Sponsored

Possible deal breaker if you have wide shoulders...

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I went to my local dealer who happened to have 4 JLUs on the lot and I got to test drive a Flame Red JKU Sport. I was expecting to be blown away by the new model, but I had a few issues I noticed behind the wheel.

I'm a bigger dude, size 2XL (6'1/260) in most clothes with very broad shoulders. First, the driver's seat didn't travel back as far as I wanted it to. I set the seat to the rearmost position and still felt too close to the steering wheel. I pulled on the cheesy recline STRAP??? (WTF JEEP) and put the seatback where I was comfortable. Also, it seemed the seat didn't go as low as I wanted and it had a forward tilt to the bottom seat cushion.

In that position, my left shoulder was touching the B-pillar while I was driving. I tried to readjust the seat but I couldn't get comfortable without putting myself too upright. I tried to adjust the steering wheel up further but it didn't go as high as I wanted. It did drive very smoothly, the hardtop had the optional headliners installed. But I don't know if the lack of shoulder room is going to be a deal breaker for me.

I never had this problem in my 3 JKs and I wonder if I'm alone in this matter. I loved the looks of the JL which was parked in a row with a ton of JKs.
Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I had this problem on my 2003 wrangler. My shoulders banged into the door with every bump and turn. Drove me crazy. I have only sat in the JL not driven it yet but it does seem a little tight but should be fine for me (6'2" 220).

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Can you measure yourself from deltoid to deltoid laterally? I'm around 21 inches wide

JLU jax

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In the last 3 weeks I have driven my JLU 1200 miles including one long trip and was way more comfortable than when I had my JKU. I do lean the seat back and release the lumbar about half but it feels like I have a lot more room than in the JK. (6’3” and 230).

OP
OP
Armycop

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know whether the pillar was reshaped or if the position was changed between models. On paper they are close to the same but it seems like the driver's seat is closer to the B-pillar. I didn't have a problem fitting in my 2012 JK 2 door. I should have tried both the JK and the JL side by side since they were parked right next to each other.

Sponsored

JLU jax

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just went out and sat in mine. My shoulder size is 22”. With my seat leaned back, my left deltoid hits the B pillar but I didn’t notice it before now because my arm goes right onto the door armrest. It does feel different but like I said it has not been uncomfortable. Prob need to go sit in another one at the showroom and make sure you find the most comfortable position.

071CD79D-D4BE-45F5-AFBC-E0D567750311.jpeg

OP
OP
Armycop

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the JK had an indent under the seatbelt mount (1st pic) and the JL protrudes a little bit more (2nd pic). I'm going to have to fiddle with it more when I have more time for a longer drive. I only went around the block with the salesman.

Screenshot_2018-02-14-16-47-50.png

Screenshot_2018-02-14-16-46-49.png

DavidNJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet
I just went out and sat in mine. My shoulder size is 22”. With my seat leaned back, my left deltoid hits the B pillar but I didn’t notice it before now because my arm goes right onto the door armrest. It does feel different but like I said it has not been uncomfortable. Prob need to go sit in another one at the showroom and make sure you find the most comfortable position.

071CD79D-D4BE-45F5-AFBC-E0D567750311.jpeg
I'm 23.5" wide, delt to delt. Only 5-10. Shoulder pivots outside the car on a Mini or early Miata. The Recaro seats of a Focus ST tried to amputate my arms. Fit a JK, barely.

I'm against the door in the JL, not the B pillar, but it is hopeless. A combination of the seat to close to the door (the door-to-door shoulder room is effectively the same as the JK) and padding on the door.

Very disappointed.

Update: found bracket that adds legroom, but not shoulder room: https://misch4x4.com/wrangler-jl-bigboy-brackets.html

Last edited:

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My shoulder hits the B pillar. Have not had the doors off of the JL yet but with the JK it was nice to lay my shoulder on the B pillar when conering with the doors off.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I went to my local dealer who happened to have 4 JLUs on the lot and I got to test drive a Flame Red JKU Sport. I was expecting to be blown away by the new model, but I had a few issues I noticed behind the wheel.

I'm a bigger dude, size 2XL (6'1/260) in most clothes with very broad shoulders. First, the driver's seat didn't travel back as far as I wanted it to. I set the seat to the rearmost position and still felt too close to the steering wheel. I pulled on the cheesy recline STRAP??? (WTF JEEP) and put the seatback where I was comfortable. Also, it seemed the seat didn't go as low as I wanted and it had a forward tilt to the bottom seat cushion.

In that position, my left shoulder was touching the B-pillar while I was driving. I tried to readjust the seat but I couldn't get comfortable without putting myself too upright. I tried to adjust the steering wheel up further but it didn't go as high as I wanted. It did drive very smoothly, the hardtop had the optional headliners installed. But I don't know if the lack of shoulder room is going to be a deal breaker for me.

I never had this problem in my 3 JKs and I wonder if I'm alone in this matter. I loved the looks of the JL which was parked in a row with a ton of JKs.
I’m sorry you are having this problem!

I’m 6’1”, about 210, 23” across deltoids. I have always tended to bring my seat forward a little bit, probably closer than what big guys are comfortable with. I like being a little forward. I’ve banged around off road and haven’t hurt my shoulders, which are trashed.

After being jammed inside military vehicles with full battle-rattle, weapon, etc, for thirty years, I guess I’ve adjusted well to cramped spaces. Perhaps if you spend some more time in the seat at the dealership, you can find your sweet spot. Good luck, and thank you for your service!

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am big and I have this problem in almost every vehicle. I still find the JL to be comfy and have more room than a JK. DId you lower the seat all the way down?

Big like 28 inches across from deltoid to deltoid.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I’m 6’ and 280. I’m a big boy (though getting smaller as I’ve lost 50 and still going).

I’m fine in the JL. Main thing is it’s not a sedan. There’s no reason to sit back super far. I don’t have the seat slid back anywhere near the end of its tracks. I slid forward till I have about an inch or two of knee room. My knees are closer to 90 degrees than stretched out. This also makes the clutch easier to actuate.

The wheel is pushed in all the way. I think I even have the seat raised a notch or two. And the back is upright not reclined.

I’ve done a 7hr drive and was comfier than my volvo with more shoulder room. The b pillar is behind me.

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
For a $55K vehicle, the seats in the JLU are embarrassing. There is no reason why they cant equip these vehicles with a higher quality, better supportive and better quality seat overall.

vf171ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Overland, Cherokee, Sonata, Altima
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For a $55K vehicle, the seats in the JLU are embarrassing. There is no reason why they cant equip these vehicles with a higher quality, better supportive and better quality seat overall.
When I bought my Jeep I was pushing 250 lbs (only 5'-10 though) and I love the seats. I have a lower back pain (rear ended when I was 20, 60+ mph) as well as a pinched nerve in my neck that affects my left arm and fingers. I love the seats in my Jeep more than any other vehicle I've owned other than my '05 Ram 3500. I drove both of them tens of thousands of miles on highways long stretches at a time. My Wrangler has been back and forth from Ohio to NC at least 7 times in the past 12 months. Loved every mile of it.

For my $45K Jeep I am pretty happy with the support and quality of the seats! (I do have a little background from the engineering side of it - I used to spec cab interiors for heavy equipment and seats were a big part of that)
Sponsored