Poor paint job on 2020 JLUR

DiggityDog

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLU Rubicon
I ordered a loaded JLUR and finally picked it up at the dealer in Memphis. I'm stoked. It was raining Friday when I signed the paperwork and I did a cursory inspection of the jeep after driving it. It all looked good...until this morning. The Jeep got dirty this weekend driving in the rain, so I washed it and wiped it down with spray wax. I noticed the hinges on the tail gate didn't get painted properly. Specifically, along the top of the hinge where it meets the tail gate, the bolt heads and behind hinge pins. The grey primer is showing through the black paint.

I am not looking forward to this headache; I can just imagine the dealer's mechanic grabbing a can of factory Mopar spray paint from the Parts Dept and "touching it up." Is it unreasonable to ask the dealer to have the entire tail gate repainted by a professional body shop? What would you do?

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg
Sponsored

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
That is horrible! I had the same thing happen to me on a Ram truck that I bought. The dealer repainted the tailgate twice and it never looked right. If the dealer does it, I would inspect it with a magnifying glass before accepting it.

OP
OP
DiggityDog

DiggityDog

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLU Rubicon
That is horrible! I had the same thing happen to me on a Ram truck that I bought. The dealer repainted the tailgate twice and it never looked right. If the dealer does it, I would inspect it with a magnifying glass before accepting it.
Did the dealer do it themselves, or did they send it out?

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I’d have the dealer or FCA give you a mopar reinforcement tail gate carrier to cover it up and call it a day.

OP
OP
DiggityDog

DiggityDog

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLU Rubicon
I’d have the dealer or FCA give you a mopar reinforcement tail gate carrier to cover it up and call it a day.
Thats not a bad idea, it would cover up the primer on top of the hinges. However, it doesn't solve the lack of paint under the hinge pins on the body.

Sponsored

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
Most dealerships have their own body shops to deal with warranty work. You don't have to take back to your selling dealer for warranty work.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Primer absorbs moisture which creates rust . I would have it painted

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Thats not a bad idea, it would cover up the primer on top of the hinges. However, it doesn't solve the lack of paint under the hinge pins on the body.
Crap, didn’t even see the hinges on the body. Only saw the brackets on the tailgate at first...but there’s aftermarket solutions that replace the whole hinge itself also. But as far as what someone else said about rusting, that’s true didn’t really think of that. Not sure if it’s really a huge deal or not based on its location and what the tailgate is made out of..not sure

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Fortunately, rust should not be a concern at all. The factory dips the entire body through an e-coat process. This is the primary rust prevention layer. Then the body gets a primer coat on top of the e-coat. Next is base/color coat which you are missing in those areas and and only purpose is color (though really appreciated if it is there like it's supposed to be:facepalm:). Lastly is clear coat which is the top protective layer and probably present as it is a separate spray station.

If it was me, I would get it painted and minimally limit the blending solely to the back of the Jeep... nothing wrapping around the sides. AND I would ask for the reinforcement kit for the hassle.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Oh wow, it looks like somebody adjusted the hinges and hoped nobody would notice. Yikes!

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You wrote you washed and wax it, before you noticed. Is there any chance that is wax residue?

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Fortunately, rust should not be a concern at all. The factory dips the entire body through an e-coat process. This is the primary rust prevention layer. Then the body gets a primer coat on top of the e-coat. Next is base/color coat which you are missing in those areas and and only purpose is color (though really appreciated if it is there like it's supposed to be:facepalm:). Lastly is clear coat which is the top protective layer and probably present as it is a separate spray station.

If it was me, I would get it painted and minimally limit the blending solely to the back of the Jeep... nothing wrapping around the sides. AND I would ask for the reinforcement kit for the hassle.
Isn't the tailgate aluminum? If so then rust shouldn't be an issue at all.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a loaded JLUR and finally picked it up at the dealer in Memphis. I'm stoked. It was raining Friday when I signed the paperwork and I did a cursory inspection of the jeep after driving it. It all looked good...until this morning. The Jeep got dirty this weekend driving in the rain, so I washed it and wiped it down with spray wax. I noticed the hinges on the tail gate didn't get painted properly. Specifically, along the top of the hinge where it meets the tail gate, the bolt heads and behind hinge pins. The grey primer is showing through the black paint.

I am not looking forward to this headache; I can just imagine the dealer's mechanic grabbing a can of factory Mopar spray paint from the Parts Dept and "touching it up." Is it unreasonable to ask the dealer to have the entire tail gate repainted by a professional body shop? What would you do?

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg
I don’t think there’s anything unreasonable to nicely tell the dealer that you are disappointed with tailgate paint job, and given that you just paid $50,000 for this rig you expect them to have it professionally taken care of.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg
Any pictures of what it looked like before?

Certain they removed the tailgate to paint something...was it the hinges that needed touch-up??

Looks like they didnt realign the hinges on the tailgate properly.

At the factory they paint it assembled with the hinges on(same for doors, windshield, tailgate, etc..) which is why there is no color behind the hinge.

I recently installed atlas door hinge steps and when you remove the hinges its unpainted behind it and you have to realign the hinges just right when reinstalling or you will see that unpainted outline like you have in your photo.

If your good with your hands try loosening the hinges and realign the hinges on the tailgate. Or have the dealer do it, it can be tricky. Touch up the bolt areas thereafter with touch up paint.

Good luck.
Sponsored

Last edited: