Sponsored

Possible reason the JL key fob is so big - waterproof

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Went to the Threedom site. Curious......the RFID chip is what allows the pushbutton start to work. If you have no power locks or other features (a buttonless remote), do you still need the battery and circuit board on the remote for the Jeep to start, or can that be RFID chip be in your pocket (or wallet) and not need to be placed at the push button to work?
Your answer and more can be found at the Threedom Fob 101 thread..

You will find a ton of JL/JT related fob info here.. Well worth reading through the whole thread..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🪛-fob-101-know-thy-jl-key-fob🪛.88719/

With any JL/JT..
In short though.... No battery and circuit board in the picture means you must physically press the RFID chip or the RFID chip in a holder against the start button.... you depress firmly while holding brake pedal down and the JL/JT will start / is driveable.

Do read the whole Fob 101 thread..
Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Fun fact for you, I forget how I did it exactly, but if you wind the spring correctly, you can make it so that your key automatically closes instead of automatically opens. So basically all those times the key opened in your pocket, now you can make it so it automatically closes instead. So if you accidentally press the button, it doesn't do anything. I think most Wrangler owners don't ever use the key. I do a fair amount just because I have manual locks. But those of you with automatic doors and automatic start, you don't really ever need to use the key.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Fun fact for you, I forget how I did it exactly, but if you wind the spring correctly, you can make it so that your key automatically closes instead of automatically opens. So basically all those times the key opened in your pocket, now you can make it so it automatically closes instead. So if you accidentally press the button, it doesn't do anything. I think most Wrangler owners don't ever use the key. I do a fair amount just because I have manual locks. But those of you with automatic doors and automatic start, you don't really ever need to use the key.
@Tredsdert

Having followed all your posts and what all you have done with your JL , I figured the day would come when you would have your JL's, RFID chip implanted into your finger..

Yes, with the chip implant you would no longer need that Waterproof Sport Key you purchased from @Threedom a while back. You could just push the button with that finger..

Geeeez, I could do the chip placement for you. About 30 mins procedure plus time for the local anesthetic to kick in. I have the sterile tools, 4.0 Ethicon Nylon Suture and the know how.... and sterile dsg material for wrap up post procedure.

The Ethicon is non-absorbabe so I'd also have to schedule you in for suture removal in 7 days post implant of the chip.

Let me know.... :like:

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
@Tredsdert

Having followed all your posts and what all you have done with your JL , I figured the day would come when you would have your JL's, RFID chip implanted into your finger..

Yes, with the chip implant you would no longer need that Waterproof Sport Key you purchased from @Threedom a while back. You could just push the button with that finger..

Geeeez, I could do the chip placement for you.
I have the sterile tools, 4.0 Ethicon Nylon Suture and the know how....

The Ethicon is non-absorbabe so I'd also have to schedule you in for suture removal in 7 days post implant of the chip.

Let me know.... :like:
You're a doctor?

My ultimate goal is to make my Jeep so ugly and obnoxious that even the most desperate of thieves won't look twice at it. And then I will take some duct tape and I will tape the RFID chip to the start button itself. And then I never have to worry about carrying anything in my pockets.

You know realistically speaking if I added a really well hidden kill switch, I could probably do that too. And just melt the RFID chip into the push button start.

Jeep Wrangler JL Possible reason the JL key fob is so big - waterproof friends-joey-tribbiani (9)

BasicJeepDude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
Occupation
Banking | Leadership Development
Your answer and more can be found at the Threedom Fob 101 thread..

You will find a ton of JL/JT related fob info here.. Well worth reading through the whole thread..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🪛-fob-101-know-thy-jl-key-fob🪛.88719/

With any JL/JT..
In short though.... No battery and circuit board in the picture means you must physically press the RFID chip or the RFID chip in a holder against the start button.... you depress firmly while holding brake pedal down and the JL/JT will start / is driveable.

Do read the whole Fob 101 thread..
Thanks! I'm new to this forum, so that is much appreciated.
Sponsored