Sponsored

Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal? E4C6D6C3-9BDE-4835-8449-E2357681B25D
I mounted one to my tailgate just Incase. But haven’t used it yet.

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
I have found deep sand where I didn't expect it before, had to dig out with a friggin flip flop, never again.
I knew that Jeep looked familiar, Tell Kyle I said Hi, Rich from GB

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I knew that Jeep looked familiar, Tell Kyle I said Hi, Rich from GB
Will do buddy, you gotta come out some weekend when Kyle gets his janky jeep fixed and do some trails with us, lots of good stuff over this way and we are just hitting "the season".

Guy Jepsy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Rubicon JLU
I love my Council Tool CT42 -FSS, It’s an military folding shovel on a 42” long handle. Use it as a shovel/hoe/pick without getting down on your knees. Mine secures crosswise on the rollbar under the top so it never rusts or gets stolen. Easier to use than the stock folding shovel and none of the silly gewgaws on the catalogue stuff . Just a solid functional tool. Yes, I’ve used it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal? 455CE75C-1678-464B-BA05-6B8F554E7EDD

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also use the Korean War US Army surplus shovel. It was cheap, compact, solid, and has a pickaxe. Like others, I haven't used it. BUT, I can think of a couple times in my YJ where I would have if I'd had it. That's why I carry it now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorta like a high school kid with a profolactic. Leave home without one and you may be really screwed.
If I'd had one of those, I'd have found the same situation in high school as when I've carried a shovel in my Jeep. No opportunity to use it. :CWL:

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
The difference between a friend and buddy.... You call a buddy and need help he responds what do you want. The friend responds "I got a shovel and tarp, I'll be there soon" ;) I've hardly ever needed it, mainly times I don't have one. Times used rock crawling... Scraping up soil after blowing out power steering return line. Stuck in sand, mud. Possible to dig hole to set up Deadman for winch anchor "terrain depending" measure tool for water / mud depth.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I don't often go off road, but when I do, I bring my CRKT Trencher. It doesn't take much space and has some real heft at 3.5 lbs. There's bladed and serrated edges for hacking and slashing and you can lock it sideways to use as a pint sized Hoe of Destruction (tm). It also has a molle sheath if you happen to have molle panels.
Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal? httpsimages.salsify.comimageuploads--_0ldnnrh--c_padw_1840h_824fl_clip.png8rvdd8ezrak50izf9rjho

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
3rd Jeep, been wheeling since 2005. I've never used one for recovery, but I've used it to clear logs, etc, and actually used it to clean up trail spills (kitty litter, shoveled up the dirt/ kitty litter into a trash bag, then packed it out.

If you're using a shovel to recover? Don't. You've already screwed up bad by not buying a winch.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
3rd Jeep, been wheeling since 2005. I've never used one for recovery, but I've used it to clear logs, etc, and actually used it to clean up trail spills (kitty litter, shoveled up the dirt/ kitty litter into a trash bag, then packed it out.

If you're using a shovel to recover? Don't. You've already screwed up bad by not buying a winch.
I am with you. I have been wheeling since the late 80s. I have never used a shovel for recovery. A shovel is for digging your poo hole and burring said poo, and digging fire pits. I buy stuff so that I don't have to use a shovel for recovery and pick better lines.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am with you. I have been wheeling since the late 80s. I have never used a shovel for recovery. A shovel is for digging your poo hole and burring said poo, and digging fire pits. I buy stuff so that I don't have to use a shovel for recovery and pick better lines.
There are two types of liars, those who say they don't get stuck, and those who say they don't get stuck anymore ;) :giggle: jk!

Once in a while you just might need a shovel. I've had my fair share of stucks. Sometimes for being stupid (hydrolocked), sometimes for mechanical failure (locking hub, t-case, u-joints), and a few times for getting in over my head. Of course I was young and dumb. And I'm not so young anymore...
Sponsored