Sponsored

Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I would put it there w better than hands. But not by much. And hands might be faster depending what your digging.
Lol, right. I'm sure that US troops just throw their entrenching tools aside and use their hands. :LOL:
Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I have been stuck in mud, sand, and snow enough to always have at least one shovel. I have a folding avalanche shovel in the Jeep bag that is light but will work in just about any material and have a larger, D-handle fiberglass spade from the home store that comes along on most trips. Both have been used to dig out the Jeep, level campsites, and dig poop holes.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
The majority of my off-roading will be while surf fishing on the beaches. All beaches that I will be frequenting require a shovel as part of your mandatory gear. I have a folding military shovel that will go in my kit but am thinking of putting a long handle shovel on the roof rack in the event I need to shovel out in the center line of the Jeep. I also like to travel back roads for photography opportunities and a shovel would be good to have especially in snowy situations. You never know what will arise.
A military trenching shovel is part of my beach kit.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Lol, right. I'm sure that US troops just throw their entrenching tools aside and use their hands. :LOL:
I am not trying to be like a troop and dig in a waist high trench. I want the easiest tool for the job.

If I ever see you using one of those silly little shovels, I will give you mine from home depot.

Sorry. It's like using a bike tire pump to inflate a 37.

U carry a Rambo knife too? With the compass?

Dorian

First Name
Dorian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I always carry a full sized shovel strapped to my roof rack. Do trips through a lot of desert and sandy washes. Sometimes some snow. Usually poor options to use as anchors for the winch. Always go to the shovel first, then the recovery boards. Winch is my last choice.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Since your in-the-know give me the most killer tac shovel u know of. I will buy it, and try it. I am open to being educated. what serrated-fold-neck non-sharpened, matte spray painted shovel works easily for a large man with a shoe larger than the shovel handle? So I can dig my jeep out of a hole in BFE and not get shot.

I will put this shovel SXS in a digging contest in anything against something I sharpened that fell out of the back of someones truck on the highway.

Spend the coin on a better winch. And I do carry a shovel.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am not trying to be like a troop and dig in a waist high trench. I want the easiest tool for the job.

If I ever see you using one of those silly little shovels, I will give you mine from home depot.

Sorry. It's like using a bike tire pump to inflate a 37.

U carry a Rambo knife too? With the compass?
When I see you using one of those silly shovels from Home Depot, I'll laugh at you from the seat of my Caterpillar back hoe.

I'll bet you carry an entire Snap-On tool chest, too, right? Right.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since your in-the-know give me the most killer tac shovel u know of. I will buy it, and try it. I am open to being educated. what serrated-fold-neck non-sharpened, matte spray painted shovel works easily for a large man with a shoe larger than the shovel handle? So I can dig my jeep out of a hole in BFE and not get shot.

I will put this shovel SXS in a digging contest in anything against something I sharpened that fell out of the back of someones truck on the highway.

Spend the coin on a better winch. And I do carry a shovel.
Simple. I have a Korean war surplus US Army bi-fold shovel/pick. I've had it for probably 25 years. Had to use it once, IIRC, with my YJ at Turkey Bay ORV area in Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky..

Not sure the point of a digging contest. How about a weight/size contest for the 99.999% of the time that you won't be using it?

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
When I see you using one of those silly shovels from Home Depot, I'll laugh at you from the seat of my Caterpillar back hoe.

I'll bet you carry an entire Snap-On tool chest, too, right? Right.
Man, my thoughts exactly.

Nope, on the tool chest.

I've used those korean war era shovels, to heavy equipment, to even laying mats a few times.

Digging anything other than loose sand or a fire pit with those is probably a good choice for someone who has never spent a few days on a ladder.

Half that crap is cheap chinese made stamped pot. 200 bucks for a fin'g shovel. Please.

Carry an old stamped steel GI pot to match your shovel. You can get a bigger scoop with that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Man, my thoughts exactly.

Nope, on the tool chest.

I've used those korean war era shovels, to heavy equipment, to even laying mats a few times.

Digging anything other than loose sand or a fire pit with those is probably a good choice for someone who has never spent a few days on a ladder.

Half that crap is cheap chinese made stamped pot. 200 bucks for a fin'g shovel. Please.

Carry an old stamped steel GI pot to match your shovel. You can get a bigger scoop with that.
Uh, ok.

Sponsored

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Gunny had bad gear accountability so I have a pristine e-tool that I use almost exclusively for desert shits... Think I dug out a LAV tire in some sand one time so we could swap it so they have their moments.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
well shoot, only been wheelin since '88, only recently have i had a winch, a shovel on the other hand? always carried one, used to carry a real one too, for the reasons mentioned, those lil folding ones are pretty much crap or for going off in the bush to take one. I also carry a pick axe and 200lbs of tools. the shovel and axe have come in handy for trail maintenance when a trail may be considered impassable, a few hours work and its passable again. As for the tools, they have proven worth their weight in gold. We most often wheel alone, so self recovery and repair are a must. Id offer that those that have never needed such gear probably dont get out much or out very far. Get out in the middle of the desert, miles from anywhere and you will be happy for all the hardly used items you carry.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I accumulated multiple sets of TA-50 through the years, so of course the old faithful E-Tool is always on standby until I need it! Mainly used for chopping small trees, brush & bushes... not much digging. I just cleaned it the other day in fact and noticed the date on it was 1969! Older than I am!

I saw Gerber makes a new one for $$$...
Gerber

But this one here is old faithful (Unless China is knocking them off now..)
USGI E-Tool

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Still have a MK 1 MOD 0 Matt Axe and E-Tool, don't carry them when off-road but use them in the yard for various things. I have a Bond Mini that's about 2 feet long and I used to carry that but I now carry a 42 inch shovel which is a lot better on this old back. it also fits perfect on my accessary bar along with my axe. They tuck in up high on my roll bar along with my Hi-Lift. easy to get to but out of the way when not needed.

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I keep an US Army folding shovel in my Jeep. Needed to use it a couple times when my dad got stuck in quick sand.
Sponsored