• Total voters

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
So we know there are countless threads of steering issues that have plagued the JL. In direct effect it has also “steered” potential buyers from this vehicle. I know this is a mass produced vehicle and the small amount of those affected JL’s should not be a determining factor in purchasing one.

Post your model year and state if you have no steering issues from factory. And those who have had steering issues (wandering, deathwobble, dead spot, etc) also post what has solved it. I personally drove 3 rubicons and 1 did have steering issues (properly inflated tires and aligned).

Comment below to help those interested in buying some of those left-over JL’s or possibly order a 2020.
Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
You might want to add an option for SelecTrac. It is supposed to alleviate much of the steering issues.

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
You might want to add an option for SelecTrac. It is supposed to alleviate much of the steering issues.
Interesting, so the Sahara’s with selectrac don’t experience any steering issues? Or at least less common than rubicons?

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
I had an alignment shop (one I trust) go through the entire front end and torque/tighten everything and align. No more wandering.

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLUR, all I noticed is a slight drift to the right when I take my hands off the wheel, just noticed it at 7000 miles.. but other than that I think it’s been more paranoia from all the negative post on steering...but honestly it’s been pretty good.. KNOCK ON WOOD :fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
2018 JLUR with 22,000 miles and no steering issues. Everything stock so far...wanted to run through a set of tires first to let the market catch up with the new model (and pay off the vehicle) before I went with suspension/wheels/tires/bumbers/etc.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Interesting, so the Sahara’s with selectrac don’t experience any steering issues? Or at least less common than rubicons?
Sahara’s with selectrak come with front CV joints instead of U joints which steer a bit smoother. Also the smaller tires probably mask the problem somewhat, as does the increased caster from the lower ride height of non-Rubicon models.

But the steering box and all the other issues apply to all models just may not show up as badly.

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Seeing the results thus far should give people great confidence. I did figure the rubicons were more prone to the steering issues described, but now I know the science behind the selectrac...pretty interesting.

Also noticed people complaining of steering issues after changing tires and suspension parts. That’s why I started the poll stating factory spec. I should’ve put the option for rubicon, Sahara and sport

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Stock JLU with 1600 miles and no issues

Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
2500 miles and no issues.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
2500 miles and no issues.
2018 Rubicon four-door, 2 inch Mopar lift. No issues! Drives and rides much better than my CJ five, TJ, and two JK’s that I’ve owned in the last 35 Years

Bob K

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Ocean Blue - ; 2002 Ford f350
I have selec- trac and had the death wobble before I hit 200 miles. The dealer changed the steering stabilizer and I haven't had any problems since. I have a little over 2000 miles now.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
2dr stock Rubicon. Tire pressure at 35. 15,000 miles and have had it for a year.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
2019 Rubicon 2 Door

Ran it stock for 3k miles with no issues. Installed the Dynatrac 2" lift with 37" Cooper STT Pros. It's been almost 2.5k miles on that setup also with zero issues.
Sponsored