Sponsored

Possible FCA Lemon? FYI the FU to you from FCA part of it.

JKtoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About 8 Wranglers later...2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Do not waste your time like I did trying to work out a buyback directly with FCA.

I’ve taken pride during this lifetime in never having been litigious, never even been to small claims court. However, after a couple months of FCA giving me the run around, for the first time in my life, I hired a lawyer for help.

While ignoring me for months, FCA all of a sudden developed ears and responded ASAP to the lemon law firm that they will buy back my lemon Ram Limited 4x4.

Even then, FCA doesn’t give a 💩 about customer loyalty.

I’ve had many, about 20, Rams and Wranglers going back 25 plus years. Some model years have had more hiccups than others. I hung in there, went through the fixes. They just couldn’t fix the current Ram.

So now, several more months since FCA said they’d buy the lemon back, they still don’t have the paperwork together.

And, FCA has known the $800 yearly registration is due tomorrow for months.

They’ve been reminded of the yearly $800 DMV registration fee coming due via the lemon law attorney three times this month. FCA doesn’t care.

So, I sit here with a RAM truck that can’t really safely be driven, (it’s a fuel issue) the CA registration due tomorrow.

If DMV is not paid by 30 days from tomorrow, a 30 percent penalty is added to the $800.

If I non op it, then it will have to be flat bedded to the dealer, or face even higher DMV penalties if caught on the road driving it to the dealer, when FCA gets around to finally setting a turn in date.

The fuel issue is I can’t put fuel in it as you can’t get the gas station fuel nozzle to release for up to 30 minutes or so and gas flies out and all over during the battle to disconnect the fuel nozzle.

The Ram had several “redesigned and updated” fuel neck replacements and was in the shop multiple times adding up to 45 days plus sitting in service while I hoped the issue was finally fixed each time. I do love my Ram trucks after all.

I have no issue with my dealer service advisor or the dealer techs. They did/do their all with what FCA gives them for “new designed” parts and with what the Star case team tells them to do for corrections/fixes.

Huge Mopar guy here since childhood. They’re in my blood!

So now, the Ram has been sitting with a near empty tank in my yard for months. Just enough fuel to get it back to the dealer for turn in.

Understanding crap happens, and once again being a lifelong Mopar guy, I asked if FCA would throw a bone, maybe a couple hundred bucks off incentive to me to stay with the brand and buy another FCA product.

You know how FCA randomly sends out those $500 off cards, in addition to what you negotiate with a dealer, in the mail over the years? Anyway, from FCA, F U, nope. FCA also has no interest in just sending me a like replacement truck.

I’m a big boy, this isn’t whining, just sharing my experience so others with FCA lemons get on it with a lawyer involved quicker than I did for a resolve that takes, well, in my case, up to 8 months so far.

What I also didn’t know about lemon law, at least in CA, is that the vehicle manufacturer pays your attorney fees.

In terms of buyback, at least in CA, it’s your purchase price back plus taxes, less an amount for the miles you drove pre the first complaint about a repeat issue.

Lemon law also pertains to a used vehicle you may have purchased as long as it is still under factory warranty. I had no idea about that either.

So, if you take a new vehicle in at 900 miles for what becomes a repeat issue, 900 miles of mileage use is deducted, even if by the time you finally turn it in under lemon law it has 20k miles on it. If you have the issue at 900 miles but wait to take it in until 5k miles, then 5k miles of “trouble free miles” is deducted from whatever the mileage finally is when you turn it in. Go in sooner than later!

Say you buy a used vehicle, but under factory warranty, with 5000 miles on it. You first take it in for what ends up being a repeat lemon problem at 5300 miles. Though you’ve only driven it 300 miles, 5300 miles of “no trouble use” will be deducted. This is where you get totally screwed if the prior owner just opted to dump their lemon on a lot and thus the next unsuspecting buyer gets this brunt of charge back of the prior owners miles.

The prior owner takes the hit on their trade in value to just get rid of it instead of going through the lemon law process. The next buyer then takes further hits for miles they didn’t even drive when they get entangled in the mess as the next owner. But, on the plus, at least lemon law does still give that next buyer some recourse.

This all based on what I’ve learned going through the lemon law based on California’s version of it.

