Sponsored

Poll: Sunshades, what one is best and why?

Which sunshade is best and why?

• Total voters

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
The JTops shade is very nice and durable but itā€™s over engineered. Itā€™s just more than is necessary. The simple clean lines and the ease of install of the SpiderWeb shade was so much different. It was a lot harder for me to put on the JTop and it has large buckle straps that go all the way around the roll bar frame that I thought were too bulky. I like the way the smaller bungee cords are installed on the Spider. And probably most important, I donā€™t have to fold anything back to install my hard or soft top on the Spider. The JTop requires you to fold back the front portion each time to install the hard or soft top. Everyone that saw both on my Jeep agreed the SpiderWeb shade was better and none of them even realized it was $100 cheaper too.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The JTops is definitely the best shade with the top off and/or freedom panels off. The titanium JTops provides 90% UV reduction, I believe that is the best protection out of any of the shades, including other JTops colors. My bald head and three fair skinned family members definitely appreciate the engineering that went into it. I hate the fact that it droops when you put the freedom panels on and have to fold it back. There has to be a better way, although I haven't figured it out yet.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
watch their video. It shows you how to tuck away the straps so you don't need the zip ties in case you don't want them.

I just watched this video again (I watched it before I ever received my JTops) and theirs didnt droop when they folded it back. Maybe I need to take my top off and try to reinstall it. I did it all on my own in the searing heat and maybe I didnt align and tighten it correctly. Ill update my review once I do this Sat or Sun.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I had been all set to go with JTops, but they never returned the call they promised they would so I started looking at Alienshade and SpiderwebShade. I looked at the Alienshade it looks like they didnā€™t bother to evolve their product like other companies have and that didnā€™t appeal to me. I dealt with those bungee ball things with the SpiderwebShade on my JK and while it was fine then, I was looking for something better with a cleaner look. Since JTops was ruled out, that left me with SpiderwebShade which I ultimately went with again. The quality is great and and the install went smoothly.

tas2018rubi

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I bought the Alienshade for my 2 door because of cost and the fact it said it could be installed without dropping the windshield. I have yet to get two of the clips on that hold the bungees on the front. I have tried several times. Other folks have had no problem. Bottom line is I will need to drop the windshield to install it. If I knew that going in I would have gotten the spiderweb shade since it covers more and the install looks a lot cleaner on the sides. I have spiderweb shade on JK and like it. Considering the spiderweb shade at this point...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I bought the Alienshade for my 2 door because of cost and the fact it said it could be installed without dropping the windshield. I have yet to get two of the clips on that hold the bungees on the front. I have tried several times. Other folks have had no problem. Bottom line is I will need to drop the windshield to install it. If I knew that going in I would have gotten the spiderweb shade since it covers more and the install looks a lot cleaner on the sides. I have spiderweb shade on JK and like it. Considering the spiderweb shade at this point...
@tas2018rubi

I'm not real thrilled with Alien Sunshades because they need to send out better instructions!

$ for $, the Alien Sunshade has lots of bang for the buck. A decent very product offering for sure.

You cannot find Alien sunshade at fault for your not being able to complete the fairly simple install.

You can't blame them for your poor vision, your fat fingers or your lack of patience, etc.. I'm 69 yo, big hands, iffy close vision, limited patience but did complete the install.

YES, one clip did cause me a major headache to get in place but I eventually got it. I like you, did not want to put the windshield down to do the install.

With that said, the install of the Alien Sunshade can in fact be done with the windshield up. Yes, doing with the windshield up, will be easier for some and harder for others but it is very doable. As in any install, an install can be easier for some and harder for others..

For guys and gals that want a very decent sunshade, that does the job, costs less then the rest, the Alien Sunshade is a terrific way to go. Don't be put off by what you read about the install here.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Did the Alien shade makers update the rear of the full shade incorporating some soft material so that the painted bar won't scratch? I thought I read that somewhere..?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I got the Spiderweb shade. Have one on our 2013, 2015, and now our JL. We run nothing but soft tops and have the top back allot. The original spiderweb shades look and function just like new. The new spiderweb shade has done away with the bungee balls and have gone to a really great bungee strap and hook design. The shade is super tight with no wrinkles, no gaps and even at freeway speeds 70 or so no flapping. It's almost a tradition and in South Texas has been one of our first purchases on all our Jeeps.
And they have the option of sewn edged cutouts for running the hard top with freedom panels. It works both ways without removal.
IMG_20180606_194904854_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Another shot of the inside and how the Spiderweb attaches.

IMG_20180606_195053352.jpg

SouthTexasJLU

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
MOJO Jeep Shades. Ronald is local, and goes through great pains to ensure every component is sourced and made in the USA. Makes a great product.

yellolab

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 718 Boxster, Hydro Blue 2 door
Occupation
sales
As I am ignorant in these, why would someone with a softtop(capable of safari mode) buy a sunshade? please educate me...thanks!

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
I ordered this one from Rugged Ridge for my JLUR with the Freedom top. I just received it today, so I donā€™t have any thoughts on fit and finish yet, but it was fairly inexpensive and seems sturdy and well made. It also allows for the freedom top panels to latch over it.

I just wanted something to hold me over until I can get my hands on a full soft top. Since we have little kids, I donā€™t plan on having the back seats exposed for at least a few years, so this option is hopefully perfect for now.

56235_F92_28_C8_4965_B049_F75_B4_AAC0977.jpg

http://www.ruggedridge.com/eclipse-sun-shade-black-hard-top-18-18-wrangler-jl-13579-73.html
Sponsored