Possible new camping tent

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I haven't had that particular model, but I did have a "truck tent" that set up in the bed of a pickup. great idea, but even with a little wind, the poles tend to want to "wander" & that's not a good idea for preserving the paint.
one thing (I would classify it as a con) i noticed in the pictures is the abundance of straps going every which way: including 2 that attach to the wipers..to me, that has disaster written all over it as one can NEVER be certain that, while camping, the wind will cooperate. wind pics up and now you're looking at not only damaged wipers, but the possibility of paint damage from the straps and buckles (who knows, maybe even wiper arm pieces). the idea is good, but I would hope there were similar items out there with better tent/vehicle integration

OP
OP
JeepNomad

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I haven't had that particular model, but I did have a "truck tent" that set up in the bed of a pickup. great idea, but even with a little wind, the poles tend to want to "wander" & that's not a good idea for preserving the paint.
one thing (I would classify it as a con) i noticed in the pictures is the abundance of straps going every which way: including 2 that attach to the wipers..to me, that has disaster written all over it as one can NEVER be certain that, while camping, the wind will cooperate. wind pics up and now you're looking at not only damaged wipers, but the possibility of paint damage from the straps and buckles (who knows, maybe even wiper arm pieces). the idea is good, but I would hope there were similar items out there with better tent/vehicle integration
Thanks for the input. Yeah, the wiper straps did concern me. I will find another way to strap that part of the tent down. Doesn't seem to smart strapping anything to flimsy wiper blades.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I've had some Rightline stowage bags in the past (I think I still have a couple of them in the garage, actually) and I wasn't impressed. The zipper pulls they use are pretty low quality and got hung up pretty often. Of the two bags I think I still have, I don't believe either of them have functional zippers anymore. For similar money, I think you could find some options for a quality ground tent.

As far as the design is concerned, I don't really see the appeal of leaving the Jeep open. I'd personally prefer a quality standalone ground tent and the ability to close the Jeep at night. This is of particular importance where I live because I'm in bear country so I make it a habit to put all my food away in the Jeep at night (also why I'm looking at all the wonderful RTT's that are out of my budget). What about the design appeals to you?

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I’ve used that one. Didn’t attach anything to the wipers. It survived a pretty heavy wind one night but the straps bang around the Jeep all night.

I actually enjoyed having the Jeep open. We slept in the back and had all our supplies in the tent. Kind of like having a room addition. Guess it just depends on where you’re camping and how you wanna sleep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepNomad

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I've had some Rightline stowage bags in the past (I think I still have a couple of them in the garage, actually) and I wasn't impressed. The zipper pulls they use are pretty low quality and got hung up pretty often. Of the two bags I think I still have, I don't believe either of them have functional zippers anymore. For similar money, I think you could find some options for a quality ground tent.

As far as the design is concerned, I don't really see the appeal of leaving the Jeep open. I'd personally prefer a quality standalone ground tent and the ability to close the Jeep at night. This is of particular importance where I live because I'm in bear country so I make it a habit to put all my food away in the Jeep at night (also why I'm looking at all the wonderful RTT's that are out of my budget). What about the design appeals to you?
Thanks for the info. I never really heard of Rightline before seeing this tent which is why I was asking for info. Talking about the zipper quality is exactly the advice I was looking for.

OP
OP
JeepNomad

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I’ve used that one. Didn’t attach anything to the wipers. It survived a pretty heavy wind one night but the straps bang around the Jeep all night.

I actually enjoyed having the Jeep open. We slept in the back and had all our supplies in the tent. Kind of like having a room addition. Guess it just depends on where you’re camping and how you wanna sleep.
Thanks for the reply. I hear ya on the straps slapping against the jeep in wind. I had already thought of wrapping them with rags after set up to avoid the noise and scratching.
Sponsored