Sponsored

POLL: Anyone buy a MOAB and later wish they bought a Rubicon?

Did you buy a MOAB and later wish you bought a Rubicon?

• Total voters

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I had five Jeeps.
Could have purchased either.
Bought what best suited my needs.
Moab.
Sponsored

Kbinspections

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Vehicle Showcase
We ordered a Moab and only have it for a few weeks, no regrets.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Being the second largest purchase most people commonly make, I'm guessing everyone put a good deal of thought into what they wanted before they bought.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
These threads are just getting dumb. People buy what they want and contrary to many owners beliefs not everyone has any use at all for a rubicon. I would love to get "mall crawler" in some fashion for a license plate but don't want to pay the extra yearly fees.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So get a decal and put it on the rear hatch. Same idea, no annual fee.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Nope!! I could have bought either one, I went with the Moab for many reasons.

Mainly the nicer interior and blacked out exterior, plus the Auto 4WD system. For those of us in the snow belt it makes perfect sense. Plus I got all the exterior Rubicon bits like hood / bumper / nicer looking wheels. I'm putting ARB Air lockers on mine next month so I'll have a better Rubicon for my needs. I'm never going "rock crawling" and I'd wager that most Rubicon buyers don't either.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Being the second largest purchase most people commonly make, I'm guessing everyone put a good deal of thought into what they wanted before they bought.
I would agree with you regarding the folks on this board.

I would disagree with you regarding large populations of the public. Many “just buy what they think that they fancy” without much research. Nothing inherently wrong with that...... but t]much different than my approach.

Sponsored

OP
OP

deweysjeep

First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
OP - why the poll? are you trying to decide and dont want to regret the decision? Just get what you want and wheel the heck out of it, or daily drive or mall crawl it. Doesn't matter - tons of reasons to go either way. I like them both as well, but MOAB just worked better for us.
Yes, I like them both and don't want to regret the purchase and I agree 100% that everyone should just get what they want. With all the posts expressing a very strong opinion about how the Rubicon is the only real choice, I was just curious if any Moab owners actually regretted their purchase.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
You'd think... ours was dangerously close to being considered an impulse purchase. We needed to get another vehicle and wranglers weren't even under consideration. But it was always on my bucket list and thought we'd give it a shot. Looked at Rubicons a few years back but was just too much of a stretch back then. Didn't even know there was a new version out and that both were for sale side by side. Test drove a JL Rubicon (still had no idea it was 'different') in Punk'n and was love at first drive. Took her home that night and it's been a love affair ever since.

That being said, and to keep this relatively on topic, if they'd had a MOAB in Punk'n on the lot... the choice would have been more difficult. Though I'd probably still have gone with the Rubicon.

Reactions: TMP

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Yes, I like them both and don't want to regret the purchase and I agree 100% that everyone should just get what they want. With all the posts expressing a very strong opinion about how the Rubicon is the only real choice, I was just curious if any Moab owners actually regretted their purchase.
I have what I believe is the first Moab in Ohio (took possession Sept 13), and have driven it over 8,000 miles. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. While I recognize that there is a marginal sacrifice in offroad performance vs a Rubicon, I would argue the biggest difference would be on desert rock crawling. In the offroad conditions we get around here (mud, smaller rocks, water, etc), the difference is less. I've had it offroad in both southern Ohio and Daniel Boone NP, and had no problem staying up with Rubicons and other Jeeps.

This is my daily driver, so it was important to me to have certain creature comforts (leather seats, heated seats, upgraded sound system, etc), and the Full Time 4WD is a nice addition for winter driving. I have absolutely nothing against the Rubicon, and if I lived in Utah or eastern California I'd probably own one. But as an Ohioan who is also using this Jeep for daily driving, the Moab checked every box for what I need. Kudos to you for doing your research before purchasing.

acslater4eva

First Name
cheyne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JL
Occupation
Medical
Only thing I want from the MOAB is those rock rails

Does the MOAB have Dana 44?

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bought a used Rubicon that came from the sales manager. He wishes he had not traded it in for a MOAB
Sponsored