AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
*Update see last post

*Update Brought Jeep in for service and they stated I have a bad idler pulley. Of course its back ordered so I will update when fixed.

Would like to get some opinions from some 2.0T owners before I schedule a service appointment. Let me start with saying this is my second 2.0T JL my first was a sport and my current is a Rubicon. My current Rubicon seems to make a kinda high pitched chirp/cricket noise when idling sounds like a loud bearing or something that I did not notice on my sport.Not overly loud but def noticeable especially going through a drive through or outside of the vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Is this a Recon model (since title says 2.0T eTorque)?

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this a Recon model (since title says 2.0T eTorque)?
Nope its a 2019 Rubicon, Just bought new was a late 2019 build and they had the eTorques for the 2019 model years still.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an 18 JLUR with 2.0 eTorque. Doesn't make that sound you're describing and goes like a bat outta hell up 8-9k foot mountain passes.

In fact, the reason I bought the 2.0 was due to the higher torque and better drivability in the mountains where I live. It is much better going up steep grades vs. the 3.6.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
*Update Brought Jeep in for service and they stated I have a bad idler pulley. Of course its back ordered so I will update when fixed.

Would like to get some opinions from some 2.0T owners before I schedule a service appointment. Let me start with saying this is my second 2.0T JL my first was a sport and my current is a Rubicon. My current Rubicon seems to make a kinda high pitched chirp/cricket noise when idling sounds like a loud bearing or something that I did not notice on my sport.Not overly loud but def noticeable especially going through a drive through or outside of the vehicle.
@AlexJeepVB,
We are sorry to hear that you are having this trouble with your vehicle. If you would like our additional support while working with your dealer, feel free to send our team a private message. We would be happy to assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

TekSupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I've got an 18 JLUR with 2.0 eTorque. Doesn't make that sound you're describing and goes like a bat outta hell up 8-9k foot mountain passes.

In fact, the reason I bought the 2.0 was due to the higher torque and better drivability in the mountains where I live. It is much better going up steep grades vs. the 3.6.
This exactly, when I first read your description it sounded to me like the intake, ie pressure side, of the turbo was loose/leaking. If you had a bad idler pulley it maayyyybe was completely locked up and bogging the engine, never heard of that before but possible.
If this keeps up I hope you find the source, mine is a demon and I'd have nothing else powering the Jeep. Good luck.

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This exactly, when I first read your description it sounded to me like the intake, ie pressure side, of the turbo was loose/leaking. If you had a bad idler pulley it maayyyybe was completely locked up and bogging the engine, never heard of that before but possible.
If this keeps up I hope you find the source, mine is a demon and I'd have nothing else powering the Jeep. Good luck.
I think the power thing was in my head honestly. They gave me a loaner of a new Cherokee when it was in service and when I got back in the Rubicon it felt like a rocket ship. I think the 4.10 gears are delivering the power a little faster and I was used to the 3.45s in my sport with a little more mid range. They still haven't replaced the idler pulley yet so I'll report back after. If it doesn't fix the noise then Ill know something else is up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well update my Jeep has been in the shop for 2 days and of course the idler pulley didn't fix the noise. I also told them to check the turbo clamps and they told me everything was tight. There is a STAR case started and as of now they are still waiting to hear back from Chrysler. They said they were told to start the Jeep without the belt and it still made the noise. Not really what I wanted to happen with 300 miles on my new Rubicon.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well update my Jeep has been in the shop for 2 days and of course the idler pulley didn't fix the noise. I also told them to check the turbo clamps and they told me everything was tight. There is a STAR case started and as of now they are still waiting to hear back from Chrysler. They said they were told to start the Jeep without the belt and it still made the noise. Not really what I wanted to happen with 300 miles on my new Rubicon.
@AlexJeepVB,
We are sorry to hear about your experience so far with your Jeep ownership. If you would like our additional assistance while your vehicle is being serviced, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have a 2020 Recon - took delivery about a week ago. Like the way it drives though am surprised by the noticeable turbo whine...especially when window are down. Iā€™m guessing this is not what OP was hearing...

Sponsored

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2020 Recon - took delivery about a week ago. Like the way it drives though am surprised by the noticeable turbo whine...especially when window are down. Iā€™m guessing this is not what OP was hearing...
Nope I had a 2019 sport same engine and yea the turbo whine/e-torque whine was pretty loud but I enjoyed that noise. Sadly my Rubicon is currently waiting on a new engine at 300 miles.

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not. Whole process has turned into a real nightmare, especially that this happens to me with the current world situation. Last I heard they said they found some metal in the oil and it made the noise with no belt. I really feel like they just couldn't figure it out so they were told to replace the whole engine.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Thatā€™s a tough situation - and not easy to get done right now. Please keep us posted...hopefully they will cover your car payment and give you a decent loaner....
Sponsored