Sponsored

Poor SiriusXM Reception

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Anyone else have terrible SiriusXM reception on their JL?

When I am up in the mountains with my JLUR, SiriusXM is constantly cutting out. I know it depends on the satellite angle but I don't have the same problem with my DD or my wife's car. Works fine in the flat lands.

Is the JL antenna just terrible with SiriusXM? Or do I have a faulty antenna? Is there an after market antenna that fixes the reception?

FM reception is fine. It is just SiriusXM. Thanks,
Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Do you have anything on the roof? I think the GPS and Satellite Radio receiver is on top of the speaker bar. Lots of people mentioned reduced performance after adding a rack, cargo box, or tent. My GPS is slightly worse with a box on top; really only noticeable in poor weather, in a city.

There are a few relocation write-ups here somewhere. Looks pretty easy, but I never renewed the Satellite service, so not necessary for me at the moment.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I don't have the same problem with my DD or my wife's car
Do those vehicles have Sirius or XM? I know the two merged a long time ago, but they still use separate satellites. My wife’s GMC (XM) gets significantly worse reception than my Jeep (Sirius). I was told that XM works better down south and Sirius works better up north. Maybe it’s BS… dunno.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Mine has nothing added on top of the factory hard top and reception has been mostly good but does drop out intermittently in some areas. I mostly drive the same roads near where I live and the problem does not seem to occur in the same stretch of road consistently.

OP
OP

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Do you have anything on the roof? I think the GPS and Satellite Radio receiver is on top of the speaker bar. Lots of people mentioned reduced performance after adding a rack, cargo box, or tent. My GPS is slightly worse with a box on top; really only noticeable in poor weather, in a city.

There are a few relocation write-ups here somewhere. Looks pretty easy, but I never renewed the Satellite service, so not necessary for me at the moment.
I do have a Rhino Roof Rack. I'll take it off and see if that makes a difference when I go back to the mountains in 2 weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Do those vehicles have Sirius or XM? I know the two merged a long time ago, but they still use separate satellites. My wife’s GMC (XM) gets significantly worse reception than my Jeep (Sirius). I was told that XM works better down south and Sirius works better up north. Maybe it’s BS… dunno.
I have a 2017 BMW which is SiriusXM like the 2021 JLUR. My wife has a 2009 convertible which I believe was originally Sirius.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Tall trees is what usually gets me when I'm travelling in the mountains. If they're between you and the satellite, you can expect some signal drops. Roof rack could definitely be a contributing factor as well.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Maximus-3 offers a satellite antenna relocation kit:
https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-jl-satellite-antenna-relocation-bracket

For more info, you can refer to step (I) of the instructions attached to this post:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sirus-xm-antenna-location.12465/post-303631

Bonus trivia: Did you know that most of the XM satellites have nicknames?
  • XM-1 was nicknamed "Rock"
  • XM-2 was nicknamed "Roll"
  • XM-3 was called "Rhythm"
  • XM-4 was "Blues"
Clearly, an opportunity was missed to call XM-3 and XM-4 "Sex" and "Drugs".

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
I do have a Rhino Roof Rack. I'll take it off and see if that makes a difference when I go back to the mountains in 2 weeks.
Kej, did you ever do this? After 4 months of having my Rhino Rack and tent on the Jeep, my reception suddenly dropped off. Worked fine with the Maximus-3 relo bracket for 4 months, now terrible. Dealer is telling me it’s because I moved it. Because it’s now “covered”. Basically, what they’re telling me is BS. Sigh. The only “cover” is the fiberglass roof. Same one it was originally under…lol
Sponsored

Last edited: