NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
If you look at the circuit board closely, you'll see the antenna running around the edge of it. That's going to be the limiting factor on how small they can make the fob.

And it's not waterproof, it's water resistant. I have a watch that is supposed to be good for 1000m and it still is listed as water resistant, not waterproof. There's no way I would even consider the Jeep fob good enough to go diving with and that is normally less than 160 ft. It *might* be water resistant enough for getting caught in a rain shower or *maybe* if it fell out of your shirt pocket into your dog's water bowl, but considering how overpriced it is, I wouldn't even risk it for that.
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
So, I'm working on my key (I like to attach my house keys with custom parts to avoid using key rings) and I have it disassembled. It does appear that the key is waterproof. The reason for its size is likely the fact that the engineers are lazy morons. There's a lot of totally empty space here, and even with the gaskets, there's absolutely no reason to make this bigger than the key for any other jeep model. They all are much smaller profile keys that do exactly the same thing. I applaud the effort they took in making it waterproof (even though they don't advertise it anywhere), but there is simply no excuse for the size.

29894087_10160313194205094_817901327_o.jpg

29894059_10160313181735094_2093985526_o.jpg

29942886_10160313192345094_1662957918_o.jpg

29954845_10160313193160094_1175644107_o.jpg
But this key is waterproof too...
Plain Key.jpg

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But this key is waterproof too...
Plain Key.jpg
Most definitely. I've had that type of keep down to over 160 ft and it has worked perfectly afterwards with nothing more than a quick rinse in fresh water and wiping it dry on my t-shirt. The system wasn't broke, so why did these damn kiddie engineers see fit to "fix" it?

That's a rhetorical question... I know damn well why they wanted to "fix" it -- so that they could add something on their resume to look better for the next job they apply for... :(

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
One day totally forgot my FJ Cruise FOB was in my swim shorts. Spent hours in the ocean until taking a piss in the bathroom realized the key was on me. Drenched it with freshwater and dried it up. Swore my vehicle would not start and we'd be stranded hours from home. Worked first time. Never failed me afterwards, either. I think the manufacturers realize we are idiots and prepare for the worse or a few hours not going to quickly affect these FOBs. Going with the latter.

Not going to purposely try again, however. Might accidentally, though. :(

JohnnyBoxhead

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ditto here, washed mine, did yours work again after changing battery?
I’m just getting around to getting a new battery. After I pulled the old battery out I cleaned it as well as I could with a q-tip. I put a battery in today and now every button I push sets off the alarm. I think it might be done ...

Sponsored

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
Add me to the list of "testers". NOT, waterproof. Almost got stuck at the beach but did remember you can push the start button with the fob and ...voila.

I had the doors off but the back locked. Didn't even realize there was a keyhole in back because I never had a use for it. Was glad to see it.

Felt worse to open it and rinse it with fresh water than it did to put it in my pocket and give it a whirl during my surf session.

Crossing my fingers it dries out and works with a new battery.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Might want to give it an alcohol wash as well because salt is what really kills electronics.

Add me to the list of "testers". NOT, waterproof. Almost got stuck at the beach but did remember you can push the start button with the fob and ...voila.

I had the doors off but the back locked. Didn't even realize there was a keyhole in back because I never had a use for it. Was glad to see it.

Felt worse to open it and rinse it with fresh water than it did to put it in my pocket and give it a whirl during my surf session.

Crossing my fingers it dries out and works with a new battery.

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
I’m most likely buying a sport with manual locks.

Is the key blade easily removed? I’d rather not pocket the entire fob all the time.

Any idea if you can start your jeep after removing the fob battery? The owner’s manual states you can press the fob against the start button in case of a dead battery.

Thinking I could keep the fob hidden inside the jeep with fob battery removed so someone can’t just drive off with my jeep. Then just push the start button with the fob to start the engine.
you remove the button from the start and put the key blade in that key hole. no putting the fob against anything. also if you are getting manual locks why would you need a key fob? can you get a remote start with manual locks? I thought they were part and parcel. Yes Locks with no auto start, but if you get the auto start the power locks come with it.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Is the FOB big? Sure but boy do I find my keys fast!! I honestly don't see a problem with it. Honestly the biggest issue I have is forgetting to get the Keys because they aren't like the old school vehicles where you need to turn the keys to OFF and Remove LOL. So I just push to turn off and get out of Car.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
you remove the button from the start and put the key blade in that key hole. no putting the fob against anything. also if you are getting manual locks why would you need a key fob? can you get a remote start with manual locks? I thought they were part and parcel. Yes Locks with no auto start, but if you get the auto start the power locks come with it.

