Jas666

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler sahara 2019
I had mine done this morning.

For the short drive that I did coming back home, all I can say is WOW !

Here’s my comments on theTSB outcome:

o It feels tighter.
o It requires a bit more force to turn.
o I have about 1/2 inch of play when I wiggle the steering.
o It drives straight... I no longer need to use the skills that I acquired in the late 70’s to go straight... It stays between the white lines on his own !

Has far as my experience with my dealer (they know me very well and I have a very good relationship which them), I brought a copy of the TSB to see the service manager. He said that it was clear to him that if the customer complains about Wandering or Pulling, they had to perform the repair. He took the TSB number down, he said that he was sure that I did not have any error code and that he would order the parts and check the code when performing the TSB. I only had one appointment to replace the steering gear.

I’m happy, it drives like a new Wrangler . Thanks Jeep/FCA !

Good luck to all of you that have the steering issue...There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Here’s a copy of my receipt, sorry it’s in French as I’m from Quebec !

2FB5DED9-3C1C-4E8E-A2FC-7E6EFC291E87.jpeg
I just got out the dealer too after having the tsb done. I'm from quebec too. Was a pain to have it done and get the dealer to get the steering wheel aligned properly after the work. Didnt drive it enough to get a feel for it. Looks better than it was but now I have like a clunking noise when i turn my steering wheel slightly. Anyone has this noise. Its like the steering gears have a play in them. Maybe it comes from the drag link but hard to pinpoint the noise.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I just got out the dealer too after having the tsb done. I'm from quebec too. Was a pain to have it done and get the dealer to get the steering wheel aligned properly after the work. Didnt drive it enough to get a feel for it. Looks better than it was but now I have like a clunking noise when i turn my steering wheel slightly. Anyone has this noise. Its like the steering gears have a play in them. Maybe it comes from the drag link but hard to pinpoint the noise.
They probably had to remove your trackbar (at least one end).. Might want to check the torque. Sounds like a trackbar noise.

Jas666

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler sahara 2019
They probably had to remove your trackbar (at least one end).. Might want to check the torque. Sounds like a trackbar noise.
I had my wife turn the steering wheel slightly and it really seems to be coming from the steering box. I told the dealer and they said maybe you feel more the gears in this one. Probably a crap excuse but ill give it a shot for a few days and see how it goes.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Update on the new steering box after a few hundred miles. It’s incredible the change! I cannot say how much is the box, and how much is the software, but I feel it’s definitely both. I originally said it wasn’t as good as my wife’s RAV4., but I was wrong. It’s as good as my wife’s RAV4.

I drove it for almost 15k before it got fixed, and I’d gotten used to its bad habits. If you’re used to “making corrections“ every time the crown of the road changes, or a pull to one side, or in my case, some times pulled right and some times to the left, like I was, get ready to re-learn how to drive your JL.

When I first drove home after the TSB, it was different and still felt a little twitchy, but much better. Now after a few hundred miles I realize the “twitchy” was me still trying to make small corrections that didn’t need made. If I hold the wheel straight it goes straight! I know what a concept.

Before as the crown changed it would pull to the low side and I’d have to take up the slop in the steering and back and forth it went. Now I can still feel the Jeep wants to go to the low side, but it doesn’t. When the highway leans side to side I can just hold the wheel straight and straight I go. It’s a new vehicle for sure.

Sorry for being long winded.

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had to get FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care help after the first dealer refused to do the work on the tsb. 1-800-465-2001 is their phone number. JeepCares helped me too, by giving me the link.

Suggestion: check your power steering reservoir too. See if there is enough fluid in there. They should have bled the system to get air out. Engine running, Jeep stopped....turn full left, full right and do this a bunch of times. If you have someone with you, take the top off the reservoir and watch for bubbles coming up through the fluid.

Hope this helps.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I had my wife turn the steering wheel slightly and it really seems to be coming from the steering box. I told the dealer and they said maybe you feel more the gears in this one. Probably a crap excuse but ill give it a shot for a few days and see how it goes.
Check the pitman arm nut is where I’d look first then the 4 bolts holding the gearbox to the frame.

LizardBoy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2019 2.0L
Took only one day to install. I didn't have much of a problem with the steering, but it did wander and had the dreaded dead spot, although only about an inch. It is now like having a new Jeep! Absolutely no dead spot, perfect tracking, smooth steering.

Jas666

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler sahara 2019
Check the pitman arm nut is where I’d look first then the 4 bolts holding the gearbox to the frame.
I did and everything is spec tight. I am trying to figure it out. I think its coming from the steering shaft where it bolts on to the steering box. Looks like there a very small loose/play.
Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: Did TSB 08-074-20 Fix Your Steering Issues? 20200919_135919

Attachments

Last edited:

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
Just wanted to give an update on my mission to getting this fixed. The dealer "Now Cape Coral Jeep" forced me to go back to the stock steering stabilizer so that they could perform the recall. This was they only way they would even consider doing the steering box. They ended up charging me about 170 to remove the aftermarket stabilizer and they went ahead and installed the new factory stabilizer. I was told i had to drive it and then call back to let them know that that did not resolve the issue so that they could order the steering box. Its insane how many hoops i had to jump through just to get this done. now until then, my jeep drives even worse than before with this new factory stabilizer. But..... i guess i should just be grateful that im finally on the right path. I will update once the part comes in. BTW...i ended up calling Chrysler Jeep customer service and they agreed to reimburse me the 170 to remove the aftermarket stabilizer.

Sponsored

gridsquares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@JeepCares

Tried getting a dealership to take a look at mine. None of the dealerships around Denver ever answer their phones and the web service appointment request systems have no options for custom services (or any option other than oil/filter change). I arrived in person today with the TSB in-hand and was told it’d require a tech to first diagnose, reasonably so, but the catch is if they diagnose it and it’s not an issue they would charge me a fee-ridiculous! They also said they had no availabilities and I’m already within 100 miles of breaking 36k. Great!

I suppose I’m stuck hoping my Synergy sector shaft brace, track bar, drag link and tie rod can disguise my slight pull when the Jeep heats up. The three prime suspects are Jeep’s steering box, plastic insert ball joints (bc Dana thought that was a good idea) and the replacement steering stabilizer. Who even knows if the replacement would be installed for free with my sector shaft brace in place...

This persistent issue has reoccurred since day one of ownership. Love my early 2018 lemon, but ridiculous the hoops you have to jump through to get anything accomplished.

Hey FCA, can I open an LLC and get my parts?? Trust me, I know how to service my vehicle better than these technicians. Why’d it take you two years to post a bulletin identifying oil overfilling?

eder214

First Name
Eder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 Rubicon the steering wheel has about an inch of play. Would this TSB help with this? Any luck for anyone that has over 36k miles getting it down by the dealership.?

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I have an aftermarket spacer lift, track bar, and sway bar links + 35s. Do you think I will get some love on this TSB with my dealer?

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
I have an aftermarket spacer lift, track bar, and sway bar links + 35s. Do you think I will get some love on this TSB with my dealer?
Who knows! It seems to be luck of the draw. I would say give it a shot! Let us know how it turns out.
Sponsored