal. Took the fob apart and removed the battery, water was coming out of where the buttons are. Letting it dry overnight. So yeah. Avoid this experience. Jeep is locked until morning because I can't risk another middle of the night car alarm trying to get in it...

Yeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Range Rover Turbo Diesel
Word to the wise. Don't put too much faith in the water proofing. Got a rental JL this evening, they must have soaked the key when washing. They gave it to me a little wet, didn't think much of it. Got to my destination and tried to lock the Jeep and the remote got a mind of its own. The buttons either didn't work or did the opposite of what I was pressing. It also was triggering the door locks when just sitting on the counter. Even got a bonus car alarm trigger out of the deal. Took the fob apart and removed the battery, water was coming out of where the buttons are. Letting it dry overnight. So yeah. Avoid this experience. Jeep is locked until morning because I can't risk another middle of the night car alarm trying to get in it...

I recall a member of this forum had his wife put his in the washing machine and it never worked correctly afterwards. Water RESISTANT maybe, but I don’t think it’s meant to be submerged into full water for long periods of time.

Also, I used to leave my FOB in my suv at night when it was in my garage with the proximity. What ended up happening is my suv never fully went into “sleep mode” because the key was still being recognized. Soon later I had a dead battery and the dealer said that was the culprit. Just an FYI with my experience.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
waterproof definitely doesn't mean it can last through half a wash cycle in high efficiency washing machine! Ooops! :headbang:
I put it in rice for a couple of days after opening it and taking the battery out. Then, put in a new battery. Now the only thing it will do is turn the alarm on and off, but when I do, I can't turn it off with the working remote!

Anyone know the best/cheapest way to get it fixed or replaced other than the dealer?
Sponsored