Say what???? Remove button and insert key????

Sponsored

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
The Jeep fob is pretty big for me too. For my daily driver I don't have a key at all. It uses the bluetooth on my phone. Just walk up and open the door. I have attached a pic of the back-up key i keep in my wallet. I have only used it to show people how it works. I guess that frees up room in my pocket for my giant Jeep key fob

IMG_1551.JPG

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is the FOB big? Sure but boy do I find my keys fast!! I honestly don't see a problem with it. Honestly the biggest issue I have is forgetting to get the Keys because they aren't like the old school vehicles where you need to turn the keys to OFF and Remove LOL. So I just push to turn off and get out of Car.
The way I see it, the FOB causes me to wear out the pockets on my jeans twice as fast than with a normal key / remote.

Previously, to get into the vehicle and go somewhere:
  1. Put hand in pocket, remove key/remote
  2. Unlock door
  3. Put key in ignition, drive away
  4. Upon arrival at destination, take key out of ignition, exit vehicle, and lock doors
  5. Put key/remote back in pocket
Now, it's more like:
  1. So, Put hand in pocket, remove key/remote
  2. Unlock door
  3. Put key/remote back in pocket
  4. Get in vehicle, drive away
  5. Upon arrival at destination, exit vehicle
  6. Put hand in pocket remove key/remote
  7. Lock door
  8. Put key/remote back in pocket
So, the hand is going in the pocket twice as much and as such, the top edge of the pocket is going to wear out twice as fast.

Sure, I *could* just place the key in the center console and I *could* just lock the doors manually without the key, but I consider that unacceptable since it is entirely too easy to accidentally lock your key in the vehicle that way. The safest way to ensure that you never lock your key in your vehicle is to have it in your hand and use it to lock the door of the vehicle.

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
So, I'm working on my key (I like to attach my house keys with custom parts to avoid using key rings) and I have it disassembled. It does appear that the key is waterproof. The reason for its size is likely the fact that the engineers are lazy morons. There's a lot of totally empty space here, and even with the gaskets, there's absolutely no reason to make this bigger than the key for any other jeep model. They all are much smaller profile keys that do exactly the same thing. I applaud the effort they took in making it waterproof (even though they don't advertise it anywhere), but there is simply no excuse for the size.

29894087_10160313194205094_817901327_o.jpg

29894059_10160313181735094_2093985526_o.jpg

29942886_10160313192345094_1662957918_o.jpg

29954845_10160313193160094_1175644107_o.jpg
For as tiny as that PCB is, I might try 3d printing a new case for the whole thing. I feel like you could drastically shrink the size of the fob, especially if you don't need the actual metal key. The only times I've ever used the actual key was to lock the center console, which is rare.

Reactions: KDB

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you wrote that reply on a (not-so-)"smart" phone. :) You might want to edit it when you get back on a real computer to make it more clean / say what you really meant. :)

With a Sport model, you do not have power locks, so the FOB has no buttons on it. It has a metal key that swings out when you press the round silver button though. But, the FOB is not empty. It has a transmitter in it that communicates with the vehicle to let the vehicle know that a valid FOB is in the vehicle and the start button should be allowed to operate. If the FOB's battery is dead though, that means of transmission cannot occur and it needs to use near field communication instead. You have to use the FOB's corner to press the start button in order for it to be close enough to communicate. At least that is my understanding of it from watching JeepInformant's video on it on YouTube.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
For as tiny as that PCB is, I might try 3d printing a new case for the whole thing. I feel like you could drastically shrink the size of the fob, especially if you don't need the actual metal key. The only times I've ever used the actual key was to lock the center console, which is rare.
Let us all know how the 3D printing goes, pending your results you may have a lot of paying customers lined up to get their hands on one.......
Sponsored