Possible end of V-6 for Wranglers? [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

exrub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL, 2014 JKU, and a few others
This may not mean anything, but I received a survey from Jeep today. The questions in the survey were focused around 2.0L Turbo vs. 3.6L V6. One of the last questions was whether I would still get a Wrangler or not get one if only the 2.0L Turbo was offered.

Just thought it was interesting.
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I got a similar survey back in late 2018 after I got mine, you could tell it was basically “why didn’t you buy a 2.0T??”

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
It all boils down to the perceived reliability of the engines. The 3.6 engine has much more data than the 2.0 turbo, so in my case, I wanted the 3.6 because of what I had read about the engine in previous jeeps and other Dodge vehicles. We have a 2012 Dodge Journey with the Pentastar 3.6, and it is still going strong, with almost 100,000 miles. I just love the engine. Maybe in 10 years if this poll is taken again, the 2.0 may come out on top. Just give it time.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
It all boils down to the perceived reliability of the engines.
That may be the customer's perspective, but the manufacturer has to meet emissions and gas mileage regulations for the fleet and make as much money as possible doing so. Sell some V8's, need to sell a few 4 cyls to compensate. Get the V6 power hard core fans into V8's, for a carefully chosen (and likely high) price, the rest can drive 4 cyls - meet regulations, increase profit - that's what that survey sounds like to me.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I bought a 981 Porsche Cayman S a couple years ago as it was supposed to be the last generation Cayman with the flat six as the new Cayman 718 was going to a turbo'd 4 banger.....Well, the 4 banger didn't go over well with the Porsche buyers mostly due to the stigma and the sound and recently brought back the flat six to the 718 GTS and GT4.....I know people don't buy Jeeps for their speed or their sound so it is a bit different, but I can see Jeep doing something similar to what Porsche did in the future ....maybe reserve the V6 for the Rubicon only or something

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
This may not mean anything, but I received a survey from Jeep today. The questions in the survey were focused around 2.0L Turbo vs. 3.6L V6. One of the last questions was whether I would still get a Wrangler or not get one if only the 2.0L Turbo was offered.

Just thought it was interesting.
I have a 3.6 Pentastar but have driven many Turbo 4 JLs as Rental Cars due to my job. Given their fun factor and the fact that so far they have not had any recalls, I would still buy a Wrangler if the Turbo 4 was the only Gasoline Option. Taking nothing away from the Pentastar as it is the established work horse in the industry. But we all know what happens to the horse when it gets too old. 🔫 🔫 🔫 🔫

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Jeep stated previously that the 2.0 was not stout enough for the Gladiator.

The V6 on the other hand has proven itself in 1/2 ton trucks as well as multiple other vehicles across the spectrum.

No, I would not purchase that motor in any vehicle if Jeep herself doesn't trust it in any application.

Over 10 million V6's in production reliably and Jeep wants me to settle for being a guinea pig on a lighter duty motor?

No thank you.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Wake me up when the 2.0T doesn't sound and feel like a Nissan Versa drivetrain. It's a truck, an off-road sports car - it should have a burbly V6 at minimum under the hood. I probably wouldn't have bought one if the 4-cylinder was the only option, especially for the 2 door which doesn't get 392 or diesel trims.

Love my JLR to death but I'd easily go Bronco and option the twin turbo V6 now that we've got options, in case Jeep goes full econobox.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
The V6 will eventually end, at least as we all know it.

All auto makers are looking ahead and see the writing on the wall. They’ve been studying electric and hybrids. The oil industry too has been diversifying. A company that does not change with the time eventually dies.

The IBM typewriter will never be replaced in the office industry. The steam engine is here to stay. Phone books will always be needed. And here we are.

They all know it. We all know it.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It’s funny how popular the manual transmissions are on this forum. But in reality in the real world nobody wants/buys them. Putting emotion aside the sales numbers prove that fact. Like the Corvette like Ford pick up trucks eventually the stick shift will be gone and they’ll still sell as many as they can build. Sales numbers are facts.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
The V6 will eventually end, at least as we all know it.

All auto makers are looking ahead and see the writing on the wall. They’ve been studying electric and hybrids. The oil industry too has been diversifying. A company that does not change with the time eventually dies.

The IBM typewriter will never be replaced in the office industry. The steam engine is here to stay. Phone books will always be needed. And here we are.

They all know it. We all know it.
California, Massachusetts, and the EU have already imposed legislation to ban all new gas car sales by 2035.... More states and automakers are getting on board with this....

There is a possibility the JL will be the last gas powered Wrangler generation if legislators get there way.

Don't shoot the messenger!

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
It’s funny how popular the manual transmissions are on this forum. But in reality in the real world nobody wants/buys them. Putting emotion aside the sales numbers prove that fact. Like the Corvette like Ford pick up trucks eventually the stick shift will be gone and they’ll still sell as many as they can build. Sales numbers are facts.
I have one of the best manual transmissions on the planet in my garage, and I love it.

A7366E7F-3860-4045-B0E0-5A8C1A032792.jpeg

But I get no joy out of driving stick in an application like the Jeep, especially when it has such a great 8AT available.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.