Sponsored

Poll: Sunshades, what one is best and why?

Which sunshade is best and why?

• Total voters

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I've grown tired of waiting on Alien to update their product so you can have a two piece JLU top. So I'm looking at other options. I would like something that allows me to take on and off the hard top and the freedom tops without having to remove or adjust the sun screen.
Sponsored

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Alien front sunshade yesterday. It works great so far. The install was a breeze since I didn't have to remove the windshield. The freedom tops are easy to access as well. I am waiting on the rear sunshade to release. That's not a problem because it is just too hot in central texas right now to go totally naked.

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
I went with the JTops for a few reasons:
  • I have 4 door and wanted full coverage (doing separate front and back leaves gaps around each so less protection from sun, etc)
  • The JTops uses clips rather than bungees. Just like your stock jeep grab handles use. So not as much wear on your rollbar covers with small pressure points from bungees, the straps will never lose their tension like bungees, the balls will never pop off rendering a bungee unusable, etc.
  • The JTops has some cross member support to keep things from flapping
  • The JTops covers entirely from front to back with no gaps. The sides are woven and reinforced so they fit very smooth all the way down the sides (less flapping, no gaps, clean look)
  • Will fit under my hard top without having to undo anything (summer time can be left on whether I'm using my hardtop or not)
The only cons I see:
  • They are a bit pricey (but you're paying for quality)

There are a ton of options online for bungee type. I like that the JTops used straps with clips and the quality is great and the fit and finish are impressive.

Bonus, I got a new one on Craigslist because the guy ordered a 2-door version and they sent him a 4-door by accident. They didn't want it back so he sold it. Craiglist FTW!!!

jl_colllllllorado

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdesertwheelers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 37s
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think it’s been mentioned, I went with Dirty dog, nice price, easy install, can stay on with the hardtop, no cons that I can think of. I just wanted the front half.

117C6006-51C4-4C14-8297-ECBAA5CB630B.png
8ABA01F6-9C1B-40D7-95D9-3C764B2921E8.png

CTTommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
The JTops shade is very nice and durable but it’s over engineered. It’s just more than is necessary. The simple clean lines and the ease of install of the SpiderWeb shade was so much different. It was a lot harder for me to put on the JTop and it has large buckle straps that go all the way around the roll bar frame that I thought were too bulky. I like the way the smaller bungee cords are installed on the Spider. And probably most important, I don’t have to fold anything back to install my hard or soft top on the Spider. The JTop requires you to fold back the front portion each time to install the hard or soft top. Everyone that saw both on my Jeep agreed the SpiderWeb shade was better and none of them even realized it was $100 cheaper too.
My sentiments exactly. Compared them side by side and preferred the Spiderweb over Jtop. It seems the biggest complaint with the Spiderweb is dropping the windshield. It basically only needs to be tilted forward a bit to install the clips( takes no time at all).

Sponsored

JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
I ordered this one from Rugged Ridge for my JLUR with the Freedom top. I just received it today, so I don’t have any thoughts on fit and finish yet, but it was fairly inexpensive and seems sturdy and well made. It also allows for the freedom top panels to latch over it.

I just wanted something to hold me over until I can get my hands on a full soft top. Since we have little kids, I don’t plan on having the back seats exposed for at least a few years, so this option is hopefully perfect for now.

56235_F92_28_C8_4965_B049_F75_B4_AAC0977.jpg

http://www.ruggedridge.com/eclipse-sun-shade-black-hard-top-18-18-wrangler-jl-13579-73.html
Hey Rocky,

How has this worked out for you? I purchased the one for the softtop, but have yet to receive it. My concern was the straps over the frame. Have you had any issues with paint being scratched due to the straps?

Thanks,
JLOrange

Smokie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Mojito!
Occupation
Retired, part-time bartender
238CEBFA-6285-4237-81DD-7A5327D07A05.jpeg
I went with the 2 piece Alien Sunshade, and am very pleased with it.

I was able to install the front clips without dropping the windshield, but it took a few minutes to understand how the clips attached. I did the inner clips on either side of the rear view mirror first, as I was able to feel the lip it attaches to with my fingertips and actually feel the clip as it seated on the lip. I then went to the outer 2 front clips and they clicked in on the first try.

One of the reasons I chose Alien is because I wanted 2 pieces versus the 1 piece design. It is much more custom looking and custom fitting. I also like the ability to remove the front section while retaining the rear allowing sun protection for my golden retriever lying on the rear seats.

Very pleased.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Anyone on this thread know if you can bolt a sun rider on with Jtops Installed? I’m ok folding it back. I don’t need shade with sunrider. Only entire top is off.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I got the Spiderweb shade. Have one on our 2013, 2015, and now our JL. We run nothing but soft tops and have the top back allot. The original spiderweb shades look and function just like new. The new spiderweb shade has done away with the bungee balls and have gone to a really great bungee strap and hook design. The shade is super tight with no wrinkles, no gaps and even at freeway speeds 70 or so no flapping. It's almost a tradition and in South Texas has been one of our first purchases on all our Jeeps.
And they have the option of sewn edged cutouts for running the hard top with freedom panels. It works both ways without removal.
IMG_20180606_194904854_HDR.jpg
Do you have to fold windshield back to fold the front back to have it fully open under the freedom tops or sunrider?

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Best? Not sure . I will say I'm 100% satisfied with and I would buy it again if I had to (and will for my future 2dr) . It's probably my favorite thing I've bought . It was simple to install even with my hardtop still on . It stays tight with zero sagging and basically just works as described.

20190430_130455.jpg

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
How noisy are these tried a generic one off Amazon which was very noisy they also neglected to make cutouts for the rear center FT latches. Going to return it.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
I bought the Alien Shade and it was easy to put on, the fact you don’t have to drop the front window was huge for me. The front took the longest to put on, 5 minutes. I am 6’2 and worried about what some spoke about clearance, no problem at all and the freedom tops go right over it with no problem, no flapping in the wind and by the looks of it there will be zero paint damage. They also ship very quickly, great company. They also have GREAT customer service which is great in todays society.
Sponsored