Sponsored

Did TSB 08-074-20 fixed your Steering Issues

• Total voters

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I'm in the same boat-- I just had the fix installed yesterday and while the steering feels better, I have a 2020 EcoDiesel and I swear that FCA and the dealerships are like "huhhh?" on all things diesel. Hoping that it is not a safety issue in the future.

I have had the replacement box on the diesel for a couple months now with no problems. I did contact my dealer and they confirmed the replacement box is not a safety issue. Dealer also said when the correct box is available they will contact me and install it.

I think the only difference between boxes is 14:1 vs 15:1. Maybe someone can confirm?
Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Yup, I was going to say I believe the only difference is the steering ratio between the diesel and the four-door. And then I think even a third steering ratio that goes onto the two doors? Not sure on that one.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My TSB was done on Wednesday, December 2nd...

On Saturday, December 5th, I took a 10 hour, 650 mile road trip, 75/25% interstate/city & county roads. My steering doesn't seem to wander quite as much, but I get the same feeling of the shimmy every time I hit a bump as I did before. I installed the Fox 2.0 Stabilizers right after I purchased the JLUS so that may be why I'm not feeling a difference there.

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe
Got the TSB finally done on Friday and the steering is now tight without wandering, except the alignment was not done very well for the steering wheel is about 6 degrees crooked to the right. I dropped it back this morning since the dealer still need to work on paint bubbles around door hinges and paint crack on rear quarter panel seem.

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Had it done about one week ago. I would say it is a little tighter but nothing really noticeable. Definitely still has a dead spot. Steering wheel was out of alignment. Got around yesterday to fixing that. Next I’m going to check the toe to see if they screwed that up too.

Sponsored

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
After a decent battle with my dealership about it, mine was completed saturday. They did the reprogramming before they ordered the part, which improved "feel" on center but didn't actually do anything for lateral stability. It still wandered everywhere but there was definitely more feel to the steering, like power assist rolls in more gradually off center, hard to explain.

Absolute night and day difference after the box replacement, it tracks dead straight. Doesn't have anywhere near as much center dead spot and requires much less steering input on the highway. Also the box doesn't visibly flex when I check the steering :LOL:

Haven't checked torque on the bolts yet but will do that this week at some point. Very pleased with the results

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got the TSB finally done on Friday and the steering is now tight without wandering, except the alignment was not done very well for the steering wheel is about 6 degrees crooked to the right. I dropped it back this morning since the dealer still need to work on paint bubbles around door hinges and paint crack on rear quarter panel seem.
My steering wheel was off as well! Thanks for sharing. I'll totally call my dealer once more.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
How many of you guys have a lift and/or big tires on your jeeps before bringing it in? I just made an appointment with my dealer just to diagnose the issue, and the service guy told me there's fine print in there about lifted jeeps. I just have a 2.5" spacer lift, so hopefully I still fall within the "approval parameters", but I feel like their fine print just gives them an excuse to deny the TSB. We will see...

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe
No lift on my '19 JLUR but swapped out my 315/70 Duratracs on Moab wheels to stock wheels w 285/70 KO2's before bringing her in.

Sponsored

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
How many of you guys have a lift and/or big tires on your jeeps before bringing it in? I just made an appointment with my dealer just to diagnose the issue, and the service guy told me there's fine print in there about lifted jeeps. I just have a 2.5" spacer lift, so hopefully I still fall within the "approval parameters", but I feel like their fine print just gives them an excuse to deny the TSB. We will see...
Your feeling there is accurate. I had swapped in a Rubicon suspension into my sport, running 285/75/R17s and they denied me. When they check the alignment it will be trim specific. My caster was below minimum spec for a sport by 0.2 degrees, I had a decent fight with the dealer and FCA about it and ended up having to return the suspension and tires back to stock. Oh and my gas tank was empty and the vehicle totally unloaded when they took their snapshot on the machine. If they can deny you they absolutely will. I'd highly advise at least getting an alignment printout beforehand and if you're adjustable make sure it's within specs for your trim level.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Well that's the thing...my dealer installed my spacer lift AND they aligned it, which put everything in spec. Part of the fine print says that if it's lifted to much to be within alignment specs, it doesn't quality for the TSB. Like other people have mentioned, FCA covers all the dealer's costs to do these TSB's, so I don't know why we have to fight to get them done.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well that's the thing...my dealer installed my spacer lift AND they aligned it, which put everything in spec. Part of the fine print says that if it's lifted to much to be within alignment specs, it doesn't quality for the TSB. Like other people have mentioned, FCA covers all the dealer's costs to do these TSB's, so I don't know why we have to fight to get them done.
Unless your spacer lift also includes control arms your caster would be worse than mine. No way around that. Your dealer is just cooler than mine :CWL:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is lifted 4-5”, with 33s. My dealership had zero issues with that when they replaced the steering box.
Sponsored