Sponsored

Poll: Sunshades, what one is best and why?

Which sunshade is best and why?

• Total voters

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
The JTops is definitely the best shade with the top off and/or freedom panels off. The titanium JTops provides 90% UV reduction, I believe that is the best protection out of any of the shades, including other JTops colors. My bald head and three fair skinned family members definitely appreciate the engineering that went into it. I hate the fact that it droops when you put the freedom panels on and have to fold it back. There has to be a better way, although I haven't figured it out yet.
Can you leave the Jtop in place and install you Freedom panels? In other words can you leave the Jtop attached at the windshield and still install the Freedom panels? Thanks.
Sponsored

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I posted this a good bit back. No, you have to fold the front of the JTops back in order to secure the front of the freedom panels. It causes the JTops to droop a bit over your head. I wish I had one of the bungee ones that just stay in place. No doubt that the Titanium JTops is awesome with top off, best sun protection out there, but just not a clean install with freedom panels in.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
Can anyone with a soft top get a picture of how any of these (maybe just Alienshade) operate when closing the top? Does it cover the handles or obstruct them in anyway?

All the pictures I see are from the top only or inside with the visors up.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone with a soft top get a picture of how any of these (maybe just Alienshade) operate when closing the top? Does it cover the handles or obstruct them in anyway?

All the pictures I see are from the top only or inside with the visors up.

Picture from JTopsUSA in below link. #3 is the magnetic strip you flip back, re-attach softtop, and #5 is how you flip the flap back under the softtop. No "sagging" this way. If you leave the magnetic strip flipped back there is some sagging but you can put it under the softtop in 3-5 seconds from drivers seat only.

I can put the soft top in sun rider and place the magnet in under 30 seconds and visa versa.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ACZIxB05v51JqYs&id=3DD3FF2F5FC90891!3321&cid=3DD3FF2F5FC90891

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome. For weeks I have been trying to figure out how the hell it works and could never find a photo other than a side/top shot

Sponsored

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. For weeks I have been trying to figure out how the hell it works and could never find a photo other than a side/top shot
I did too and finally I emailed them and that's what they sent me. Also asked for a code and they gave me SPRING10 and JL15. First one is 10% off and JL15 is $15 off if I remember.

best of luck with your choice.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Just came here after installing my JTop to tell people how much I like it. Installation wasn't as easy as the one installation video I found, due to the soft top hardware. But, it wasn't super difficult either. Just had to improvise on the straps a bit. There are 3 things I love about the JTop sun shade. One, the additional padding added to the strap to keep the buckle from rubbing on the paint. Two, the Tri-Glide buckle that allows you to secure the extra strap-slack, meaning no slack is left hanging free to whip in the wind. And C, there is no vibration or sound coming from the shade, even on the highway. That's awesome.

But I have one huge question I thought of while driving home: how would I put latch the soft top closed when the shade is between the sky and the latch-recipient-mechanism (technical term for those gearheads)? Maybe just peel back the magnets and latch the soft top, but then what do I do with the very front end of the shade?

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just came here after installing my JTop to tell people how much I like it. Installation wasn't as easy as the one installation video I found, due to the soft top hardware. But, it wasn't super difficult either. Just had to improvise on the straps a bit. There are 3 things I love about the JTop sun shade. One, the additional padding added to the strap to keep the buckle from rubbing on the paint. Two, the Tri-Glide buckle that allows you to secure the extra strap-slack, meaning no slack is left hanging free to whip in the wind. And C, there is no vibration or sound coming from the shade, even on the highway. That's awesome.

But I have one huge question I thought of while driving home: how would I put latch the soft top closed when the shade is between the sky and the latch-recipient-mechanism (technical term for those gearheads)? Maybe just peel back the magnets and latch the soft top, but then what do I do with the very front end of the shade?

Look at picture #5 from the two post above it slips right above the latches.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Look at picture #5 from the two post above it slips right above the latches.
But I can't get it to open! I'm using an Acer desktop from 1997.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I removed my Alien two piece they are just to close to your head as they are recessed in the openings. too confining and you do not get the open feeling as it is only about 2" above my head and I am only 6' with seat in the lowest position. That was a waste of $100

Alien%20clearance_zpsjkpik7yv.jpg

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity how tall are you @lightsout? My wife and I were discussing this tonight and she noted that the crown of my head is "above" the roll cage, but I'm ~1 inch from the sound bar.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Out of curiosity how tall are you @lightsout? My wife and I were discussing this tonight and she noted that the crown of my head is "above" the roll cage, but I'm ~1 inch from the sound bar.
I am 6' seat set at lowest level

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The thing is with the mesh so close you have to look straight up to really have decent visablility through it with it so close to eye levelit is just a black liner so you do not get that open feeling. last weekend we were our in the mountains and rolled of to several groups Bouldering (rock Climbing) with the mesh so close I could not see a thing as we sat in the Wrangler watching them, so I removed it and have not put it back on and will not. I baseball hat is all I need.

Frankly I did not really see much difference in wind while driving with or without. If I lived in a southern climate I might reconsider but here in the NW it is not for us. We buy convertibles for the open air feeling and it is totally lost with the sunscreen, Just wear a higher SPF and a hat or wear a mesh shirt...

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am considering the front & back option and occasionally have the front one in. My son is 6 and complains about too much wind so I figure it would be a way of satisfying me and the wife, while keeping him content.
Sponsored