• Total voters

Howard crusoe

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jo rubicon
This loose steering issue has nothing to do with worn service items or damage due to off roading. These vehicles were built for rock crawling, off roading, etc and replacing bushings and ball joints is normal. The symptoms of those worn service items are different than the steering box flex causing loose steering. The new steel gear box flexes much less than the aluminum one and is far less susceptible to heat-related expansion.

Also just in general, in America we've got many experienced companies with a knack for building Jeeps and Jeep parts and we've got trails that would demolish a stock JL. A properly built jeep will perform better on the rocks and can even feel better than a stock configuration on the road. I would imagine there is less of a reason to build too far beyond stock in the UK, but over here we've got, as you see on YouTube, hundreds and hundreds of legendarily difficult trails cut for Jeeps.
Yes just read your post. I’m green with envy of all the great trails you have over there in the states. It’s a massive country. In the uk we call it green laneing. It’s not a tenth of what you have. over here you can guarantee someone will jump out of a hedge row to moan at you being there and probably call the police. The vehicle of choice over here would be a land rover defender or discovery. They are great vehicles too. Although they rust like you wouldn’t believe noisy, thirsty and drop oil too. I don’t want to be disrespectful to any of you fellas but. The rubicon over here has a on the road ticket for £50k plus, a lot of money in my head I have a hard time squaring the fact that people would drive this expensive vehicle over as you say jeep killing terrain. Don’t get me wrong we do have off road competitions and the such but I think our budgets are a little more conservative. Most spares come from scrap yards and work is done by the owner. Also if I put all this after market stuff on, it would void any warranty that I had. I intend to drive it soon on the continent of Europe and some of these countries wouldn’t let it off the boat if it looked anything more than standard. It’s interesting to hear of all your problems with the JL and perhaps I may have some off them in the future but so far touch wood it’s been great. My favourite YouTube channels is cheeperjeeper and epic family road trip. I think we come from the same mind set and maturity.
Sponsored

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Got the TSB done on my 2019 JLS; steering wonder is gone, and it tracks straight and true. Tested it on freeway, high-speed 2 lane, around town, and curvey secondary road...I am very pleased with the results! No more "boat-like" steering with constant corrections (seemed to be temperature sensitive; drove better cold). Steering effort unchanged.

I checked all part numbers and inspected the work. Only issues were steering wheel off center, and unpainted bare metal showing on frame at steering gear mounting boss(??). Dealer warrantied an alignment to straighten the wheel. I'll touch up the bare metal next time I'm under the Jeep.

Jeep is now a pleasure to drive! :like:

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Parts are ordered. Hopefully should be going in within 2 weeks.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes just read your post. I’m green with envy of all the great trails you have over there in the states. It’s a massive country. In the uk we call it green laneing. It’s not a tenth of what you have. over here you can guarantee someone will jump out of a hedge row to moan at you being there and probably call the police. The vehicle of choice over here would be a land rover defender or discovery. They are great vehicles too. Although they rust like you wouldn’t believe noisy, thirsty and drop oil too. I don’t want to be disrespectful to any of you fellas but. The rubicon over here has a on the road ticket for £50k plus, a lot of money in my head I have a hard time squaring the fact that people would drive this expensive vehicle over as you say jeep killing terrain. Don’t get me wrong we do have off road competitions and the such but I think our budgets are a little more conservative. Most spares come from scrap yards and work is done by the owner. Also if I put all this after market stuff on, it would void any warranty that I had. I intend to drive it soon on the continent of Europe and some of these countries wouldn’t let it off the boat if it looked anything more than standard. It’s interesting to hear of all your problems with the JL and perhaps I may have some off them in the future but so far touch wood it’s been great. My favourite YouTube channels is cheeperjeeper and epic family road trip. I think we come from the same mind set and maturity.
Not all of us respond as such. ME I am only here to get ideas for a mild build. I am a photographer wanting to get to areas I couldn't before. My 2018 JL Wrangler Sahara has been perfect for that. I've had it since new and have no MAJOR issues with it. This wandering steering was something I got used to but this last 5,000 mile road trip really highlighted how bad it could get in 98f temperatures. My dealer in TN has been fantastic. Glad you like your Wrangler JL. treat it right and it will treat you right. Good Luck and drive safe!