Any vehicle you Google with lemon attached to it will bring up examples.
I get that. It’s the FU timeline from FCA that is really turning me off from a lifelong infatuation with Jeep and Ram.

I already told the dealer to resell the replacement Rubicon I’d ordered that just came in this week since FCA corporate can’t and doesn’t care to get off the pot.

The Ram is paid for so no complicated formula of payments or lease numbers for FCA to figure out, just purchase price plus tax, less mileage use up to the first time the Ram went in for the problem. Yet, again, many months later since they told the lemon law firm they’d buy it back and nothing.

Hope all this helps you or someone you know in cutting to the lemon law buyback chase with FCA quicker if you have an FCA lemon now or end up with one down the road.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Thank you for the insight. Your experience may be a reflection of a pervasive corporate culture that hides in bureaucratic ineptitude and disregard for the customer. I understand complexity can make fixes difficult but FCA’s lack of response is beyond unreasonable. Seems like punitive damages should apply.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe, Endeavor, Tundra
Do not waste your time like I did trying to work out a buyback directly with FCA.

I’ve taken pride during this lifetime in never having been litigious, never even been to small claims court. However, after a couple months of FCA giving me the run around, for the first time in my life, I hired a lawyer for help.

While ignoring me for months, FCA all of a sudden developed ears and responded ASAP to the lemon law firm that they will buy back my lemon Ram Limited 4x4.

I’ve had many, about 20, Rams and Wranglers going back 25 plus years. Some model years have had more hiccups than others. I hung in there, went through the fixes. They just couldn’t fix the current Ram.

So now, several more months since FCA said they’d buy the lemon back, they still don’t have the paperwork together.

They’ve been reminded of the yearly $800 DMV registration fee coming due via the lemon law attorney three times this month. FCA doesn’t care.

So, I sit here with a RAM truck that can’t really safely be driven, (it’s a fuel issue) the CA registration due tomorrow.

If DMV is not paid by 30 days from tomorrow, a 30 percent penalty is added to the $800.

If I non op it, then it will have to be flat bedded to the dealer, or face even higher DMV penalties if caught on the road driving it to the dealer, when FCA gets around to finally setting a turn in date.

The fuel issue is I can’t put fuel in it as you can’t get the gas station fuel nozzle to release for up to 30 minutes or so and gas flies out and all over during the battle to disconnect the fuel nozzle.

The Ram had several “redesigned and updated” fuel neck replacements and was in the shop multiple times adding up to 45 days plus sitting in service while I hoped the issue was finally fixed each time. I do love my Ram trucks after all.

I have no issue with my dealer service advisor or the dealer techs. They did/do their all with what FCA gives them for “new designed” parts and with what the Star case team tells them to do for corrections/fixes.

So now, the Ram has been sitting with a near empty tank in my yard for months. Just enough fuel to get it back to the dealer for turn in.

Understanding crap happens, and once again being a lifelong Mopar guy, I asked if FCA would throw a bone, maybe a couple hundred bucks off incentive to me to stay with the brand and buy another FCA product.

You know how FCA randomly sends out those $500 off cards, in addition to what you negotiate with a dealer, in the mail over the years? Anyway, from FCA, F U, nope. FCA also has no interest in just sending me a like replacement truck.

I’m a big boy, this isn’t whining, just sharing my experience so others with FCA lemons get on it with a lawyer involved quicker than I did for a resolve that takes, well, in my case, up to 8 months so far.

What I also didn’t know about lemon law, at least in CA, is that the vehicle manufacturer pays your attorney fees.

In terms of buyback, at least in CA, it’s your purchase price back plus taxes, less an amount for the miles you drove pre the first complaint about a repeat issue.

Lemon law also pertains to a used vehicle you may have purchased as long as it is still under factory warranty. I had no idea about that either.

So, if you take a new vehicle in at 900 miles for what becomes a repeat issue, 900 miles of mileage use is deducted, even if by the time you finally turn it in under lemon law it has 20k miles on it. If you have the issue at 900 miles but wait to take it in until 5k miles, then 5k miles of “trouble free miles” is deducted from whatever the mileage finally is when you turn it in. Go in sooner than later!

