Did TSB 08-074-20 fixed your Steering Issues

• Total voters

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
lol wow! How does it drive? :)
I voted it solved my problem. The new box is a night and day improvement over the old one. I just completed a 2000 mile road trip and it preformed very well. This diesel just glides down the interstate at 90MPH. It is not perfect as it still has some trouble tracking on narrow back roads. But still MUCH better than the old box. A huge improvement.

I can confirm that I did have the aluminum box as original. I can also confirm that my dealer changed it to the cast iron box with the 68507569AA part number on it. It definitely fits and improves the steering significantly.

My concern now is why FCA say it will not work. Is there a safety issue?
Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Drove about 250 miles over the weekend on the new box in my 2020 JLUR manufactured Feb 2020.
I do believe the box helped and is a good change. It doesn't make the jeep steering perfect, as in it's not going to feel like a sports car or even a luxury SUV for that matter. You still have to make adjustments on a fairly regular basis, however the adjustments needed are much smaller, the vehicle overall does show improvement in tracking, and driving 1 handed on the freeway is now relatively stress free. Before I felt pretty strongly you needed 2 hands on the wheel at highway speeds. also quick looks at your radio to change your music or inputs are less likely to result in potentially leaving your lane for that 1-2 seconds your eyes leave the road.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
My TSB was done last week. On my 3-mile drive home, it seemed better or different. I went for a 50-mile drive yesterday and found the 1-2" dead spot was still there, and had a couple of odd leftward turns. It was sort of like the alignment just sort of changed then went back. Either way, this Jeep is not like anything I've ever driven (have owned 35 cars so far... 7 Jeeps including 2 CJs)

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The latest TSB states the box will not fit the diesel. See attached TSB. But yet mine had one installed.

gear.jpg
I voted it solved my problem. The new box is a night and day improvement over the old one. I just completed a 2000 mile road trip and it preformed very well. This diesel just glides down the interstate at 90MPH. It is not perfect as it still has some trouble tracking on narrow back roads. But still MUCH better than the old box. A huge improvement.

I can confirm that I did have the aluminum box as original. I can also confirm that my dealer changed it to the cast iron box with the 68507569AA part number on it. It definitely fits and improves the steering significantly.

My concern now is why FCA say it will not work. Is there a safety issue?
@Ruby Mike FYI! This!

JaxPilot

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito! Sahara 2.0L Turbo
100% fixed, less than 24 hours at the dealership, no hassle, no haggle!

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Steering is tighter, but now when turning the steering wheel (especially when at rest) there are a bunch of small "jumps" in the wheel. Almost as if the power steering doesn't have the umph to turn the wheel... so it's "jumpy" feeling through the steering wheel while turning from side to side. It'll then (only sometimes) make a larger jump of about .5-1inches then tighten back up.

Edit: a better analogy might be it's like tightening a rounded bolt where it slips half the time. Feels like it's grabbing, slips a notch, grabbing, slips a notch, repeat.

No sound while this is happening.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm wondering if it's the computer refresh, or maybe a bit needs to be torqued, etc.?

Last edited:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the new steering gear installed. It drives straighter with no wander, the steering wheel feels firmer and requires much less adjustment while driving. I still need to get it on the highway for a longer drive to be sure.

It does require a little more energy to turn the steering wheel at lower speeds than before, and I absolutely love this!

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Picked mine up today after the TSB was performed. I have only driven about 20 miles. The dealer installed the correct box this time!! The steering is MUCH better. I do not have the heavier or stiffer steering wheel feel that many others are reporting ( I was actually looking forward to a harder to turn steering wheel). There still seems to be a dead spot, just smaller. This is NOT my first Jeep and I know what to expect a Jeep to feel like. One more thing I noticed when I got home, when sitting in the driveway in park at idle, when I turn the steering wheel hard in either direction, the idle speed increases. I have the 3.6 and 8speed auto. I am going to drive it more and will update my experience here. Dont get me wrong....it is a big improvement.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Picked mine up today after the TSB was performed. I have only driven about 20 miles. The dealer installed the correct box this time!! The steering is MUCH better. I do not have the heavier or stiffer steering wheel feel that many others are reporting ( I was actually looking forward to a harder to turn steering wheel). There still seems to be a dead spot, just smaller. This is NOT my first Jeep and I know what to expect a Jeep to feel like. One more thing I noticed when I got home, when sitting in the driveway in park at idle, when I turn the steering wheel hard in either direction, the idle speed increases. I have the 3.6 and 8speed auto. I am going to drive it more and will update my experience here. Dont get me wrong....it is a big improvement.
I noticed the idle speed increase this afternoon as well (3.6 auto). I'm wondering if it has to do with the new programming and allowing the pump to keep up? Not sure how the new one differs mechanically. Only aware of the difference in type of metal.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My part is on order as of 10/26/2020, they said it should come in around Mid-November... They are currently on backorder...

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Just done this TSB on my 2018 Sahara, I have aftermarket suspension and dealer didn’t give me too much trouble. Difference was night and day! No more dead spot in my steering wheel, resistance is even all the way! Now my JL drives like a normal car! So I guess this isn’t one of those “Just-a-Jeep-thing”s.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
TSB fixed my 1-2 inch of play in the wheel but it still wanders around a bit.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The part is on order for both of our Jeeps, hopefully they'll be in soon...

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I had mine done yesterday and went on a 100-120 mile road trip today. There was a moderate cross wind and I drove 75-80 mph. It did not feel as though I was constantly making steering adjustments and every time I went across a bridge seam I didn't feel the steering wheel shimmy. I had already added the longer Mopar lca's for additional caster and noticed some difference, I'd say with the new steering box I'm pretty happy.
Now I'm waiting on a new 8.4 radio that was ordered because mine randomly restarts and the back up camera stops working intermittently🙄.

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the same boat-- I just had the fix installed yesterday and while the steering feels better, I have a 2020 EcoDiesel and I swear that FCA and the dealerships are like "huhhh?" on all things diesel. Hoping that it is not a safety issue in the future.
Sponsored