Sponsored

Pop-up Camper top for JL

What is your current tent setup on your jeep?

• Total voters

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
I am considering buying a pop-up camper for the JL and wondering if anyone has experience with these?

I saw the one featured at SEMA this year from CliffRidge the escape 365 and I also found the one from Ursamino both seem like high-quality builds for the JL.

See attached pics of Cliff Ridge Escape 365 and Ursamino

Ursamino link to JL popup camper (Very pricey)

https://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/jeep-camper.html

Ursamino.png

Escape365.png
Sponsored

Jeeprscreeprs

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 jeep cherokee
Occupation
rv tech
I either set up a ground tent or cram myself into the back of my cherokee, but my ideal camping set up would be the pop-up roof

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I have done every option on the poll except one of these pop up campers. No experience, but I like the idea of it being enclosed with the JL and lower profile and easier to deploy than most RTT’s. I wouldn’t run it full time but would be a nice option. A trailer with tent is another favorite, but can be a pain too.

Last edited:

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Part of it is because you can but depending on where you travel, it’s a lot more secure for bears and other pesky mammals that might want to mess with you. I believe you climb up from the cargo area of the Jeep. It’s actually pretty slick and I doubt it adds more than 150-200 lbs max to the Jeep.

Tents are a pain because of wind, uneven ground, rain, among other things. People bring cots, air mattresses and pumps, and all kinds of things to manage those issues and this is all solved with the self-contained solution here. Convenience for a price I suppose!

The same argument could be made for camping trailers, RV’s, and many other camping setups that bring aspects of the comforts of home along for the ride.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
There you go, add all that weight to your rig for what? To sleep on the roof?

Bring a tent sleep in it like every other normal person does..

Pop tent? Why? To say you have "pop up" tent?

Would love to see you get in and out of that thing lol
Well if you were to take a bit of your namesake and actually think about Jeeping 101 (introduction to Jeeping; available at your local JC), you would understand that we all have our own unique style and the Jeep is a platform for us to convey that style and meet our needs.

Sponsored

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
I have the ursa minor top on a jku and had a rtt on a liberty prior to that. Have spent over 100 days camping in the ursa minor (J30) including a couple of week or longer trips since 2012. What I love about it:
- always ready to go
-fits in my garage
-super easy to setup (complete setup and take down ~5 minutes)
-does very well with moisture in that hard (top) portion collects the dew so tent material is nice and dry.
-can hang out in vehicle and climb into bed (usually run heater before bed and remote start it in morning).
-customer service. John (owner) is sometimes hard to get a hold of but he has always given me top notch service. Still fixes issues and sends me parts if things need to be upgraded.

Things I don't like:
-I don't ever take it off. It is not any different than a regular hard top for removal I just don't have any place to put it when off.
-there is a guy traveling around Africa that has one that is completely open inside rather than just over the rear seat. Would love to have that feature.
-people are constantly stopping me to ask about it.
-I feel bad for not camping more.

All in all we have been very happy with the J30. It does not affect anything as a daily driver and makes going camping a spur of the moment decision / enjoyable.

Cost wise it is expensive, but when I purchased it was very comparable to hard rtt + rack + hardtop.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I guess if you have the time and desire to camp often this might be a good solution. These are way too small for two people to sleep comfortably especially if you are shall we say "Big Boned".

Being married to a less than enthusiastic offroader, this would be a waste of money for me personally.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I'm going thru this decision making process right now. Two major speed bumps I have to get over: Do I really need a lift to handle the extra weight? I'm fine with a stock Rubicon. I know some folks run right out an put a lift on. I'll only add it if the extra weight requires it. I spoke to John at Ursaminor and he said he's using more carbon fiber on J30 for the JL than in the past, so the top will be less than the additional 120lbs that the JKU version weighed. If I do a lift, I dont want a big wheel gap so...upsize to 35s? The second major issue is max height. Ideally, I need the Jeep with UM top with (or without) a lift/bigger tires to max out at 85 inches. I can get by with 88 inches buy would have to change parking spots in my building. Soooo want to get the UM top.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 8.05.17 AM.png

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I use the trailer/w RTT and "HATCH BACK" ground ten that allows us to "JUMP" in the jeep when PREDATORS ARE NEAR--

Feb%202016%20034_zpsg0krdsxg.jpg

Feb%202016%20037_zpszy5xs1ku.jpg

Sawmillllakejune12020-1.jpg

That was all with the JKUR, now with the JLR, it'll be the same--

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
I use the trailer/w RTT and "HATCH BACK" ground ten that allows us to "JUMP" in the jeep when PREDATORS ARE NEAR--

Feb%202016%20034_zpsg0krdsxg.jpg

Feb%202016%20037_zpszy5xs1ku.jpg

Sawmillllakejune12020-1.jpg

That was all with the JKUR, now with the JLR, it'll be the same--

W.E.

