First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

Another cool product from Poison Spyder. Turn those fake hood louvers to real ones!
Sponsored

StammesOpfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n 2.0 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So aside from the retaining ring on the inside partially finishing the edge of the insulation - is there any real benefit to this over just cutting holes in the insulation and keeping the stock vents?
You would also need to cut the bottom tray like section off the stock vents but I think stock looks better too.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Shouldn’t there be a collection point for the water to channel away from engine parts like the old Mopar hood scoops?
I was thinking this too. I'd like to see where the holes in the hood land over the engine. I read somewhere that those openings fall directly over the battery terminals (on the passenger side) and maybe the break booster (driver side) and there was concern about water standing on those parts and causing corrosion if you remove the tray and cut a hole in the insulation (especially for those of us in the rust belt), and also possible hood flutter. I'm curious if you've experienced either of these with this set up yet @RogueKJ ?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I like the idea, but agree with other posts that they don't look that great. It's especially annoying where the over-tightened bolts caused some distortion in the new ones.
Does anyone else think they were installed upside down in the video? I.e. the vents are facing forward, and should be facing back to draw hot air up and out of the top of the engine compartment.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So aside from the retaining ring on the inside partially finishing the edge of the insulation - is there any real benefit to this over just cutting holes in the insulation and keeping the stock vents?
Great question. These will hold up better than the plastic ones if you cut them out on the bottom. You also wont be able to get it clean finish if you just cut out the insulation to allow the fake ones to work. The heat will end up going up then disbursing between the insulation and the hood. You would be better to remove the insulation completely if you want to cut out the stock plastic ones to work. The design of the Poison Spyder ones are cut to work with the insulation and to allow the heat out more rapidly. I know the insulation is designed to help with noise, but I think it also helps to keep the hood paint protected overtime from cracking and peeling. This is just another option for people to consider. Plus, these wont get discolored and turn grey over time from the sun.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Shouldn’t there be a collection point for the water to channel away from engine parts like the old Mopar hood scoops?
I was thinking this too. I'd like to see where the holes in the hood land over the engine. I read somewhere that those openings fall directly over the battery terminals (on the passenger side) and maybe the break booster (driver side) and there was concern about water standing on those parts and causing corrosion if you remove the tray and cut a hole in the insulation (especially for those of us in the rust belt), and also possible hood flutter. I'm curious if you've experienced either of these with this set up yet @RogueKJ ?
There is a bit of controversy about these. I personally don't see any risk of damage from them. They have been around for year. This design is just new for the JL/JT. The engine bay gets wet when off-road anyways when going through high water crossings. The engine bay is designed to get wet. I know some people put die-electric grease over their battery connection if they are worried about it. Hood louvers have been around for years, Poison Syder has been the leader for hood louvers for the TJ and JKs with their design. They test their stuff over and over before releasing it also. I'll try to get some more solid facts and post a video on it. Maybe get the gopro under the hood and dump water over the hood to see how it enters. Also, no hood flutter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I like the idea, but agree with other posts that they don't look that great. It's especially annoying where the over-tightened bolts caused some distortion in the new ones.
Does anyone else think they were installed upside down in the video? I.e. the vents are facing forward, and should be facing back to draw hot air up and out of the top of the engine compartment.
There wasn't any distortion with the parts. They did look kinda bend when you only have a few bolts in, but once it is all on and slugged up, it is all flat.

Not sure what you mean by the vent direction. The openings face the windshield. It promotes the cool air to come in the radiator through the grill, then out the top. If it faced the other way, air would be pushing in to the engine bay from both directions. Creating more of a build up.

Zombie crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Comanche, 240sx, grand Cherokee
There wasn't any distortion with the parts. They did look kinda bend when you only have a few bolts in, but once it is all on and slugged up, it is all flat.

Not sure what you mean by the vent direction. The openings face the windshield. It promotes the cool air to come in the radiator through the grill, then out the top. If it faced the other way, air would be pushing in to the engine bay from both directions. Creating more of a build up.
Probably an optical illusion, if you dont watch the vid and just look at the thumbnail it looks like the openings are facing forward towards the grill.

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Please post an update on how it does in the rain. Id like to install these, but I live in South Florida, so I'm hesitant because of all the rain we get. Thank you.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Just like Zombie crawler said, must have been an optical illusion. In the video, it looked, to me, like the openings were facing front.
So I retract my original statement. Maybe I just need to see a daylight still photo.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
At least if you didnt like it you can return to stock with a new hood liner. Any chance you know the spec on the hardware? I hate it when they use silver HW on black products..
Sponsored