Sponsored

Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub?

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
400 miles on the new girl and getting after it. Got the base stereo and planned upgrade.
When done I'll have
  • Polk Audio DB651 and DB351.
  • Metra 6.5" upgrade speaker pods.
  • Polk Audio D5000.5 5 channel amp
  • Audiocontrol EQX
  • Sub?

I did the same thing as my last car that works well for me, split the speaker wires behind the radio and tapped in a big loop of wire to under the seat where I plan to put my amp. For now it's effectively just long speaker wire running back and out to the speakers. Just cut it and run into/out from there. Already a HUGE improvement over stock, most people would be totally satisfied just upgrading the speakers.

The EQX has line level inputs, I had a separate LOC last time. Going to leave that out and go straight in and see how that works this time.

I've had 2 10" Kickers for years and years, my ideal is a single 10 or maybe 8" under the rear seat, but I want to be able to remove it really easily if I need to put the seats down for hauling stuff. Is that possible? Anyone seen or have a setup like that?

Sponsored

Last edited:

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
First off, my wife could not believe I bought a jeep for my dogs,so now that it out of the way,I was looking for a sub that gave my dogs(boxers) the most room. I looked at the ssv 10 inch sub and the kicker 10 in under seat, then I ran into the DS18 tailgate set up.
I keep my back seat down for my dogs,which knocked off the kicker. I had installed the mopar gap hider(no broken dog legs), with the gap hider, it left the ssv works out.So now I'm waiting for the DS18,will let you know how it turns out.

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
First off, my wife could not believe I bought a jeep for my dogs,so now that it out of the way,I was looking for a sub that gave my dogs(boxers) the most room. I looked at the ssv 10 inch sub and the kicker 10 in under seat, then I ran into the DS18 tailgate set up.
I keep my back seat down for my dogs,which knocked off the kicker. I had installed the mopar gap hider(no broken dog legs), with the gap hider, it left the ssv works out.So now I'm waiting for the DS18,will let you know how it turns out.
Awesome. Yeah I think a tailgate mounted one is probably a solid option otherwise. I'd love to find a way to get something under that seat just because it would keep the whole space exactly as it is obviously. Does that one mount straight to the tailgate, like you couldn't take it off quickly if you were making a Lowes trip and know you'd need the extra room?

Appreciate it, definitely post what you think!

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Awesome. Yeah I think a tailgate mounted one is probably a solid option otherwise. I'd love to find a way to get something under that seat just because it would keep the whole space exactly as it is obviously. Does that one mount straight to the tailgate, like you couldn't take it off quickly if you were making a Lowes trip and know you'd need the extra room?

Appreciate it, definitely post what you think!
Havn't got it yet, the web page for the instructions was not loading,so I'll let you know.
If you plan to keep your back seats up you might consider the Kicker 10 powered sub,I just didn't think I would get enough sound with the seats down.

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
Got my sound all running now, went a few days with only the soundbar lol. I neglected to read the details and see that whole "the headunit wants to see resistance from speakers" thing...

Its times like this I miss the ol' Radioshack, I would have popped over and grabbed 2 resistors for $1, had to get online and get like 10 of em for $6 two days later. Ah well, working now. Threw them at the end of the line, I probably would have nestled them behind the radio but they'll be fine here. Soldered and shrink tubed, gonna wire loom all this stuff and be good to go.

Now on to tuning this thing. Got it better but it always takes a while to really dial it in. These speakers are sounding WAY better with a little juice behind em. Next up, playing with that hidden sub setup.

IMG_20200622_173254.jpg

IMG_20200622_180705.jpg

Sponsored

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I personally think the best location for subs in a Wrangler are under the front seats but I'm biased. I like to still feel and hear some bass with the doors off. Our JLU that we did was tricky because of the vents under the seats, so we molded in extensions so we still get air flow to the back. Result is two Sundown 10" subs in .6 cu ft fiberglass enclosures powered by a 1500w amp.
Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? sub enclosures
Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? Sub Side View

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
I personally think the best location for subs in a Wrangler are under the front seats but I'm biased. I like to still feel and hear some bass with the doors off. Our JLU that we did was tricky because of the vents under the seats, so we molded in extensions so we still get air flow to the back. Result is two Sundown 10" subs in .6 cu ft fiberglass enclosures powered by a 1500w amp.
Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? Sub Side View
Oh man those look great! So where did you put the amp, in the back?

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Oh man those look great! So where did you put the amp, in the back?
Yes Unfortunately had to use the rear cubby for amps and DSP. It turned out well, but I'll always be nervous about moisture...thats why they are mounted at an angle and the rack is made from PVC...hoping if any water gets in there, it will drain off and through the plug at the bottom.
Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? Amp Rack 2

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
So I did it, built the smallest little box I ever have with the slim Infinity REF1000S and I'm amazed how it sounds. I was concerned with the .35ish cubic ft space I could squeeze out of it when the sub wants .5. Stuffed it with Polyfil and it sounds great! I can so easily fit it under the rear seat, and used the SpeakOn connector so just a second to pop the thing out to put the seats down.

Need to fiddle with the crossovers a little to dial it in but I'm TOTALLY happy, the first test was with the roof completely off which is probably the worst setup for a sub and everything is clear and balance. Stoked.

Have some carpet on the way, so its a nice bare mdf box for now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? 1593432916249

Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? 1593433374337

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
I haven't built a box in a while and was kinda rushing and realized I didn't caulk the thing! I always do to keep a good seal but just used normal wood glue and think I had a couple little leak spots. I had some clear Flex Seal (that stuff the guy makes a boat out of on commercials haha) from another project, just sprayed a few coats on all the seams and its air tight. Maybe expensive to buy just for it, but if you have some, worked awesome.

Sponsored

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
Grill cover came today, fits perfectly snug on the top speaker gasket and looks good. Really happy how this worked out, fits and looks and sounds great. I'm impressed the sound I got with such a small box. I picked up rock rails the other day and was a 5 second effort to unclip the cable and pop this l this out to put the seats down.

Standing outside you can't tell at all that I've got anything really so nice when I've got the roof off. Awesome.

Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? IMG_20200711_100658
Jeep Wrangler JL Polk Audio update log, and where should I put my sub? IMG_20200711_101255