Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The service writer said that he was unable to get the steel steering box. When he tried the system bounced it back. I trust his word on this. Seems rev b screwed me.
I'm sorry....but this doesn't sound correct?

The Service writer has to put in the order for the steel steering box, after performing an inspection on your vehicle. If they believe you have the issue, they can order it. Also the TSB indicates that if the owner says mentions the detailed symptoms the dealership is supposed to make the repair. There has been some issue with dealerships not making the repair if your jeep is modded though.

FCA is being very restrictive when it comes to the box and the bolt(s) that comes with it. And it may take a while, depending on where you are located. I'm in Houston and it took almost a month for the parts to come in. Also there may be a list of people before you, if the dealership is indeed performing this repair.

So, I don't believe your service writer is being honest...

I highly recommend you contact @JeepCares and inform them of what was told to you. I reached out to them and they were extremely helpful with getting the parts to me quicker.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I think some people are just voting even if they didn’t have the TSB done because we are all “complainers” and it “drives like a Jeep”...
You think? Hmm...

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
My dealership ordered the new steering box and apparently they can only order 1 every 14 days lol But just glad I'm in queue to getting it fixed! I'll provide an update after its installed.
Same here

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I just submitted a message with jeepcares. The dealership said in no uncertain terms the TSB will not apply to the diesel. Something isn't right.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I just submitted a message with jeepcares. The dealership said in no uncertain terms the TSB will not apply to the diesel. Something isn't right.
There was a bulletin and it listed the jeeps this would work on...lemme try to find it...

update...the bulletin indicates the following:

2018-2020 (JL) Jeep Wrangler
2020 (JT) Jeep Gladiator

whoa and i found this....

"Optional Equipment:

Labor Operation No: 19-00-016D
Description: 3.0L Turbo Diesel Equipped (2-skilled)
Skill Category: 6- electrical and body systems
Amount: .2 hours"

Looks like it does work for a diesel

Here's the bulletin: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/tsb-08-074-20-pdf.356442/

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For those with excessive play in your steering (large dead spot), even after the TSB, here's something to ponder...

Coming from the steering column, there's a cable that connects to the gearbox via an off-white plastic-type cap that has a set screw. I'm wondering if that cap with the set screw may have a slight gap that would create a delay in the steering wheel's connectivity to the gearbox.

The reason this came to mind, is that when I was installing my own AE version of the gearbox, I hadn't yet tightened the set bolt all the way and noticed my steering had a ton of lag (which it didn't before). When I tightened that set screw, everything went back to normal.

I suppose the best way to test if this is an issue some of you are facing is to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth as you watch the "action" on the steering column's connection to the gearbox and the movement in the pitman arm. The driver's side fender liner would need to be removed to do this most effectively.

On mine, even the slightest movement of the wheel causes the pitman arm to move. If you're dealing with a lag, it could be that the connection from the steering column to the gear box has too much play and needs to be replaced, or the set screw needs to be torqued.

This may not be your issue, but if you're having lag issues after the TSB, it may be worth checking.

Best of luck!

Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Just my luck. Well hopefully, maybe something will change to allow us diesel owners an opportunity for the new steering box.
Doesn't the diesel have a different ratio box? Maybe there is another PN that will be released for diesels.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Doesn't the diesel have a different ratio box? Maybe there is another PN that will be released for diesels.
From the information that I was given, currently there is no steering box available for the diesel jeep. Apparently the box will not fit. No estimated time for replacement of the box was given. Jeep cares agent said that I would be notified when or if the replacement becomes available.

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
According to the dealership the TSB does NOT apply for the diesel Rubicon. The service writer said that the steel steering box will not fit. Anyone else have this issue.

The latest TSB states the box will not fit the diesel. See attached TSB. But yet mine had one installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: Did TSB 08-074-20 Fix Your Steering Issues? gear

Attachments