Poll: what are you most concerned about?

What are you most concerned about?

• Catching the COVID-19 virus.

• The short and long-term impact of our government's actions.

Results are only viewable after voting.

madscientist

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL WIllys 3.6L AT, 2014 Range Rover Sport, 2016 Ford F150, 2013 Audi Q5
Occupation
Geneticist & Microbiologist
After some self examination and discussions with friends and families, I began wondering what is really the most concerning topic to the public. Most of the people I've spoken to are much less concerned about catching the virus than about the unintended consequences of our politician's actions. I thought this forum is a pretty diverse group and am interested in your opinions.

Advertisement

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Granite
Biggest concern for a lot of people will be how the hell they're going to pay for that palette of toilet paper, 20 packs of chicken and four cases of 20 pack hand sanitizer they loaded up on three times a week when that credit card bill comes in and they can't return any of that stuff.

OP
madscientist

madscientist

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL WIllys 3.6L AT, 2014 Range Rover Sport, 2016 Ford F150, 2013 Audi Q5
Occupation
Geneticist & Microbiologist
Biggest concern for a lot of people will be how the hell they're going to pay for that palette of toilet paper, 20 packs of chicken and four cases of 20 pack hand sanitizer they loaded up on three times a week when that credit card bill comes in and they can't return any of that stuff.
Yup. That's what got me thinking about this... I'm guessing that the initial hoarding was due to fear of the virus and the unknown risk it posed. But I'm betting that subsequent and future hoarding is due to the restrictions placed by the gov.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Granite
Yup. That's what got me thinking about this... I'm guessing that the initial hoarding was due to fear of the virus and the unknown risk it posed. But I'm betting that subsequent and future hoarding is due to the restrictions placed by the gov.
I agree which is also still idiotic because at its worst you can still go out and grocery shop and restaurants can still perform carry out and deliveries so there are no disruptions that would cause any apparent reasonable need to horde. Not only that but people in massive congregation to stock up are doing the thing the health officials are telling you not to do, massively congregate. A simple staggering as you would see in usual fashion on a normal day at the grocery keeps items on the shelf, people from risk of being close to each other, and no shortages for operational areas that need supplies. The only time this is rational would be a physical destruction to infrastructure and access like a hurricane.

But that's an aside...I'd like to see the numbers on how much debt was accumulated per household on average based on this and if there is an increase in credit defaults, bankruptcy or distressed payment claims on the consumer level.

Like...that stuff people are buying in bulk isn't cheap and with some big brand stores saying you can't return it on top of state laws passing emergency bills fining people who try...you're digging yourself in huge debt holes in an uncertain economy where unemployment could reach Great Depression levels. Hopefully people use that $1,000+ payout the government is going to issue....which we all have to pay income tax on.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
As in all things, there are people that understand that there is a threat with this virus. There are those that have taken it to far and there are those that have no clue that anything is happening. Like all the fools still going out shopping for clothes and specials at tool stores.

I was out and about today getting some needed medicine for my mom.

I saw all types.
1. People getting just the general necessities at the store.
2. People buying things as if they were preparing to have a party with their neighborhood block.
3. And people setting in drive through lines at fast food restaurants, walking out of clothing stores with bags, bags and more bags, people standing around in groups at the park.

I also find it amazing to see all the people that complain none stop about anything they can find to Xitch about!!!!

SERIOUSLY. If government and local leaders did nothing folks would XITCH!!!! If they do something folks XITCH!!!!!

I have an idea. How about instead of complaining about every thing under the son, we watch out for our fellow man and woman and help one another!!!!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
In another week the clueless will realize the error of their ways, and go running to the ER and spread it further.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Google “Mountain Dew couple” and look what the cat brought in... smh

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
I'm not too old, healthy, eat very well and not overweight. Not really concerned about getting it at all.
It's also about unintentionally spreading it to someone who is not as healthy or robust. It's possible to infect someone and not even know it. Someone could have no symptoms or very mild symptoms and accidentally be a carrier who could spread it to someone vulnerable like a older friend or relative with a compromised immune system.

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, 2009 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
It's also about unintentionally spreading it to someone who is not as healthy or robust. It's possible to infect someone and not even know it. Someone could have no symptoms or very mild symptoms and accidentally be a carrier who could spread it to someone vulnerable like a older friend or relative with a compromised immune system.
I believe this is called natural selection. It is hard to fight nature.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
I believe this is called natural selection. It is hard to fight nature.
People do it every day when they get medical procedures done that saves their life. Or when they take a pill for a ailment like high blood pressure or diabetes.

Hell, I know a woman who fights nature every time she gets a Botox shot and her boobs lifted. lol.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S, 03 Toyota 4Runner, Infiniti G37, Toyota T100 (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
My fav hockey team the Colorado Avalanche were 1 pt out of first place, and half their team is coming back from injury so they would have been well rested for the playoff run, guess they'll be even better rested now :)

Seriously though, just hope the bitter pill we're all having to swallow won't last too long and following the current guidelines set by the CDC will keep fatalities to a minimum, but only if everyone plays by the same rules.

Wishing all the forum members and their family & friends stay healthy through all of this, as well as their economic survival, which may be tough for many to overcome (at least for the short term).

BrntWS6

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Really?...lol.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Reaction score
Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Side note I heard today Costco posted a HUGE sign it will not take returns and give refunds for toilet paper. Brilliant, stop the hoarding and mass hysteria people.

Now on the the question. I am most concerned about the tail of this things. We know there will be a vaccine just a matter of when. When certainty comes back and folks start living their life again I am most concerned about the new reality, not as the question was posted “what our politicians have done”. I give them all full credit, any of you want to switch jobs and deal with something NO ONE has ever seen. Really easy to arm chair QB from the comfort of your safe, non infectious home.

I think some business will rebound with flying colors;hotels, airlines, cruise lines, restaurants (the ones that can weather the storm) and many others. I would not want to be a commercial building owner. My prediction is there is going to be some seriously vacant buildings. Companies are going to realize that they do not need this hugely and grossly over priced commercial space to do business. Folks will do a great job and show that many jobs can be done from a home office. Other than labor, lease expense is usually the second largest and FIXED not variable.

Stay safe and stay positive. The media is doing a fine job being the fear mongers.