Possible bent wheel via balance?

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
Just had my tires balanced. Dealer told me the one was bent and did the best they could. Those wheels were fine before I dropped them off. Can a balance machine bend one if not put on machine correctly?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Just had my tires balanced. Dealer told me the one was bent and did the best they could. Those wheels were fine before I dropped them off. Can a balance machine bend one if not put on machine correctly?
Absolutely. The bead breaker can bend it if the operator is not careful. I'm not saying they did it, of course, but the possibility does exist.

Edit: I immediately thought the tires were being mounted, too. If it’s balance only, then it’s likely it was bent before. I should’ve read more carefully.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Did they just balance them? OR did you have them switch the tires? From my knowledge it would be hard to bend a rim balancing a tire. They wouldn't be using a bead breaker for just a balance.
Good call. I immediately went to the bead breaker. If it’s balance only, then the rim was likely bent before you went in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shub_32

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
Absolutely. The bead breaker can bend it if the operator is not careful. I'm not saying they did it, of course, but the possibility does exist.

Edit: I immediately thought the tires were being mounted, too. If it’s balance only, then it’s likely it was bent before. I should’ve read more carefully.
Yes the tires were already mounted from Tire Rack. They were fine before I swapped them out . I Havnt installed them on my new Jeep. If it shakes, they had to have done it. Thanks!!!!

OP
OP
Shub_32

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
How much weight are we talking about on the combo to get the machine to say yes??
I would have to look at the paper if it even says it. He said he did the best he could to balance it. The wheels ran smooth as can be before. I never have them balanced but I figured after 10000 miles I would before I put them on the new jeep

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Can you expand on all the parts to the equation? Which wheels? Which tires? What size? I can point you in the correct direction to know exactly what's going on if I know the rest of the story.

OP
OP
Shub_32

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
Can you expand on all the parts to the equation? Which wheels? Which tires? What size? I can point you in the correct direction to know exactly what's going on if I know the rest of the story.
9A00B53C-D0C6-4A6B-A887-E16F845A5BE3.jpeg

7557B949-F7A7-4B62-9677-EE894E9461AF.jpeg

070FD16D-2EB4-42FA-8AD7-61FBF86980FE.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shub_32

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
I’m not at home now but there were at least 11 squares in a row. Lol Both have less then 10000 miles. Funny thing is one of my other wheels has two rows of 12 and some in top.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
The only way you're going to know the truth about the wheel is if you peel a tire off of it and spin the thing to see what's up. You can do it on your Jeep in the drive way. Or have the tire shop break it down. I can get into the finer details of how to measure runout should you care.

From looking at the stack of weight I'd believe it could be better. If it drives fine I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m not at home now but there were at least 11 squares in a row. Lol Both have less then 10000 miles. Funny thing is one of my other wheels has two rows of 12 and some in top.
I had a similar XD wheel on my JK. It didn’t take that much weight to balance them.

I recently had Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT tires in LT275/70R18, which are load range E, installed. They also didn’t require that much weight to balance on my stock 18” Sport Altitude wheels. These are known to be difficult tires to balance. Your KO2s should balance easier.

OP
OP
Shub_32

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
I guess my main reason for this post was to find out if the dealer may have bent it. It sounds like not. I’m just gonna use it as a spare after I put it on and see if it vibrates. It may have been bent the whole time I was using it but not noticeable. Thanks for all the replies
Sponsored