Is the steering gear supposed to move when rocking the wheel

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Wandering is completely gone in mine and it runs straight and true down the road even on 35" KM3's. The updated box is fantastic. Worth the hassle of getting it done.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @JeepCares any chance of this fix getting done on a 46K mile jeep? Local dealer says not covered under warranty.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
The update fixed the issue. I now have "heavier" steering which is obviously software and the dead spot is gone. The jeep tracks exactly where i point the steering wheel and when I hit the brakes it doesn't dive in a random direction, it dives right where I have the steering wheel pointed. Also the steering wheel returns to center when I turn. driving next to barriers and 18 wheelers isn't a guessing game anymore. I thought I would be really happy with it but it's kind of anticlimactic because well... yay it drives like a jeep now and wow big surprise I knew what I was talking about when I said that the steering was bad.

Sponsored

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

Let’s see how many of us got the new steering box and what is the outcome.

I’m going at the dealer Monday morning to get the new steering box.

Thanks,
Daniel
Just got mine back today. Totally different vehicle. I have near ZERO play. It doesn't pull one way or the other. In fact got on a straight piece of highway and set cruise at 80 didn't touch the wheel for a solid mile. ABSOFREAKINLUTELY the best thing for a JL. I just got back from a 5000 mile trip if it drove this good during that trip I'd still be on vacation!! Yes it made that big of a difference in my 2018 JLU Sahara.

JL_Betty

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I got my new steering box around 2500km or 1500 miles. It did help a bit but I never had such poor steering in the first place. Maybe loose 2" to each side on the steering wheel with the oe box, now with 1" of play on the new box. I took advantage as soon as I got word of the bulletin and my dealer was fantastic about it. I showed them the bulletin and asked it be rectified before I put my lift kit on so it wouldn't be an issue down the road.

JL_Betty

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
In regards to my last post, the steering play, my user name and profile photo, it pretty much sum up why our new JL got the name Betty. She handles like an old broken shopping cart.

Sponsored

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
So you guys are out here rubbing salt in our wounds since many of us get completely denied the fix! LOL. I wish i could join the happy steering club.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So you guys are out here rubbing salt in our wounds since many of us get completely denied the fix! LOL. I wish i could join the happy steering club.
Ivan, don't give up. Try another dealer or get @JeepCares involved.
Got mine back yesterday, nice change for sure, my steering was decent except on long hot drives, feels tighter w/ virtually no slop in the wheel now.

Only problem was they only snugged down the steering box bolts, had to torque them to 99ft lbs as they were probably in the 40 range :headbang:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to locate the new steering box kit (with bolts) on the moparts site. It's $570. You can always buy and install it yourself, or your local dealer can install it.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I'm getting the new box on Monday. I have an early build JLU and the steering never has been awful and improved when i went from the OEM sport tires to 33" cepeks. i think i've just gotten used to it but the steering wheel is always off center when trying to drive straight in one direction or the other depending on the crown of the road. the steering pump TSB definitely over-boosted the assist. hoping the new box doesn't move in the wrong direction but feel like i should go ahead and get it if it's out there. 2.5" lift also being installed later next week so don't want to get in a situation where the dealer claims it's the lift causing issues.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey @JeepCares any chance of this fix getting done on a 46K mile jeep? Local dealer says not covered under warranty.
Yes, please message us! We are happy to escalate a case for you.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored