Polish wheels?

rogerutley

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I have a Rubicon with the ‘Machine Wheels with Black Pockets’..have some marks on shiney(chrome?)..what does everyone use to clean/polish the wheels..Thank you
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Polish wheels? I thought they were made in China.

Seriously, If they're like most makers, the machined aluminum highlights of the ribs are clearcoated. There is no chrome. If the clearcoat is nicked, corrosion will start and propogate under the clearcoat. The solutions are never going to be the same as the new wheel.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
These?
Jeep Wrangler JL Polish wheels? 20210106_175258

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The only "fix" for corrosion under the clearcoat is to literally sand the clearcoat off, sand the corrosion out, polish to original finish (sometimes difficult to achieve) and clearcoat again. The original clearcoat is likely a powdercoat bake-on finish. Any rattle-can finish will never be anywhere near as durable.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to sandblast the wheels, I’d simply powder coat them satin black and be done; I wouldn’t worry about recreating the machined surfaces.

Some wheels deserve to be machined to bring out their attractive design. These ain’t those.

My 2 pesos.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I have a Rubicon with the ‘Machine Wheels with Black Pockets’..have some marks on shiney(chrome?)..what does everyone use to clean/polish the wheels..Thank you
IF the marks are not through the clearcoat, then just about any automotive wax/polish will help remove or lighten the scuffs. If it's through the clear as mentioned, over time they might start to pit and peel. My son's TJ Rubicon wheels had bubbly clearcoat, so we stripped them and sprayed them with Duplicolor wheel paint and clear. They look good enough for wheels that are probably going to get rashed up off-road.
Sponsored