Portable Ham Radio

JoeA7321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara
Planning out a trip to Alaska in the near future. Gonna be towing my Sahara behind a Class C. What HAM radio would you recommend traveling through Canada and the U.S.?
Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Planning out a trip to Alaska in the near future. Gonna be towing my Sahara behind a Class C. What HAM radio would you recommend traveling through Canada and the U.S.?
I guess that all depends on what your license level and privileges are in the USA. From what I've read, your USA license will be valid in Canada under reciprocal agreement. Then what do you want to do with it? Do you just want it for the traveling or to make long distance contacts or both?

OP
OP

JoeA7321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara
I'd like the ability to use it as necessary, so yes to all options.

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Do you have a license in the USA? If so, what class?
Joe, the reason I wanted to know what class license you have is to better advise you what radio would serve you best. If you don't have a license, I would advise you to not have one in your vehicle. I remember years ago when I had a CB radio and went into Canada, I was strongly advised by the Canadian officials not to transmit the radio, or it would be confiscated.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Baofeng UV-5r are pretty much the Swiss knife of radios, i haven’t used one for HAM but i know it can transmit it.

OP
OP

JoeA7321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara
Joe, the reason I wanted to know what class license you have is to better advise you what radio would serve you best. If you don't have a license, I would advise you to not have one in your vehicle. I remember years ago when I had a CB radio and went into Canada, I was strongly advised by the Canadian officials not to transmit the radio, or it would be confiscated.
I thought the licenses were reciprocal between U.S. and Canada. Again, this is for a one-time trip so it's not like I'd be doing anything on a frequent basis. : )

Canes_JL

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4xe / 2023 Rubicon XR
Clubs

The reason he’s asking what level you are is that will dictate what radio is suggested. Tech level is fairly limited to VHF/UHF with limited HF. General or Extra gives you different access to HF bands that could be used to make long distance contacts.

OP
OP

JoeA7321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara
The reason he’s asking what level you are is that will dictate what radio is suggested. Tech level is fairly limited to VHF/UHF with limited HF. General or Extra gives you different access to HF bands that could be used to make long distance contacts.
Getting a little beyond my level here. LOL What I'm looking for is a device suitable for long trips in case of emergency. This is not intended to speak w/ any particular person/group (I have a great walkie talkie pair for local conversations). I just want something to feel safe with on the road a long way from home.

Sponsored

Canes_JL

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4xe / 2023 Rubicon XR
Clubs

Gotcha, then I would look beyond ham radio. Look at the Garmin Inreach or something similar. Will give you the ability to send short text (depending on the plan) and the ability to send a SOS signal if your somewhere out of cell coverage and need assistance.

Ham radio is only good if you have someone that can hear your distress call. As a operator myself I still have looked at other means in the event we need help will out of cell coverage.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I thought the licenses were reciprocal between U.S. and Canada. Again, this is for a one-time trip so it's not like I'd be doing anything on a frequent basis. : )
Licenses are recognized due to a reciprocal agreement between the FCC (US) and the Canadian equivalent. That means you need to have a license in one of the jurisdictions. If you have a license, they will want to see it possibly at the border crossing and/or if they detect a signal being transmitted from your vehicle which I would think will cause confiscation of your equipment at the least.

If you don't have a license, get one. The Technician exam isn't that hard and that would give you VHF and UHF voice privileges.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I would go with a satellite phone or emergency radio of some kind. Ham radio works but it depends on people near by listening, which isn't always the case in remote areas.

A satellite based emergency radio/phone is a better bet.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I would go with a satellite phone or emergency radio of some kind. Ham radio works but it depends on people near by listening, which isn't always the case in remote areas.

A satellite based emergency radio/phone is a better bet.
Agreed. I have friends in CO that I go off roading with in the Rockies. I take my Icom 706MKII with a 109 inch CB whip along with a dual band VHF/UHF antenna so I have VHF, UHF and HF and even so, I still take a Garmin Inreach.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Fascinating. I've always wanted to become an operator "some day" Never have, and regret that.

'75 I had a cb in my brand new Ford 1/2 ton pick-up. XM44-6275. And there were many truckers running from the US with linears and antennas that glowed in the dark....and their cb's were never confiscated.

I've watched many of Chris Schontz's videos. Venture 4WD or something like that. Some talk about radio communications.
Sponsored