First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If I clicked this thread title expecting a very different type of video, does that make me weird?

Glad you and the Jeep survived. The elk, not so much.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Glad you are OK. I hope the elk had good insurance.

Zero_Accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Systems Engineer
We need the rest of that story, please. :beer:
Sure, why not.

So about a month after getting my new to me Gladiator, I decided to try those fancy full service car washes for the price of $35 buckaroos. You get a valet to drive you vehicle through the wash, they clean the whole interior, a quick wax with a polishing wheel, and you get to watch through a nice bay window while sipping coffee. Is it the best way to spend $35 bucks, well it saves my knuckles from aching after applying wax myself so it's not a bad deal in the end, at least if only once every few months.

It was during this wash when I saw something strange. Remember the valets? Well it's because this wash with the rolling style scrubbers didn't have a guidance rail for some reason, probably to save cost. The owners would have some teens ride the brakes through the wash and had done it that way for years.

Well I saw a woman in a Ford Fiesta who was CLEARLY not an employee driving through the wash, maybe they forgot to tell her that the valets needed to be the ones driving. Well this woman is trying her best to keep up with the wash just behind my Jeep, and she made one critical mistake. She was about 2 feet behind my truck, while the valets usually kept a nice healthy 5 feet in between vehicles.

So what happened next was when the roof scrubbing roller came off the top of my Jeep, which was already on a 2.5 inch lift with 35 inch tires, caused the sensor to MISS her little Fiesta entirely. Big hydraulic roller came down and CRUSHED her windshield and A pillars! I saw this through the bay window and couldn't believe what I was seeing. The aftermath.

Jeep Wrangler JL Popped my Elk cherry IMG_4025.JPG

Since this lady was living out what could have been a scene in a B grade final destination movie, I couldn't exactly blame her when she panicked and slammed her foot on the gas. She went right into the back of my Jeep, the truck barely moved, and the workers hit the emergency stop.

Thankfully she was fine, just some superficial cuts on her hands from the broken glass, a little drenched, and shaken from the whole experience. I'm pretty sure she got a fat paycheck after talking to her lawyers, but that isn't really any of my business.

My truck didn't really get that much damage, the hitch took the brunt of the hit, only cracked the shell on the whole bumper, but given that this was in the middle of the supply shortages in 2021, the shop had a hard time finding a plastic sport bumper, and I was able to convince them to let me pick one out of a local 4x4 shop they work with (I tried asking for cash as this wasn't my first choice of bumper, but they were already doing me a favor so I didn't fight them when they said they couldn't do that). Still, not a bad upgrade, and I can sell it if I want to upgrade to a stronger bumper down the road.

The new bumper can take a bit of abuse at least, from a nudge from a tiny Fiesta:

Jeep Wrangler JL Popped my Elk cherry IMG_4027.JPG

To dragging halfway across the desert, solid improvement:

Jeep Wrangler JL Popped my Elk cherry GBAO1300.JPG

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Zero_Accel
Thanks. You really did have a story to tell.

Sponsored

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
Glad it didn't go through the windshield. It would be nice if someone harvested that, as I'm pretty sure it's hind quarter is broken up. Here it is whitetails, my property and the roads are full of them.

it's the rutting season in Ohio, so they are on the move.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
I hate when that happens!! The elk are pretty big here in Northern New Mexico. They can do a lot of damage in a very short time. Glad everyone is ok and the Jeep still lives on. :like:

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Time to nickname that Jeep... The Rock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Popped my Elk cherry images-1

Glad you weren't hurt and impressed the Jeep fared as well as it did.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Roadkill on the way home once turned an unsuccessful hunt into a successful one with no damage to the PU towing the Jeep. 😉

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Happy you're okay! Hitting big animals can go wrong in a lot of ways!

Roctoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2016 Cherokee
I’ve seen more damage to the front and driver’s side of a full sized pickup truck and the elk walked away.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Hit my first elk last night. Considering how massive that fella was, I'm surprised at the damage. Jeep did a good and I was able to keep on trucking to home without losing any time.

Just looks like a raised eyebrow to me… better than an angry grill. Maybe polish it up, fix the light and leave it as is? :LOL:

Seriously, glad you’re okay.
Sponsored