Political Memes

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Ironically, "slow the testing down, please" would result in a higher deaths/cases.

Not if you stop labeling every single death as "Covid-19". Why is it that influenza suddenly has disappeared as a cause of death? Oh that's right, because hospitals are incentivized to have as many Covid cases and deaths as possible.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not if you stop labeling every single death as "Covid-19". Why is it that influenza suddenly has disappeared as a cause of death? Oh that's right, because hospitals are incentivized to have as many Covid cases and deaths as possible.
That's a completely separate issue that I currently don't have a firm stance on. I don't have enough information to argue what the hospitals are or are not doing. Additionally, neither Trump nor the interviewer were contesting the death numbers, they were arguing over which number to use as the divisor (cases vs. population).

Here's the irony that I was pointing out:
  • Increasing the testing will do absolutely nothing to the number of deaths, even if the death numbers are 100% false. (assuming nobody dies from getting a test)
  • Increasing the testing will increase the number of cases, unless all new tests are negative.
  • Trump previously stated that he wanted to slow the testing down.
  • This will make the deaths/cases a higher number.
  • Ironic, because Trump was using the low death/cases as his arguing point.

Truthfully I can't think of one good reason why we should slow testing down, but I look forward to the posts telling me otherwise.

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
That's a completely separate issue that I currently don't have a firm stance on. I don't have enough information to argue what the hospitals are or are not doing. Additionally, neither Trump nor the interviewer were contesting the death numbers, they were arguing over which number to use as the divisor (cases vs. population).

Here's the irony that I was pointing out:
  • Increasing the testing will do absolutely nothing to the number of deaths, even if the death numbers are 100% false. (assuming nobody dies from getting a test)
  • Increasing the testing will increase the number of cases, unless all new tests are negative.
  • Trump previously stated that he wanted to slow the testing down.
  • This will make the deaths/cases a higher number.
  • Ironic, because Trump was using the low death/cases as his arguing point.

Truthfully I can't think of one good reason why we should slow testing down, but I look forward to the posts telling me otherwise.
From a moral and ethical standpoint, I agree, but if you look back at the swine flu epidemic, we all together stopped testing and the public seemed to forget about it pretty quickly allowing things to "get back to normal".

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Why is it that influenza suddenly has disappeared as a cause of death? Oh that's right, because hospitals are incentivized to have as many Covid cases and deaths as possible.
I didn't realize we were still in flu season.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
From a moral and ethical standpoint, I agree, but if you look back at the swine flu epidemic, we all together stopped testing and the public seemed to forget about it pretty quickly allowing things to "get back to normal".
Unfortunately, you're probably correct. People are far too quick to forget.

I still don't think that means we should slow testing. If anything, we should have done more testing early on and maybe we could have avoided the quarantine. But no, instead we stuck our head in the sand and tried to fix it later by printing more money and giving it away... Yay inflation!

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Do as I say, not as I do

FB_IMG_1595710614811.jpg
These are all so disappointing.

3210.jpg

edit: This is a photo of Trump looking into a solar eclipse without eye protection. I wasn't intending to make it look like he was pointing at the previous post.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ironically, "slow the testing down, please" would result in a higher deaths/cases.

When you watch the entire interview, it's actually better/worse.

@13:02 "Because we are so much better at testing than any other country in the world, we show more cases"

Literally 15 seconds later: presents a chart showing deaths/cases (where an artificially high cases number would make for an artificially low death/cases ratio)

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
I thought this thread was for memes.
Screenshot_20200803-122025.png
Screenshot_20200804-114630.png

madscientist

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler WIllys 3.6 AT
Occupation
Geneticist & Microbiologist

You need to stop talking about things that you have no qualifications or intelligence to comment on.

Testing is completely independent of both # of cases and deaths. These are independent events. If you can grasp the basic concept then it should become obvious that when public health officials state the infection rate, they are actually only measuring the positive test rate. This may or may not (in the case of Covid-19) correlate closely with the actual number of people who have been infected. The IVTs currently being used are not terrific, in fact, they would not even be able to gain FDA approval for patient diagnosis. ALL of the tests used today are approved for RUO, that means they can be used for non-clinical studies only, NOT patient DX. It is scandalous that national public health policy is relying on bad tests generating bad data.

Thus "slow the testing down, please" is actually more insightful than probably originally intended. Bad data is just as good as no data.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You need to stop talking about things that you have no qualifications or intelligence to comment on.
Nah, I'm good. I will admit that I didn't pay close attention to the terms "cases" and "testing" as much as I should have. Oops. After all, Trump himself stated... well just look at the direct quote in the meme above.

Testing is completely independent of both # of cases and deaths. These are mutually independent events. If you can grasp the basic concept then it should become obvious that when public health officials state the infection rate, they are actually only measuring the positive test rate. This may or may not (in the case of Covid-19) correlate closely with the actual number of people who have been infected. The IVTs currently being used are not terrific, in fact, they would not even be able to gain FDA approval for patient diagnosis. ALL of the tests used today are approved for RUO, that means they can be used for non-clinical studies only, NOT patient DX. It is scandalous that national public health policy is relying on bad tests generating bad data.

Thus "slow the testing down, please" is actually more insightful than probably originally intended. Bad data is just as good as no data.
Thank you for spelling this out, it is the first reasonable explanation I have seen of why we might not want more testing.

However my point was not about testing. It was about how the video references "Cases" and "Death/Cases". Now I don't have the qualifications or intelligence to comment on this, seeing that I'm not a mathematician, but I'll do a simple example:

DeathCasesDeath/Cases Ratio
1425%
1333%
1250%

See how as the cases go down, the death/cases ratio goes up? If we have artificially high cases, then we have to also have artificially low deaths/cases ratio. But Trumps argument was that we have artificially high cases AND the lowest deaths/cases ratio. Within 15 seconds, he was literally arguing against his own claim.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
At veterans who are tired of this crap, we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.

Want socialized one payer health care? Any veteran who has dealt with the VA can tell you that it's not all it's cracked up to be. #seenit #screwedbyit

Want a global war machine that will go to foreign lands to secure your freedom? Disgruntled veterans can tell you that that's not how freedom works. An occupying force is the opposite of freedom. Ask our founding fathers.

FB_IMG_1596588383142.jpg

Morris 4x4 Center