Say you buy a used vehicle, but under factory warranty, with 5000 miles on it. You first take it in for what ends up being a repeat lemon problem at 5300 miles. Though you’ve only driven it 300 miles, 5300 miles of “no trouble use” will be deducted. This is where you get totally screwed if the prior owner just opted to dump their lemon on a lot and thus the next unsuspecting buyer gets this brunt of charge back of the prior owners miles.

The prior owner takes the hit on their trade in value to just get rid of it instead of going through the lemon law process. The next buyer then takes further hits for miles they didn’t even drive when they get entangled in the mess as the next owner. But, on the plus, at least lemon law does still give that next buyer some recourse.

This all based on what I’ve learned going through the lemon law based on California’s version of it.

I get that. It’s the FU timeline from FCA that is really turning me off from a lifelong infatuation with Jeep and Ram.

I already told the dealer to resell the replacement Rubicon I’d ordered that just came in this week since FCA corporate can’t and doesn’t care to get off the pot.

The Ram is paid for so no complicated formula of payments or lease numbers for FCA to figure out, just purchase price plus tax, less mileage use up to the first time the Ram went in for the problem. Yet, again, many months later since they told the lemon law firm they’d buy it back and nothing.

Hope all this helps you or someone you know in cutting to the lemon law buyback chase with FCA quicker if you have an FCA lemon now or end up with one down the road.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully your Ram gets bought out soon. If not, you may want to look at the fix where some people have added a GM vent to the fill line to avoid spill overs. It is an issue on some Gladiators (some were fixed after dealer found the vent was not connected properly) and others with JK/JL added a bigger GM vent. I don't know if it will work or not.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango

Did FCA give you any options to choose from?

OP
OP
JKtoJL

JKtoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did FCA give you any options to choose from?
Nope. And now many months into the lemon law, FCA, or is it Stellantis at this point, finally send the buyback paperwork to the lawyer the other day. It’s wrong, to FCA’s financial advantage of course.

So, back the wrong paperwork goes to have the financial numbers corrected.
This of course will have to go through multiple FCA departments for approval for who knows how long.

When those papers come back eventually, it could be another 2 months after that before FCA sets a turn in date for the lemon. Good grief!

As mentioned, don’t even mess around with FCA’s internal buyback department as it just wastes and adds on more time to the ordeal. I attempted this route at first before getting fed up and contacting a lemon law lawyer, of which FCA must pay his bill on my behalf. After leaving me hanging for a long time, they returned his call right away months back,

It also just cost FCA another $800 in regards to my buyback as the yearly registration came do, which FCA was told about continually in advance.

Meanwhile, as I can’t put gas in the truck without station pumps sticking to/getting knotted to the Ram for up to a half hour each fill up, it just sits in the yard as I pay insurance etc on it.

So again, while I’ve not been litigious pre this situation, more of one to find a resolve between me and whomever instead, when it comes to Lemons and FCA, get a lawyer ASAP to get the ball rolling. They will still F you over but at a faster pace than if you go it alone with FCA.

Meanwhile, I’ve ordered and passed on two replacement FCA vehicles that were built to my specs, to be the Ram replacement, over the months and arrived during all this not being resolved yet.

Sponsored

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Nope. And now many months into the lemon law, FCA, or is it Stellantis at this point, finally send the buyback paperwork to the lawyer the other day. It’s wrong, to FCA’s financial advantage of course.

So, back the wrong paperwork goes to have the financial numbers corrected.
This of course will have to go through multiple FCA departments for approval for who knows how long.

When those papers come back eventually, it could be another 2 months after that before FCA sets a turn in date for the lemon. Good grief!

As mentioned, don’t even mess around with FCA’s internal buyback department as it just wastes and adds on more time to the ordeal. I attempted this route at first before getting fed up and contacting a lemon law lawyer, of which FCA must pay his bill on my behalf. After leaving me hanging for a long time, they returned his call right away months back,

It also just cost FCA another $800 in regards to my buyback as the yearly registration came do, which FCA was told about continually in advance.

Meanwhile, as I can’t put gas in the truck without station pumps sticking to/getting knotted to the Ram for up to a half hour each fill up, it just sits in the yard as I pay insurance etc on it.

