Sponsored

Pop-up Camper top for JL

What is your current tent setup on your jeep?

• Total voters
OP
OP

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
Just thought I would share this video I found on YouTube of a serious overlanding Jeep with Ursaminor pop-up camper and few other items. The Jeep has AEV Bumpers, wheels and 2.5 lift with 35's I think, and the owner mentioned that his MPG is still between 14-16 even with all that weight.

Sponsored

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is very helpful. Follow-up questions if I may:
- How did it affect your MPG?
- Do you have a lift on your jeep?
- Is the area spacious enough for two adults?
- Do you have any load on top of the camper? rack or solar panels?

also do you mind sharing pics of your setup?
MPG was minimal but don't have a good baseline as I put it on within 3 months of getting the jeep. Wife averages 14-16 around town 17-18 hwy (primary driver). She sucks at saving gas, I can regularly get 16-18 city 17-19 hwy. I am heavy due to other stuff more than top (bumper, aux tanks, etc)

No lift (sit at 78.5"). 285/70r17 JKUR. Have airlift bags, but that was for fully loaded weight.

It is perfect for two adults. I have 2 kids in the mix and it gets a little tight (doable but not wife's favorite) I sleep down stairs and wife + kids upstairs. For reference I am 5'9" 180lbs, wife similar height 3/4 weight. I may add awning + room to have a little better place to hang out as 3 year old is very active.

Nothing on top.

I may have some pics but it will be a while before I can post them.

Last edited:

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
MPG was minimal but don't have a good baseline as I put it on within 3 months of getting the jeep. Wife averages 14-16 around town 17-18 hwy (primary driver). She sucks at saving gas, I can regularly get 16-18 city 17-19 hwy. I am heavy due to other stuff more than top (bumper, aux tanks, etc)

No lift (sit at 78.5"). 285/70r17 JLUR. Have airlift bags, but that was for fully loaded weight.

It is perfect for two adults. I have 2 kids in the mix and it gets a little tight (doable but not wife's favorite) I sleep down stairs and wife + kids upstairs. For reference I am 5'9" 180lbs, wife similar height 3/4 weight. I may add awning + room to have a little better place to hang out as 3 year old is very active.

Nothing on top.

I may have some pics but it will be a while before I can post them.
Confused. Earlier post you said you had a JKU with the UM top. But above says JLUR with 285/70/17 and sits at 78.5 with no lift. Ive got a JLUR no lift same tires and I sit at 73. You have the new UM top? and its only 5.5 Inches at highest point? I thought it was 10 inches higher than stock, not 5.5. That's a game changer for me.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Confused. Earlier post you said you had a JKU with the UM top. But above says JLUR with 285/70/17 and sits at 78.5 with no lift. Ive got a JLUR no lift same tires and I sit at 73. You have the new UM top? and its only 5.5 Inches at highest point? I thought it was 10 inches higher than stock, not 5.5. That's a game changer for me.
Spell correct must have changed it. It is a JKUR, 2012. Just remeasured it, highest point is between 78.5 and 79" (bumper keeps me from getting tape right on). I have the first generation JKU UM. He did change the JKU design but I don't believe it changed the height. Can't speak for JLU UM version.

Last edited:

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Spell correct must have changed it. It is a JKUR, 2012. Just remeasured it, highest point is between 78.5 and 79" (bumper keeps me from getting tape right on). I have the first generation JKU UM. He did change the JKU design but I don't believe it changed the height. Can't speak for JLU UM version.

I have only ever seen 6" higher when discussing the Ursa Minor.
ah thanks.

Sponsored

KirkG

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon!
Hello!
I figured I would throw my 2 cents in :)
Just ordered a 2019 JLUR and also ordered a J30 as well, earlier this summer my wife and I and our 2 kids ( a 9yrs and 12yrs old) went to Bozeman Mt and rented a Jeep with a J30 from https://hatchadventures.com. It was AWESOME!! It was so great we sold a 16' Airstream Sport to buy the JLUR and the J30, me and my son slept downstairs and my wife and daughter slept upstairs. The Jeep w/ the J30 is a super great set up!! if you want to try it I highly recommend Hatch Adventures Stephan is great and it really sold us on the J30!

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
I'll update my numbers, total height of jeep with top is the 78.5-79" at rear (highest point). 69" is ground to top of windshield. Windshield to top of camper is 9", so the 9-10" number for camper height is accurate, not sure where I got the 6" I mentioned but I removed it to avoid confusion.

OP
OP

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
Hello!
I figured I would throw my 2 cents in :)
Just ordered a 2019 JLUR and also ordered a J30 as well, earlier this summer my wife and I and our 2 kids ( a 9yrs and 12yrs old) went to Bozeman Mt and rented a Jeep with a J30 from https://hatchadventures.com. It was AWESOME!! It was so great we sold a 16' Airstream Sport to buy the JLUR and the J30, me and my son slept downstairs and my wife and daughter slept upstairs. The Jeep w/ the J30 is a super great set up!! if you want to try it I highly recommend Hatch Adventures Stephan is great and it really sold us on the J30!
Thanks a bunch. This is a great way to try it before you buy it. If I happen to pass by I will check them out. Please share pictures of your JL when you have it installed on it. That will make two of us soon :)

KirkG

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon!
Thanks a bunch. This is a great way to try it before you buy it. If I happen to pass by I will check them out. Please share pictures of your JL when you have it installed on it. That will make two of us soon :)
Wil do:fist bump: super excited for it!!

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I've been thinking about this as well. We actually have a 24ft Travel Trailer but since I sold my 2500HD Diesel Truck to purchase the JEEP I have no tow vehicle for it right now. Once I pay off my JL which isn't long I'll buy a beater Truck to tow it.

In the meantime I want to be able to get into anywhere and camp. So I've been thinking about the RTT route but having to buy an expensive Roof Rack, RTT Tent, etc I'm already close to the price of just buying and welding up my own little TRAILER with a TENT. So after its all said and done I will go the Trailer Route like Andy above did.

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Just get a good hammock, an underquilt, and a tarp. Adds about 2.5lbs of weight to the jeep, no wind noise from it being on the roof, no hard ground to hurt your back, and it doesn't kill you gas mileage like a trailer. Oh, and twinkle lights. Gotta get the twinkle lights. Ladies love them twinkle lights. :)

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing

Just get a good hammock, an underquilt, and a tarp. Adds about 2.5lbs of weight to the jeep, no wind noise from it being on the roof, no hard ground to hurt your back, and it doesn't kill you gas mileage like a trailer. Oh, and twinkle lights. Gotta get the twinkle lights. Ladies love them twinkle lights. :)
its like a nice giant man-burrito for a Bear, suspended at primo munching level.

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
its like a nice giant man-burrito for a Bear, suspended at primo munching level.

Hahaha... yeah, that is true, but that's why you hang a bear bag away from you so that they attack that instead... which is something you should be doing regardless of hammock or tent (on the ground, trailer or on the roof).

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Hahaha... yeah, that is true, but that's why you hang a bear bag away from you so that they attack that instead... which is something you should be doing regardless of hammock or tent (on the ground, trailer or on the roof).
Yes on Bear bag. Had a friend who didnt think that one thru and had a visitor in the night . Fortunately no one hurt.
Sponsored