Sponsored

Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I carried one for years, never used it, stopped carrying one.
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I never really needed a big shovel. I keep one of these though and they are pretty cool. Can be used like a machete as well.

Cold Steel Tactical Camp Shovel

51zIbDUh7LL._AC_SL1254_.jpg

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have a winch, 4 drings, a tow strap, tree saver, and four solid recovery points. I am wondering how important these Swiss Army knife type shovels are to everyone’s recovery gear. Some people swear by them. Just wanted to get some thoughts.
I am attaching a picture of one that I am looking at on amazon. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal? 51zIbDUh7LL._AC_SL1254_
My Gf bought me that exact shovel...... it is very cool..... but that's about it.... the screwdriver bit that it is supposed to lock into is just plastic and when i tried to use it as a screw driver well let's just say it does work anymore... the shovel head is kind of sharp but the handle design isn't worth a crap... mine broke when trying to use it to cut / split wood and / or dig. I would look for something useful. I wheel in rocks, mud, snow and sand, doesn't matter to me and in the mud and snow and sand it can be useful. Just my opinion...

OP
OP
DShanesky

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My Gf bought me that exact shovel...... it is very cool..... but that's about it.... the screwdriver bit that it is supposed to lock into is just plastic and when i tried to use it as a screw driver well let's just say it does work anymore... the shovel head is kind of sharp but the handle design isn't worth a crap... mine broke when trying to use it to cut / split wood and / or dig. I would look for something useful. I wheel in rocks, mud, snow and sand, doesn't matter to me and in the mud and snow and sand it can be useful. Just my opinion...
Good to know! Thanks for the review of that shovel. I may look for something sturdy that just does one thing right instead of 30 things not so great.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I carry one. I’ve only ever used it for digging other people out of the snow and quenching other peoples campfires as stated.

So yes, useful thing to carry.

Sponsored

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have never used it but I sure do have one. If I could take only one thing it’d be a shovel. You’d be surprised what you can do with them.

2A60D88D-5B29-42CB-988F-2169ABF15A4D.png
I have that exact shovel. Not the sturdiest of things. But it works for many conditions.
Shoveling sand and snow work great.

Works for digging a hole for the s**t too. :)

Last edited:

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I don't know why you wouldn't carry one, they don't cost anything, don't take up much room, and they can be really useful. Heck, maybe you see a cool half buried rock you probably aren't supposed to collect. Shovel to the rescue. Or impromptu sand castle.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think that a shovel is critical. I have a Good-quality folding one that I purchased at Quadratec.

a shovel and some traction boards should be able to get me out of a few jams. I don’t have a winch —- still considering.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We have kept this in the different Jeeps we have owned and have used it down in Florida and at the beach to help others

18923509-8432-4946-930A-E5AFDF4E9ED5.jpeg

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
I think that a shovel is critical. I have a Good-quality folding one that I purchased at Quadratec.

a shovel and some traction boards should be able to get me out of a few jams. I don’t have a winch —- still considering.
The winch goes on her Jeep next week. Honestly, the peace of mind all alone makes it worth it to me.
Sponsored