Sponsored

Poison Spyder Rubicon Hood Louver Install for the Jeep JL / JT

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So why would one do this?

Is anyone legitimately having problems with overheating?

They do have a sorta '70s Fall Guy kinda look to them

Yuuu tuch my Camaro and I'll KICK yerrr azzzz....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Please post an update on how it does in the rain. Id like to install these, but I live in South Florida, so I'm hesitant because of all the rain we get. Thank you.
Will do. I plan on making a follow up video. I been getting blown up about this video.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
At least if you didnt like it you can return to stock with a new hood liner. Any chance you know the spec on the hardware? I hate it when they use silver HW on black products..
I dont see any details on the hardware spec.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So why would one do this?

Is anyone legitimately having problems with overheating?

They do have a sorta '70s Fall Guy kinda look to them

Yuuu tuch my Camaro and I'll KICK yerrr azzzz....
For the people off-roading in the desert, it gets really hot. The loud jet engine fan is on non-stop. Especially for slow moving rock crawling. This helps a lot with that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So remove the insulation and cut the bottom tray of the OEM vents, dont see any problem with that idea
That is an option, JL Life Offroad did that in one of his videos. He really likes the outcome, you can ask him on his video comments. But, like I said earlier, these will hold up better than the plastic ones if you cut them out on the bottom. You also wont be able to get it clean finish if you just cut out the insulation to allow the fake ones to work. The heat will end up going up then disbursing between the insulation and the hood. You would be better to remove the insulation completely if you want to cut out the stock plastic ones to work. The design of the Poison Spyder ones are cut to work with the insulation and to allow the heat out more rapidly. I know the insulation is designed to help with noise, but I think it also helps to keep the hood paint protected overtime from cracking and peeling. This is just another option for people to consider. Plus, these wont get discolored and turn grey over time from the sun.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I don't understand why people are so worked up over water on the engine. I've been pressure washing engine bays for YEARS and never once had any problems. Besides cutting the insulation, these louvers actually look more closed off than the factory vents. And since they face backwards, you're going to get very little if any water intrusion when you're driving. Even when you're parked, I bet it has to be raining pretty good to actually get water under the hood. Engines are designed with water in mind. They can get wet, they just can't be submerged.

However, it would have been interesting to stick a thermometer under the hood before and after to see how much they help in different driving situations.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase

Another cool product from Poison Spyder. Turn those fake hood louvers to real ones!
Is there a post on the Sport/Sahara louver from PSC? I'm going to hopefully be installing it next week to my Sport S.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Is there a post on the Sport/Sahara louver from PSC? I'm going to hopefully be installing it next week to my Sport S.
I havnt seen anything for the Sport/Sahara version. It'll install similar to the JK versions I would think. Lots of videos on YouTube for the JK ones. Post some pictures here when you get it all done.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I havnt seen anything for the Sport/Sahara version. It'll install similar to the JK versions I would think. Lots of videos on YouTube for the JK ones. Post some pictures here when you get it all done.
Hopefully it goes well. Also ordering a decal to go on it eventually. Been jealous of your hood decal for awhile.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully it goes well. Also ordering a decal to go on it eventually. Been jealous of your hood decal for awhile.
upload_2020-4-30_18-56-2.png
upload_2020-4-30_18-58-32.png

Thanks! I got the decal from @pixeldecals . I sent them the JK version and they customized it. Poison Spyder wont have the JL hood decals for a while. @pixeldecals did an awesome job with mine. It wouldnt work with the Sport/ Sahara hood louver though. Here are some shots of Sport/ Sahara hood louver. It is right in the middle of the hood. The Rubicons have the louvers on the sides, so I added the decal on the power dome.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Poison Spyder Rubicon Hood Louver Install for the Jeep JL / JT upload_2020-4-30_18-58-32
Jeep Wrangler JL Poison Spyder Rubicon Hood Louver Install for the Jeep JL / JT upload_2020-4-30_18-58-32

Thanks! I got the decal from @pixeldecals . I sent them the JK version and they customized it. Poison Spyder wont have the JL hood decals for a while. @pixeldecals did an awesome job with mine. It wouldnt work with the Sport/ Sahara hood louver though. Here are some shots of Sport/ Sahara hood louver. It is right in the middle of the hood. The Rubicons have the louvers on the sides, so I added the decal on the power dome.
Good to see another Sport/Sahara did the louver install.
I have been questioned recently about swapping to nutserts rather than the screw and nuts. What do y'all think? I was thinking the M3 for size unless there is a nutsert that is smaller, and would the nutserts have to be aluminum to avoid the paint chipping issue in the long run?
Sponsored