Portal Axels for 392

joetimmons

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL
These 74 weld portal axels while are pricy at 25k for the JL seem like (unless I am missing some other down side) one of the easiest way to keep everything stock on the 392 but still get 4" of lift - curious what yall think?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
These 74 weld portal axels while are pricy at 25k for the JL seem like (unless I am missing some other down side) one of the easiest way to keep everything stock on the 392 but still get 4" of lift - curious what yall think?
Do a search on Google for "portal axles JLWranglerforum".
There has been some talk on them already.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
All the lift, none of the flex.

I'd wager the install would be more difficult than just lifting.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Since I already grenaded my rear locker and twisted a rear chromoly axleshaft, I would be scared of any extra stress on the factory axles. One could argue the gear reduction may take some strain off the stock shafts and diff parts, but then they encourage adding 40”s. So you’re adding the weight of 40”s, likely beadlocks, portal weight, to axle housings that are barely sufficient for stock tires.

Not against portals. It would be badass to have my rig on tons and then have a set of portals to slap on for snow. I’d daily and all my regular wheeling on tons and 40”s. Then for snow, slap on the portals and something crazy like 44”s just for snow bashing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
All you'd need to add flex is shocks. All you'd need for axle housing strength would be trussing. 4" of lift while retaining more uptravel than most kits as you wouldn't need to add bumpstops to run 37's and maybe even 40's with gutted fenders. On a Rubicon you'd have an effective axle ratio of 5.00, low enough for 37's for sure. On an xr you'd be at 5.56 gearing. Taking 22% of the load off the shafts and ring and pinion is substantial. That's the same effective load as stock 33's on 40's, with the dif clearance of 48's. Too rich for my blood but would make for a bad ass setup.
Sponsored