So again, while I’ve not been litigious pre this situation, more of one to find a resolve between me and whomever instead, when it comes to Lemons and FCA, get a lawyer ASAP to get the ball rolling. They will still F you over but at a faster pace than if you go it alone with FCA.

Meanwhile, I’ve ordered and passed on two replacement FCA vehicles that were built to my specs, to be the Ram replacement, over the months and arrived during all this not being resolved yet.
Oh wow. My case manager had gave me 3 options. First one being a trade off(i declined that one), Second one was letting their engineer fix it (i declined that one), and Third one was to do a buyback. The buyback is either i let them get the car and i find something else within the Chrysler family or i just walk away and let them take the vehicle back and get my stuff back. My case manager is in the process now giving me a my first payment i just made back.

I had bought a defective brand new 2020 Durango gt plus last in November from Texas (i live in Arkansas). Soon as i signed the papers and started up the vehicle the check engine and stop/start lights come on. They delivered the vehicle down here in Arkansas to me. I honestly don't know if they actually drove it down here or delivered it on a truck so the mileage came out as 320 miles on it. Dealership i bought it from in Texas told me to take it to a dealership here in Arkansas. I took it 4 times they couldn't fix it. Dealership i bought it from refused to take it back. I found out before i even bought the dealership i bought it from in Texas had did some repairs on it. The dealership in Texas was well aware of this problem before they sold it to me. I had called FCA back in December 2020 and complained to them and told them i want to give them their vehicle back to them. The first case manager i had was lazy all he said to me was to keep taking it up there and he's going to document everything. I kept sending him emails complaining and then he transferred me over to a new department. I don't know if the girl is higher up then him or what. I am now in the process off waiting to see if i get approved for the buyback. She said it will take a total of 8 weeks for the whole process with buying back car and other stuff.

OP
OP
JKtoJL

JKtoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow. My case manager had gave me 3 options. First one being a trade off(i declined that one), Second one was letting their engineer fix it (i declined that one), and Third one was to do a buyback. The buyback is either i let them get the car and i find something else within the Chrysler family or i just walk away and let them take the vehicle back and get my stuff back. My case manager is in the process now giving me a my first payment i just made back.

I had bought a defective brand new 2020 Durango gt plus last in November from Texas (i live in Arkansas). Soon as i signed the papers and started up the vehicle the check engine and stop/start lights come on. They delivered the vehicle down here in Arkansas to me. I honestly don't know if they actually drove it down here or delivered it on a truck so the mileage came out as 320 miles on it. Dealership i bought it from in Texas told me to take it to a dealership here in Arkansas. I took it 4 times they couldn't fix it. Dealership i bought it from refused to take it back. I found out before i even bought the dealership i bought it from in Texas had did some repairs on it. The dealership in Texas was well aware of this problem before they sold it to me. I had called FCA back in December 2020 and complained to them and told them i want to give them their vehicle back to them. The first case manager i had was lazy all he said to me was to keep taking it up there and he's going to document everything. I kept sending him emails complaining and then he transferred me over to a new department. I don't know if the girl is higher up then him or what. I am now in the process off waiting to see if i get approved for the buyback. She said it will take a total of 8 weeks for the whole process with buying back car and other stuff.
Yep, heard the same thing from FCA re buy back initially.

Hope you fair better with them directly than I did,

I really wanted the Ram and did give the engineers, star cases etc several chances and a couple months to get the Ram right pre ending up in the FCA buyback department that went no where for too long thus finally getting a lemon law firm involved on my behalf.last July.

Again, hoping it plays out easier for you.

Keep us posted!

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Yep, heard the same thing from FCA re buy back initially.

Hope you fair better with them directly than I did,

I really wanted the Ram and did give the engineers, star cases etc several chances and a couple months to get the Ram right pre ending up in the FCA buyback department that went no where for too long thus finally getting a lemon law firm involved on my behalf.last July.

Again, hoping it plays out easier for you.