rdk5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep 392
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

My dealership ordered the new steering box and apparently they can only order 1 every 14 days lol But just glad I'm in queue to getting it fixed! I'll provide an update after its installed.
UPDATE 9/30/2020

Just got the steering box replaced and I can't express enough how big of a difference this made. Steering is much firmer than what it use to be. It's more responsive on the highway and doesn't tend to drift anymore.

Sponsored

jbrug141

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon Mojito, 2016 Dodge Charger SRT, 2007 Jeep JKU Sahara Rescue Green (SOLD)
The new steering box is def a noticeable improvement over even the AE steering box.
If you don't mind me asking but what dealer did the work? Im local and would like to go to a dealer that has done this TSB before. Thank you

BanditXray

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
DoD
On first visit the service rep had no idea what I was talking about and said he had not
heard of the TSB, I said it is ok I brought you a copy.
They diagnosed the Jeep to see if steering was loose and it was found to be as I had stated.
Parts were ordered and when they arrived the apointment for service was scheduled.
After repair all was well except the steering wheel was a few degrees off.
I returned and we drove around the dealership on flat ground and made small adjustments
until it was straight.
This was the first time they had done this TSB and I feel they did a excellent job.
The Jeep drives amazing now.
I can concentrate on driving now instead of just concentrating on steering.
No more butt pucker moments on the freeway (from steering wandering anyways).

CLOSE VIEW.jpg

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
So I talked to my service guy at my dealership a month ago...no problems there, I have an appointment next Friday to hopefully get it done. The reason I say hopefully is because they are having a problem getting the bolt. Talked to the service guy and he said the steering box is in but they are waiting on the bolt? It seems every part of this is being rationed to dealers. So I say again Hopefully next week I'll be typing that I am among the happy Jeepers that do not have to constantly correct my steering to and fro work on my lengthy commute everyday!

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I called the service representative yesterday about the TSB. He said bring it in Monday and he will start the paperwork. I have had really good luck with the dealership. I will post what happens.

DaveO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Punk'n Metallic
UPDATE: had my steering replaced Tuesday this past week. Drove a 300 mile highway round trip and it was great. Still drives like a truck/Jeep, but is 1000x better than what it was. Steering is much more responsive and doesnt wander on the highway. Drove it around town today and noticed it was 1000x better just in local traffic, too.

Sponsored

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
UPDATE: had my steering replaced Tuesday this past week. Drove a 300 mile highway round trip and it was great. Still drives like a truck/Jeep, but is 1000x better than what it was. Steering is much more responsive and doesnt wander on the highway. Drove it around town today and noticed it was 1000x better just in local traffic, too.
Any of the reported "notchiness" for you?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called the service representative yesterday about the TSB. He said bring it in Monday and he will start the paperwork. I have had really good luck with the dealership. I will post what happens.
According to the dealership the TSB does NOT apply for the diesel Rubicon. The service writer said that the steel steering box will not fit. Anyone else have this issue.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The service writer said that he was unable to get the steel steering box. When he tried the system bounced it back. I trust his word on this. Seems rev b screwed me.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine done this morning.

For the short drive that I did coming back home, all I can say is WOW !

Here’s my comments on theTSB outcome:

o It feels tighter.
o It requires a bit more force to turn.
o It drives straight...
o I have about 1/2 inch of play when I wiggle the steering.
Got mine done today!!! So amazing the difference it has made

DITTO for:
o It feels tighter.
o It requires a bit more force to turn.
o It drives straight...

For me...there is no inch of play...as there is no wiggling to be had lol! Mine feels like it's cemented when I rest my hand on it. It turns but I have to put some effort...but it feels stable. I'm sure I'll get used it like I got used to the loose steering.
Sponsored