Sponsored

Poor AM Radio Reception

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Just picked up a new 2021, 2-Door Rubicon with the 7 Inch display screen. The AM radio reception and sound quality is terrible! The FM and Sirius reception and sound quality are excellent, but the AM Is very poor sound quality.

My antenna seems to be fine. I disconnected the antenna, then re-connected it. No reception at all without the antenna on both AM & FM. My antenna connections are fine.

I went back to the dealer and tried another new Wrangler on the dealer lot and it seems to be the same very poor AM reception/sound quality, so I guess it's not just my Wrangler. This is the worst AM radio reception/sound quality of any vehicle I have ever owned (and I have owned a LOT).

Does anybody know of some sort of an AM radio antenna booster, or maybe a better quality antenna than the original factory antenna?

Again, the FM is great, the Sirius is great, this is just an AM radio issue.
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I for one have no idea but, I guess my question is.....

Q: People in 2020 listen to AM stations?

colind

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sarge
I've noticed the AM radio sounds poor in all the newer cars I have driven in. In my 2001 F-150 the quality of the FM and AM sounds the same. I have not tried it on the new Jeep yet since we still have Sirius but I imagine it will be poor as well.

OP
OP
Mabar

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I for one have no idea but, I guess my question is.....

Q: People in 2020 listen to AM stations?
Yes, LOTS of interesting talk-radio out there.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn’t aware AM was still used/broadcasted. May not help, but my XM radios stations that I pay for to listen to music with, all talk every morning all morning. Barely any music in the morning. :mad:

So if you want more talk radio, subscript to XM music and they will do nothing but talk all morning.

Dabrakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Just picked up a new 2021, 2-Door Rubicon with the 7 Inch display screen. The AM radio reception and sound quality is terrible! The FM and Sirius reception and sound quality are excellent, but the AM Is very poor sound quality.

My antenna seems to be fine. I disconnected the antenna, then re-connected it. No reception at all without the antenna on both AM & FM. My antenna connections are fine.

I went back to the dealer and tried another new Wrangler on the dealer lot and it seems to be the same very poor AM reception/sound quality, so I guess it's not just my Wrangler. This is the worst AM radio reception/sound quality of any vehicle I have ever owned (and I have owned a LOT).

Does anybody know of some sort of an AM radio antenna booster, or maybe a better quality antenna than the original factory antenna?

Again, the FM is great, the Sirius is great, this is just an AM radio issue.
Was hoping there was some real fix found for this since I immediately noticed the exact same thing on my new 2022 4xe. Was wondering if it was an interference issue being a hybrid since it is my first such car but yours isn't so must be something else.

OP
OP
Mabar

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was hoping there was some real fix found for this since I immediately noticed the exact same thing on my new 2022 4xe. Was wondering if it was an interference issue being a hybrid since it is my first such car but yours isn't so must be something else.
I wish there was a "fix" also.

I listen to talk radio on AM regularly, and my 2021 Wrangler with the 7" screen has the absolute worst AM radio of any vehicle I have ever owned.

Even my 2006 Rubicon has much better AM radio sound and reception. You would think that after 15 years, reception would improve, not deteriorate.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Mine seems to work fine. But now you got me to pay closer attention. I listen to talk radio on am and fm. I have the 8.4 in my jlr. I’ll check it out.
Sponsored