Keep us posted!
Did they offer you some payments back? Did they tell you, you had to open a star case before a buyback?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JKtoJL

JKtoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they tell you, you had to open a star case before a buyback?
The truck was paid for in full on purchase so no payments to factor in or get credit for.

this makes it all the more ridiculous their buyback figure on the papers just sent were wrong to FCA’s advantage. No hard formula to figure out regarding payments, interest etc. just what I paid plus taxes, DMV, less mileage I drove it before taking it for the first attempted fix. This happened on my first fill up btw.

initially, I really just wanted the truck back and to be able to put gas in it.
I did not want to give it back.

Plus, I like my service advisor and techs so I hung in there as they attempted fixes, got the factory engineers in the mix etc over a good while.

after many failed fix attempts, FCA said they were sending me to the buyback department.

at this point it had already been 45 or so total business days the truck was sitting at the dealership over many trips in to try to fix the issue.

After more weeks going by with no or poor communication from the FCA buyback department I contacted a few lemon law firms, sent in my various invoices etc to them. Each firm I contacted wanted the case.

I chose a firm, handed everything over to them. Within days, FCA was returning their calls.

If I was you, knowing what I know now, I’d be searching online and sending off inquiries to Lemon Law firms while waiting in limbo at the hands of the FCA buyback department.

I want to clarify again, I’m a giant Mopar guy since childhood. Been a good 20 or so Rams and Wranglers in the mix.

Some years have had their issues...engine casting problems with the 2013 JK line etc etc for other years as well. I hung in there patiently , they got them fixed.

However, with multiple attempts and no solution in sight, cover your own ass as customer loyalty and timelines mean nothing to FCA corporate. Even less if you don’t have your own lemon law representation.

Sponsored

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
The truck was paid for in full on purchase so no payments to factor in or get credit for.

this makes it all the more ridiculous their buyback figure on the papers just sent were wrong to FCA’s advantage. No hard formula to figure out regarding payments, interest etc. just what I paid plus taxes, DMV, less mileage I drove it before taking it for the first attempted fix. This happened on my first fill up btw.

initially, I really just wanted the truck back and to be able to put gas in it.
I did not want to give it back.

Plus, I like my service advisor and techs so I hung in there as they attempted fixes, got the factory engineers in the mix etc over a good while.

after many failed fix attempts, FCA said they were sending me to the buyback department.

at this point it had already been 45 or so total business days the truck was sitting at the dealership over many trips in to try to fix the issue.

After more weeks going by with no or poor communication from the FCA buyback department I contacted a few lemon law firms, sent in my various invoices etc to them. Each firm I contacted wanted the case.

I chose a firm, handed everything over to them. Within days, FCA was returning their calls.

If I was you, knowing what I know now, I’d be searching online and sending off inquiries to Lemon Law firms while waiting in limbo at the hands of the FCA buyback department.

I want to clarify again, I’m a giant Mopar guy since childhood. Been a good 20 or so Rams and Wranglers in the mix.

Some years have had their issues...engine casting problems with the 2013 JK line etc etc for other years as well. I hung in there patiently , they got them fixed.

However, with multiple attempts and no solution in sight, cover your own ass as customer loyalty and timelines mean nothing to FCA corporate. Even less if you don’t have your own lemon law representation.
Did you buy your car new? Did it start messing up like this at how many miles?

OP
OP
JKtoJL

JKtoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you buy your car new? Did it start messing up like this at how many miles?
On first fill up attempt. Maybe 300 miles in.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
On first fill up attempt. Maybe 300 miles in.
Wow. Ya everything you telling me makes me want to go ahead and get a attorney. I haven't even got approve yet for the buyback. How long did you say it took them to tell you that you got approve for the buyback?

OP
OP
JKtoJL

JKtoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. Ya everything you telling me makes me want to go ahead and get a attorney. I haven't even got approve yet for the buyback. How long did you say it took them to tell you that you got approve for the buyback?
FCA buyback department wasted about two months of my time. Kept ignoring the situation, passing the buck so to speak,

once I got the lawyer involved, he got in direct contact with FCA lawyers who returned his call quickly, agreed to a buyback based on all he put before them.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
FCA buyback department wasted about two months of my time. Kept ignoring the situation, passing the buck so to speak,

once I got the lawyer involved, he got in direct contact with FCA lawyers who returned his call quickly, agreed to a buyback based on all he put before them.
Wait so you didn't have to go to court? Did yall settle out of court?
Sponsored