Porter Cable polisher

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I figured i would get a coat of wax on before the winter starts. I've been reading up on Porter Cable polishers.
Anyone use these? I don't think my arms could take buffing out wax.
Sponsored

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is this d/a (dual action)? If so, these machines are great at paint correcting. Before you lay dwn a coat or 2 of wax, prep the surface first by claying and then use a cleaner wax. Then top w/ your favorite wax.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I figured i would get a coat of wax on before the winter starts. I've been reading up on Porter Cable polishers.
Anyone use these? I don't think my arms could take buffing out wax.
@LLRubylady

You do not need a polisher to put on a coat of wax. Today's liquid wax, goes on so very easy and off so very easy.

Just go to Walmart or to Amazon.com and buy yourself an $8.00 bottle of Mequiar's Carnuba Wax.

To wax your Jeep will take less then an hour.

I promise you will not find it difficult to do or hard on your arms. Again very easy on and very easy off.

Yes, Porter Cable is an excellent buffer but you do not need it to apply a coat of wax.

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've always used "MOTHERS CARNUBA CALIFORNIA GOLD" (cleaner)for the first wax job---each year-

Then IBIZ liquid carnuba wax several times thru summer--

I wouldn't use an "ORBITAL POLISHER" I'm afraid that a DIY job will end up with "SWIRLS" on your hood/doors--just use your arm/hand and try to make longitudinal strokes and don't let the wax "BUILDUP" on the cotton rag !

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I've used a Porter Cable 7424XP for the better part of a decade and a half now. Just got done doing the new car prep on my JL. Make sure you buy a kit that has the proper pads needed for the products you are applying. Look at the kits at Autopia (one of the longest running car detail dealers online) and see which fits your needs best. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pcdepot.html

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Carnuba-based wax wont last very long during winter. You are better off getting a sealant like Wolfgang deep gloss sealant.

As for the polisher, the 7424 is a great tool, but you really don't need it for a coat of sealant, especially the one I mentioned. Goes on and off super easy. Get some good microfibers while you are at it too.

For paint prep, I'd definitely recommend a 7424.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Thank you for all the replies. I am very new to this. I have never waxed an auto ever.
I recently bought some goodies at autogeek:
303 for the hard top
Meguiar's Mirror glaze
Collinite 476S wax
and Meguiar's Tech wax 2.0
I've read good things about the collimate and the tech wax so I decided to get both and see which i like.
Wax first then the mirror glaze??

What is paint correcting? On a brand new jeep would i need that?

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Carnuba-based wax wont last very long during winter. You are better off getting a sealant like Wolfgang deep gloss sealant.

As for the polisher, the 7424 is a great tool, but you really don't need it for a coat of sealant, especially the one I mentioned. Goes on and off super easy. Get some good microfibers while you are at it too.

For paint prep, I'd definitely recommend a 7424.
This is what I do. Clay, apply Wolfgang sealant. Don't need a machine, easy to do by hand. If I want a super shine I put a coat of Wolfgang wax on top of the sealant after it sits at least 24 hrs.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I used to be a detailer. Ask me any questions you like.

Yes, a Porter Cable random orbital polisher is a great tool. You have to learn how to use it but it’s got a pretty easy learning curve and its much more forgiving than a circular polisher which will mar and burn your finish. If you don’t know what you’re doing.

But wax should usually be applied by hand. A polisher is for polishing. Prepping the surface by polishing makes s really big difference if your paint is dull or damaged but on a new vehicle might not be absolutely necessary.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Glaze is a product used to fill in small surface imperfections to enhance shine. It doesn’t correct or fix them and doesn’t last long. I don’t recommend it. The Collinite is a decent wax that doesn’t have the deepest gloss or shine but is long lasting.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just layered on 3 coats of Pinnacle Souveran paste (use it on my red bmw and my former Red Audi) and good lord it makes firecracker red look miles deep. Have to reapply it every couple of months but there’s nothing that gives me a deeper shine on a dark color car.

Glaze is a product used to fill in small surface imperfections to enhance shine. It doesn’t correct or fix them and doesn’t last long. I don’t recommend it. The Collinite is a decent wax that doesn’t have the deepest gloss or shine but is long lasting.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just layered on 3 coats of Pinnacle Souveran paste (use it on my red bmw and my former Red Audi) and good lord it makes firecracker red look miles deep. Have to reapply it every couple of months but there’s nothing that gives me a deeper shine on a dark color car.
In my opinion that is one of the best paste waxes around that doesn’t cost sell-your-kidneys money. Not cheap, but man is it deep and wet. It’s fantast on reds, black, and dark blues.

3 coats is a labor of love.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I’ve been using chemical guys and griots stuff for a while. I really like the chemical guys extend body wash and wax. For clay, they are all about the same. Polish I rarely need but when I do, I like chemical guys as well. They have a wide range of polish but I usually stick with the v line and choose the product based on how aggressive I need it to be. For wax, I really like the griots best of show. It lasts quite a while and I use griots spray on wax after every wash. Get the bulk of the water off when done, spray the vehicle all over, and then do a final dry. Takes an extra 30 seconds when drying the car already.

I’ve historically done a lot of my vehicles by hand. I’ve used a regular polisher for heavy jobs. With a bad shoulder, I don’t think I’ll be able to do much more of this by hand. I’ll go for a porter cable dual action. Check out chemical guys, they offer a kit to get you started in the right direct. Griots does as well. Both are great products.

I don’t really have any pics of it all cleaned up under good light, but this isn’t too bad.

*edit*. It’s actually really dusty. Lol. Been sitting out at a swim meet.

E594AFA6-3DBC-486C-9AB0-51E4481333AF.jpeg

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I switched from using clay bar to using a nanoskin autoscrub with my porter cable. It’s so much faster, less fussy, and no fears of it getting loaded with dirt. Even if it’s dropped, just wash it off. I’ll never go back to clay unless I need to spot treat a really really bad spot.

https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html
Sponsored