Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
3rd Jeep, been wheeling since 2005. I've never used one for recovery, but I've used it to clear logs, etc, and actually used it to clean up trail spills (kitty litter, shoveled up the dirt/ kitty litter into a trash bag, then packed it out.

If you're using a shovel to recover? Don't. You've already screwed up bad by not buying a winch.

Advertisement

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
3rd Jeep, been wheeling since 2005. I've never used one for recovery, but I've used it to clear logs, etc, and actually used it to clean up trail spills (kitty litter, shoveled up the dirt/ kitty litter into a trash bag, then packed it out.

If you're using a shovel to recover? Don't. You've already screwed up bad by not buying a winch.
I am with you. I have been wheeling since the late 80s. I have never used a shovel for recovery. A shovel is for digging your poo hole and burring said poo, and digging fire pits. I buy stuff so that I don't have to use a shovel for recovery and pick better lines.

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am with you. I have been wheeling since the late 80s. I have never used a shovel for recovery. A shovel is for digging your poo hole and burring said poo, and digging fire pits. I buy stuff so that I don't have to use a shovel for recovery and pick better lines.
There are two types of liars, those who say they don't get stuck, and those who say they don't get stuck anymore ;) :giggle: jk!

Once in a while you just might need a shovel. I've had my fair share of stucks. Sometimes for being stupid (hydrolocked), sometimes for mechanical failure (locking hub, t-case, u-joints), and a few times for getting in over my head. Of course I was young and dumb. And I'm not so young anymore...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
There are two types of liars, those who say they don't get stuck, and those who say they don't get stuck anymore ;) :giggle: jk!

Once in a while you just might need a shovel. I've had my fair share of stucks. Sometimes for being stupid (hydrolocked), sometimes for mechanical failure (locking hub, t-case, u-joints), and a few times for getting in over my head. Of course I was young and dumb. And I'm not so young anymore...
I have been stuck, just never used a shovel to get unstuck. I have hooked my winch line 10 feet up in a tree to pick the front of the JLUR out of the mud hole. Sure, I could have used a shovel there, but hey a 12,000 pound winch will pick the front end up out of a hole.

Sean K.

Banned
Banned
First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I have been stuck, just never used a shovel to get unstuck. I have hooked my winch line 10 feet up in a tree to pick the front of the JLUR out of the mud hole. Sure, I could have used a shovel there, but hey a 12,000 pound winch will pick the front end up out of a hole.
Same here...stuck plenty. Just never used a shovel to get out.

OP
DShanesky

DShanesky

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I purchased the small Rhino brand folding shovel. I have it in my recovery bag. Hopefully I don’t need it but you know......Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If we're being honest, the couple times I've been stuck in deep sand where a shovel would have been useful, I didn't have one on me. And had to resort to the chancla method...

Sean K.

Banned
Banned
First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
For my uses (when in a full bodied rig) a Hi-Lift is much more important for recovery than a shovel.

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber ABS
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I carry a shovel and need have used it a few times.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Nice! What mount is that?
It's a Teraflex high lift jack mount modified with a couple of Quick Fists instead of the jack mounting bolts. Works great!

Last edited:

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
It's a Teraflex high lift jack mount modified with a couple of Quick Fists instead of the jack mounting bolts. Works great!
Can you take a pic of how you have the mount attached?

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Sure- here you go. Used large fender washers on the back side of the Quick Fists to provide some additional rigidity. Rubber pad glued to the bolt heads helps keep the shovel from rotating.

IMG_9616.jpeg

IMG_9617.jpeg

IMG_9618.jpeg

Last edited:

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
The majority of my off-roading will be while surf fishing on the beaches. All beaches that I will be frequenting require a shovel as part of your mandatory gear. I have a folding military shovel that will go in my kit but am thinking of putting a long handle shovel on the roof rack in the event I need to shovel out in the center line of the Jeep. I also like to travel back roads for photography opportunities and a shovel would be good to have especially in snowy situations. You never know what will arise.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement