Sponsored

Poll addiction! Have you "downgraded"?

For folks that have bought previous jeeps: On buying your latest Jeep, did you buy a Rubicon?

• Total voters

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my drunken-stupor question of the day.

I'm noticing more and more jeepers (that have had previous jeeps) weren't always Rubicon owners. My first jeep was an 2004 LJ, then 3 Rubicons later I'm in the JL.

How many of you have 'downgraded'. Please only answer if you've bought a jeep before this one.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
While this is my first Jeep, the ones I considered buying before were a Cherokee, Patriot, Commander and a JKU Sport. If I had bought one of those I still would have considered it an upgrade even with the Sahara. :giggle:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My previous was an 04 TJ Sahara. But since they do not offer a 2 door Sahara JL, I opted for the Sport S. A Rubicon is overkill for my needs.

omahaknight

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
First Wrangler was a 04 Sport with a manual tranny. Traded that in in 2012 for a 13 Wrangler Sport 2dr with a manual tranny. Just recently traded in my 13 for a 18 Sahara 4dr automatic. Guess you can say I upgraded.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Here's my drunken-stupor question of the day.

I'm noticing more and more jeepers (that have had previous jeeps) weren't always Rubicon owners. My first jeep was an 2004 LJ, then 3 Rubicons later I'm in the JL.

How many of you have 'downgraded'. Please only answer if you've bought a jeep before this one.
Forget the question. You are posting drunken questions at 9:10am? You may want to start revisiting some of your life choices :)

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Forget the question. You are posting drunken questions at 9:10am? You may want to start revisiting some of your life choices :)
Depends on if he's in Ireland right now... :giggle:

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Ive had several variations of Jeeps but every wrangler has been a Rubicon. I try to be strategic when buying vehicles, buying the package the best suits me. For instance, Competition package in the M3s Ive owned as I would use the car as such. Rubicons have more the features that suit my needs more so than a sport. Also, resale is better which is another driving force, even though vehicles in general are shit investments, Id still like to get a decent return after my use.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I previously owned multiple Sports. I would modify them heavily to the tune of 20k+. The Sports and Rubicons used to look the same and I was going to modify it anyway so it was a no brainer.

With the JL, I prefer the hood and fenders. With the 8 speed transmission, 4.10 gears is deep enough, the axles are stronger than previous Rubicon axles, and it comes with a big brake kit. These are all things I would have to add to a Sport so the Rubicon is now a no brainer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My previous vehicles were a beat up TJ missing half of the interior, and a sport JKU. Now having a well paying job and the freedom to choose, I ordered my JLUR exactly how I wanted it. Best vehicle I’ve ever been in.

Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
I had a JK Sport (base with crank window and all) and moved to a JLU Sahara. No Rubicon for me, but it was a massive upgrade.

I do not have any need for a Rubicon and wanted the Selec-Trac transfer case. Had it been available on the Rubi, not sure which I would have taken (assuming the price difference would have been minimal).

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Went from a 2014 Sport S JKU to a 2019 Sport S JLU. The interior and 8 speed certainly made this an upgrade.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My first was an ‘06 SE (remember that trim?) that I kept for six years. Then a ‘94 YJ. Now a JLR. So definitely an upgrade on this jeep.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

My first jeep was a built CJ5 (V8 engine swap, 16 (yup!) forward gears...and plenty other good stuff). Second jeep is (I still own it) a 1944 MB, stock except for wheels/tires, roll cage, and a few other things. So...is my new JL Sport S an upgrade or a downgrade...kinda hard to tell, 'cause all three are so very different!

But I will say my JL is an absolute pleasure to drive, with comfort, capability, and modern features all rolled into one vehicle, so I'm gonna call that an upgrade! :like: :jk:
Sponsored