Poll: 2 or 4 door Jeep

Which do you prefer 2 or 4 door Jeep?

• Total voters

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I am going to get a two door. It will be a second vehicle. If I had kids (or dogs), I would consider a four door. You need to take a look at your own situation. Do you have kids/dogs/need the cargo room? Do you live in a city where the shorter wheelbase makes for easier parking? Do you want the one that looks good? (just kidding there). I do think that compared to the 2 door, the 4 door needs a lift and larger tires to look better.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I'm curious on which jeep type is preferred more. It's not an easy choice and I've been going back and forth on what I want my new JL to be.
I have friends, gear, and a family. 4-door.

If I was single, no kids, no wife, no dogs, etc..... 4-door.

OP
OP

99 TJ WRANGLER

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I am going to get a two door. It will be a second vehicle. If I had kids (or dogs), I would consider a four door. You need to take a look at your own situation. Do you have kids/dogs/need the cargo room? Do you live in a city where the shorter wheelbase makes for easier parking? Do you want the one that looks good? (just kidding there). I do think that compared to the 2 door, the 4 door needs a lift and larger tires to look better.
I have a TJ on 35s now and I love it to death. If I got a 4 door JL I'd probably regear for 37s. I think the thing that's holding me back from getting the 2 door is all the room the JLU has. I want to do like week long camping trips in the future

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
I'm getting a 2-door because that's what I've always wanted and have never been much into the 4-door. I have two kids and a dog, so the practicality of the 2-door concerns me. But my wife will have a midsize SUV; she has an Acura RDX right now, which isn't very big, but when that lease is up she'll get something bigger like a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander. So on weekends when we're taking the kids places, we can all go in her car. At least that's my plan.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I have friends, gear, and a family. 4-door.

If I was single, no kids, no wife, no dogs, etc..... 4-door.
My wife rides in the front passenger seat, just fine. I’ve never thought to ask her to ride in the back seat, and she’s never asked. :)

(Assuming the last 4-door is a typo)

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
My wife rides in the front passenger seat, just fine. I’ve never thought to ask her to ride in the back seat, and she’s never asked. :)

(Assuming the last 4-door is a typo)
Haha, no it wasn't. The only 2-door vehicle I've ever owned was a 1986 K5 Blazer (may she RIP), but I just can't personally justify getting a 2-door vehicle anymore. I don't want to have to make the decision of: "well, it's either you guys or your luggage, make a choice."

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Haha, no it wasn't. The only 2-door vehicle I've ever owned was a 1986 K5 Blazer (may she RIP), but I just can't personally justify getting a 2-door vehicle anymore. I don't want to have to make the decision of: "well, it's either you guys or your luggage, make a choice."
That’s why so many 2 door Wrangler owners have other horeses in the stable.

If I have luggage and people, there’s no question I’m taking my full size SUV- it’s a V8 so it’ll be better suited to the task of a full load, plus it’s highway manners are limousine-like. I completely get what you’re saying, there.

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
2 door for the win.
Looks, maneuvering, fun factor all better imo, I understand that others feel they need the space of a 4 door, But they are friggen fugly if you ask me.
And the 2 door breakover. Nuff said:like:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Lol I like this comment! TBH i prefer the way the 4-doors look over the 2-doors (especially when modded) and just makes more sense for me.

But opinions about this are relative...

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a true wrangler, get a two door. If you need more space, get a truck or suv.
What makes a 2-door a "true wrangler"? Do the 4-door lack the capability of the 2-door? Just curious. I've seen people make comments like this and was wondering what facts are behind it.

I've actually seen the opposite where people say that 4-doors can be more capable than 2-doors. So trying to figure out what a "true wrangler" is based on the wheel-base (amount of doors). Enlighten me when you have a free moment? :movember:

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
What makes a 2-door a "true wrangler"? Do the 4-door lack the capability of the 2-door? Just curious. I've seen people make comments like this and was wondering what facts are behind it.

I've actually seen the opposite where people say that 4-doors can be more capable than 2-doors. So trying to figure out what a "true wrangler" is based on the wheel-base (amount of doors). Enlighten me when you have a free moment? :movember:
The four door was a marketing ploy, and a great one at that. It made the wrangler more versatile and appealing to a larger scale audience. All of a sudden, people who enjoyed their wrangler in their younger years who now have a family can once again enjoy the vehicle with their kids and luggage in tow. However, would anyone for the amount of money that a loaded four door wrangler costs still buy one if you couldn’t take the top or doors off?

I also think the wrangler is appealing due to the “pack” Mindset.

In terms of performance, I guess it depends on what kind of 4-wheeling you do. In some situations, I imagine there could be an advantage of having the wheelbase of the four door. In most situations, I would say a two door would be my pick.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

I think what he meant was a “classic Wrangler” in the sense that those of us who are past a certain age indentify with a Wrangler of “only” 2 doors.

If Ford ever decided to build a 4 door Mustang, you can be sure there would be a group who only considered a 2 door Mustang to be the “real deal”. After decades of something looking a certain way, there are some dinosaurs who will always prefer the basic original design. Like me, for example.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I think what he meant was a “classic Wrangler” in the sense that those of us who are past a certain age indentify with a Wrangler of “only” 2 doors.

If Ford ever decided to build a 4 door Mustang, you can be sure there would be a group who only considered a 2 door Mustang to be the “real deal”. After decades of something looking a certain way, there are some dinosaurs who will always prefer the basic original design. Like me, for example.
Makes sense! Thank you :)

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The four door was a marketing ploy, and a great one at that. It made the wrangler more versatile and appealing to a larger scale audience. All of a sudden, people who enjoyed their wrangler in their younger years who now have a family can once again enjoy the vehicle with their kids and luggage in tow. However, would anyone for the amount of money that a loaded four door wrangler costs still buy one if you couldn’t take the top or doors off?

I also think the wrangler is appealing due to the “pack” Mindset.

In terms of performance, I guess it depends on what kind of 4-wheeling you do. In some situations, I imagine there could be an advantage of having the wheelbase of the four door. In most situations, I would say a two door would be my pick.
Thanks for this! :giggle:

My dad has '83 CJ7 and i used to freakin love that thing! It has been out of commission for a long time lol, which I hope to resurrect soon! It had a totally different feel than my 4-door, and I wonder if it feels differently than even the 2-doors now. Hmm...just pondering. I think the only way I could have that nostalgia of my dad's jeep now, is try to make my JLU as similar to it as possible (manual locks/windows, old CB, etc), or just get his up and running again lol.

I'd like to post a thread about a build series for his Jeep one day; when we both have the time and money to get it going. Ehh...sorry for diverting from the topic a bit, just reminiscing... :involve:
Sponsored