Sponsored

Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal?

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have a winch, 4 drings, a tow strap, tree saver, and four solid recovery points. I am wondering how important these Swiss Army knife type shovels are to everyone’s recovery gear. Some people swear by them. Just wanted to get some thoughts.
I am attaching a picture of one that I am looking at on amazon. Thanks!

29E74215-99F7-4923-9F17-1DA4275EF789.jpeg
Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I thought it was a poll? 100% always have a shovel (of some sort) when you go somewhere that you plan to use 4LO. Or just always have one on-board. I'm also in Canada where 1 full-size dirt shovel for offroad turns to 3 in winter for snow clearing. The Scout in me says to always be prepared! I keep them tied-up above the sport bar in the back.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional

Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
It's not. Never used one on the trail for recovery. Have only used a pick axe once on the trail....and we opened a LOT of trails...but they were all rockcrawling ones. If I dealt with snow/mud/sand...a shovel might make more sense.
So here in Colorado, many campers have no concept of properly quenching your campfire, even when there's a statewide fire ban like Colorado has presently and you're not even supposed to have one in the first place. The most common use I've had for my shovel off road is smothering abandoned smoldering campfires left behind by these thoughtless a-holes.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Never carried one and never needed one. I only do rock crawling though.

Very little camping and I avoid mud and snow wheeling. Otherwise I’d probably want one.

To your list above, I’d add a couple snatch blocks, soft shackles, and another short strap (wrapping around a rzr or the like that doesn’t have a recovery point) before a shovel.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I have two in the JL, one of the Rhino folding and one bigger one about the same size as the crazy beaver (but a Lowes brand - good quality, much less money). We have a lot of sand and soft stuff around here. Since it is a multitasker, at least one is always in the vehicle.

Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I haven't needed one yet but I carry a small folding entrenching tool type shovel since it doesn't take up much space. I agree with others - it really depends on your terrain. If you're out in the rocks all the time, a shovel isn't going to be too useful. In sand or snow, it's going to be way more important.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
a shovel is very useful. i carry a small non folding garden shovel that bungees in cab vertical to the roll bar so its always handy.