Sponsored

Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Have yet to use one ever on a trail. Warn Winch , snatch block, tree saver, tow straps , many times.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Old saying: It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
To me it's the most important tool of all- so many uses, and I never wheel without one. I strongly recommend the "MurderSpork" from Krazy Beaver Tools. https://krazybeavertools.com/collections/frontpage

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 9.08.06 AM.png
An $84 shovel. Baller! I try to do everything in my power not to use a shovel. I have one with me of course, but if I can avoid it I do. Yet you never know when you might need to dig a 6ft by 3 ft hole 6 ft. deep. Then you will want a good shovel.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I never really needed a big shovel. I keep one of these though and they are pretty cool. Can be used like a machete as well.

Cold Steel Tactical Camp Shovel

51zIbDUh7LL._AC_SL1254_.jpg
I like Cold Steel product. This will be my shovel, when the folding piece of crap $12 shovel gives up it's life.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DShanesky

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
An $84 shovel. Baller! I try to do everything in my power not to use a shovel. I have one with me of course, but if I can avoid it I do. Yet you never know when you might need to dig a 6ft by 3 ft hole 6 ft. deep. Then you will want a good shovel.
I like the look of that shovel mounted on the back of your rig but I’m not gonna shell out $84 bucks. I think I’m gonna get the folding shovel from Amazon for 22 bucks and I think that will be good for the sugar sand here in FLA!

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
I like the look of that shovel mounted on the back of your rig but I’m not gonna shell out $84 bucks. I think I’m gonna get the folding shovel from Amazon for 22 bucks and I think that will be good for the sugar sand here in FLA!
Sugar sand is the kind of thing that requires a backhoe.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
One of the first mods was a holder from Dominion Offroad. Mounts on the roll bar and holds a HiLift, full size shovel and an ax. So far they have never been off the rack. I have used the winch a couple of times and also the snatch strap. Most of this stuff is like carrying a gun. You don't need one until you need one and then you really need one.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Been driving jeeps since 1969. Learned my lesson when I lowcentered in a gully in AZ and had to dig out with a bush knife. I dont run offroad anymore, but I still had the military issue e-tool ordered before my JL was delivered...wont leave the garage without one.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Also the wrong way to smother a fire.
If it's yours, you're right. But it's not when it's all you have and you've come across someone else's half hearted or non-existent attempt. It's better than letting it smolder-you use what you have.
Early on in COVID, Krazy Beaver was running a great sale, and I think I got the shovel for like $50. Not sure I'd pay $84 for one now, but like any tool, you get what you pay for. It's really well built, and for me, it was also a great opportunity to support a small company right here in Colorado during challenging times.

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I currently have a winch, 4 drings, a tow strap, tree saver, and four solid recovery points. I am wondering how important these Swiss Army knife type shovels are to everyone’s recovery gear. Some people swear by them. Just wanted to get some thoughts.
I am attaching a picture of one that I am looking at on amazon. Thanks!

29E74215-99F7-4923-9F17-1DA4275EF789.jpeg
i have a 3 foot home depot shovel and since i overland its the first thing i load up. i used it to put out my fires and and dig out the wheels when stuck in the sand or mud. best money you can spend

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
if you carry an axe, can probably cut that hole size down a bit on the length and width. Still want to go at least 6’ deep though...