Sponsored

POLL: (3.6L Muffler Delete) to drone or not to drone...that is the question

Does your muffler delete cause your 3.6L JL/JLU to drone at any RPM range?

• Total voters

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
**Please cast your vote in the poll at the top of this thread**

There are many conflicting opinions and conflicting results on this forum about whether or not adding a muffler delete pipe to their 3.6L JL/JLU will cause their Jeep to drone especially at freeway speeds. I would like to survey the results of actual Jeep owners that have first hand experience with their muffler delete pipe installed on their 3.6L JL or JLU. I'm looking for results using the stock un-altered resonator with any brand of muffler delete pipe. (no additional mufflers/resonators/exhaust tips added)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLUR
AFE delete. If I recall it droned around the 2300-2500 rpm range. I put back on the stock muffler as it was too much for the wife and kids. Maybe when top off weather returns so will the delete.

OP
OP
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
AFE delete. If I recall it droned around the 2300-2500 rpm range. I put back on the stock muffler as it was too much for the wife and kids. Maybe when top off weather returns so will the delete.
Anonymous, if not done so, can you cast your vote in the poll at the top of this thread? Thanks!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely interested in seeing the results over time as this may be the first mod I do to my jeep. When I look at the muffler it annoys me... itā€™s just this giant ugly trash can looking thing that strikes me as a complete waste of space.

Sponsored

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Definitely interested in seeing the results over time as this may be the first mod I do to my jeep. When I look at the muffler it annoys me... itā€™s just this giant ugly trash can looking thing that strikes me as a complete waste of space.
Just take off the muffle and drive around for a little bit. Free to test. Thats what I did for 15mins or so.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vote cast. Tried the delete on my JLUR - too droney for me and I've had multiple loud muscle cars.

I've got a Borla Climber Touring on the way which should be much better.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Had the Dynomax Delete on my 2dr for over a year, has a bit of drone, not too harsh though. Recently got the Magnaflow Street-Series Dual pipe setup. I love the look of the new Magnaflow and excellent quality. I miss some of the volume at WOT w/ the Dynomax, but the overall tone throughout all rpms is very good w/ the Magnaflow, not too loud overall but just a good deeper tone, very easy to live with :) And even though the Magnaflow takes back some of that open space in the back it still tucks up pretty well IMO.

Jeep Wrangler JL POLL: (3.6L Muffler Delete) to drone or not to drone...that is the question IMG_0571.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL POLL: (3.6L Muffler Delete) to drone or not to drone...that is the question IMG_0572.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Vote cast. Tried the delete on my JLUR - too droney for me and I've had multiple loud muscle cars.

I've got a Borla Climber Touring on the way which should be much better.
Iā€™ve been super pleased with it, no drone and sounds better than a delete when you jump on the throttle.

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
I deleted resonator and installed Flowmaster. No drone, nice sound on harder accelerations.

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the DynoMax muffler delete on my 2021 JLUR 3.6 eTorque that I have been running for a few weeks and love it. There are lots of pros; easy install, cleans up the rear end, adds clearance, saves weight, more aggressive sound etc. It was louder in the cabin but I was planning on cargo area sound deadeners to address that. Overall I just thought it was fun.

This past weekend I took the Jeep out for a winter camping trip and that was my first extended highway trip (~6 hours round trip) since it was installed. In my Jeep (35's w/Tazer calibrated speedo) on the highway I was unfortunatley right in the 2300-2500 rpm drone range at 75 mph and 7th gear. Whenever I got into 8th and under about 2200rpm it was totally fine, but a downshift or slight incline and I'm back in 7th and drone city. The increased noise level forced us to raise our voices for normal conversation. And this was with a cargo area stuffed with tents, sleeping bags, duffle bags and camping gear so I am guessing sound deadener would only be slightly more effective at reducing panel noise.

I've started to research an alternative to see what I can find to replace the DynoMax...either that or force myself to drive either 65 or 80 on the expressway to get out of the drone RPM range.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the DynoMax muffler delete on my 2021 JLUR 3.6 eTorque that I have been running for a few weeks and love it. There are lots of pros; easy install, cleans up the rear end, adds clearance, saves weight, more aggressive sound etc. It was louder in the cabin but I was planning on cargo area sound deadeners to address that. Overall I just thought it was fun.

This past weekend I took the Jeep out for a winter camping trip and that was my first extended highway trip (~6 hours round trip) since it was installed. In my Jeep (35's w/Tazer calibrated speedo) on the highway I was unfortunatley right in the 2300-2500 rpm drone range at 75 mph and 7th gear. Whenever I got into 8th and under about 2200rpm it was totally fine, but a downshift or slight incline and I'm back in 7th and drone city. The increased noise level forced us to raise our voices for normal conversation. And this was with a cargo area stuffed with tents, sleeping bags, duffle bags and camping gear so I am guessing sound deadener would only be slightly more effective at reducing panel noise.

I've started to research an alternative to see what I can find to replace the DynoMax...either that or force myself to drive either 65 or 80 on the expressway to get out of the drone RPM range.
Donā€™t delete ā€œthe deleteā€ but add a cherry bomb glass pack. I have been running this for three years and really like it.

E504C740-1863-4844-B6C5-1C9AECC9756B.jpeg

D998F8BB-2E38-4F39-AFE9-572CCF59521A.jpeg

590999AB-857F-4E3C-8B4D-EEB4C313D5BF.jpeg

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I've liked it from day 1. I did think it was a little loud at first, but having driven with it for a number of months now, I barely notice. Tire and wind noise is more pronounced. I still love the sound, wouldn't call it drone at all.
Sponsored