JIMBO
very cool setup you got there. What brand/model is your trailer and how has it been so far with the added towing weight in terms of MPG and off-roading maneuverability?

Sponsored

OP
OP

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
I'm going thru this decision making process right now. Two major speed bumps I have to get over: Do I really need a lift to handle the extra weight? I'm fine with a stock Rubicon. I know some folks run right out an put a lift on. I'll only add it if the extra weight requires it. I spoke to John at Ursaminor and he said he's using more carbon fiber on J30 for the JL than in the past, so the top will be less than the additional 120lbs that the JKU version weighed. If I do a lift, I dont want a big wheel gap so...upsize to 35s? The second major issue is max height. Ideally, I need the Jeep with UM top with (or without) a lift/bigger tires to max out at 85 inches. I can get by with 88 inches buy would have to change parking spots in my building. Soooo want to get the UM top.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 8.05.17 AM.png
Thanks for looking into this. I am sure folks here will find your chart handy. Personally, I am planning on putting the factory Mopar bead wheels and lift with KO2 37s and my garage height will still be ok even with 10-15inch pop-up camper additional height.

OP
OP

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
I guess if you have the time and desire to camp often this might be a good solution. These are way too small for two people to sleep comfortably especially if you are shall we say "Big Boned".

Being married to a less than enthusiastic offroader, this would be a waste of money for me personally.
I hear you. Judging from the video on SEMA the escape 365 from Cliff Ridge seems to have sufficient room for two adults.

OP
OP

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
Well if you were to take a bit of your namesake and actually think about Jeeping 101 (introduction to Jeeping; available at your local JC), you would understand that we all have our own unique style and the Jeep is a platform for us to convey that style and meet our needs.
Couldn't have said it better.

OP
OP

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
I have the ursa minor top on a jku and had a rtt on a liberty prior to that. Have spent over 100 days camping in the ursa minor (J30) including a couple of week or longer trips since 2012. What I love about it:
- always ready to go
-fits in my garage
-super easy to setup (complete setup and take down ~5 minutes)
-does very well with moisture in that hard (top) portion collects the dew so tent material is nice and dry.
-can hang out in vehicle and climb into bed (usually run heater before bed and remote start it in morning).
-customer service. John (owner) is sometimes hard to get a hold of but he has always given me top notch service. Still fixes issues and sends me parts if things need to be upgraded.

Things I don't like:
-I don't ever take it off. It is not any different than a regular hard top for removal I just don't have any place to put it when off.
-there is a guy traveling around Africa that has one that is completely open inside rather than just over the rear seat. Would love to have that feature.
-people are constantly stopping me to ask about it.
-I feel bad for not camping more.

All in all we have been very happy with the J30. It does not affect anything as a daily driver and makes going camping a spur of the moment decision / enjoyable.

Cost wise it is expensive, but when I purchased it was very comparable to hard rtt + rack + hardtop.
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is very helpful. Follow-up questions if I may:
- How did it affect your MPG?
- Do you have a lift on your jeep?
- Is the area spacious enough for two adults?
- Do you have any load on top of the camper? rack or solar panels?

also do you mind sharing pics of your setup?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The Trailer is a TENTRAX "CARGO" 2007 model, but I've done all the mods to it--they come with a small 2 person tent, but not an RTT-

The trailer will go anywhere the jeep goes, it's a 600lb/W 16" CLEARANCE, trailer and with load is close to 1000lbs--

I have no idea about the mileage change!

Good luck

JIMBO
very cool setup you got there. What brand/model is your trailer and how has it been so far with the added towing weight in terms of MPG and off-roading maneuverability?
Sponsored