First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Fair enough. I just slways feel its like buying a Ferrari just to have it in the garage, a bit of a shame, but to each their own. Enjoy the Rubicon
All the reasons listed above, plus:
  • Rubicon's wider track makes for more stability, even on the street.
  • Not all options are available on a Sport (Nav, ACC, color-matched top, just to name a few)
  • A large percentage of us buy these vehicles not just for capabilities, but also for the way they look, and some think the Rubicon looks best.
Sponsored

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
I guess it comes down to how high the shorter ppl are willing to hike their leg or use the grab handle also. I had a lifted JKU with 34's and the Rock Hard 4x4 rails angled up, which are higher than most platform steps. She and my kids got in just fine with those.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I haven't seen one, but a few weeks ago I did see something of interest. I was at Grapevine ChryslerDodgeJeep stealership drooling over a couple of $75k Rubis, one of those options I saw was a retractable steps. The cost for that feature was approximately $2K. I don't know who the manufacturer is.
There are three manufacture that offer retractable steps, however two of them are not designed to take impacts or be submerged, the third is Rock-Sliders, You are looking at $2000-$2500 and if you plan to run with the doors off they are not so slick as they are then not automatic. Then there is the issue of a electric mechanical that is unprotected and subject to impact and water so the life could be limited and warranties are not that long.

The other down side (al least to me) is the electric steps have no running board to block rocks, water and road grime thrown by the tires so you will be definitely more prone to rock chips and more frequent washing assuming you like your rig clean for the road. These were the reasons I personally decided against them.

I should also mentioned the flat single step running board especially the once that are mounted close to the sill are extremely awkward as they are first off high and once you are on them getting into the seat is difficult. The only benefit we found to say the stock Sahara boards is it did help my wife getting out of the jeep however getting in they were no help at all. and myself at 6' could not use them at all. The Two step systems (drop Step) makes getting in very fluid and natural even for me at 6'.

Last edited:

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Fair enough. I just slways feel its like buying a Ferrari just to have it in the garage, a bit of a shame, but to each their own. Enjoy the Rubicon
The flip side of that question is why buy a jeep if it's not a Rubicon? Lol

Like a Moab, can you even enjoy Moab without lockers? Hmmm

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The flip side of that question is why buy a jeep if it's not a Rubicon? Lol

Like a Moab, can you even enjoy Moab without lockers? Hmmm
Pretty narrow minded... The Rubicon is heavier than the sport or Sahara so for flat towing the Rubicon is more of a challenge since most RV's are limited to 5K lbs, the Wrangle is the top choice for TOADS. I have the Limited Slip diff which provides me better overall performance than the Rubicon is many senarios (especially snow and wet environments), whereas the Rubi will kick my ass on the rocks. There are many reasons why one of the other it is all personal needs. We purchased as a TOAD first so weight was important, off road second use mostly service roads, exploring and mild trails, it is not daily driver, in three months have less than 250 miles on it. However when RV season kicks in here in a couple months that where our lies will be.

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Pretty narrow minded... The Rubicon is heavier than the sport or Sahara so for flat towing the Rubicon is more of a challenge since most RV's are limited to 5K lbs, the Wrangle is the top choice for TOADS. I have the Limited Slip diff which allow provides me better overall performance than the rubicon is many senarios (especially snow and wet environments), whereas the Rubi will kick my ass on the rocks. There are many reasons why one of the other it is all personal needs.
Pretty narrow minded... The Rubicon is heavier than the sport or Sahara so for flat towing the Rubicon is more of a challenge since most RV's are limited to 5K lbs, the Wrangle is the top choice for TOADS. I have the Limited Slip diff which allow provides me better overall performance than the rubicon is many senarios (especially snow and wet environments), whereas the Rubi will kick my ass on the rocks. There are many reasons why one of the other it is all personal needs.
By the posters logic I was replying to I could just ask why you bought a jeep just to tow it? Lol

The limited slip differential is cool and all, but it's still a clutch type diff and I certainly hope no one is buying a jeep for its on road safety capabilities.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
By the posters logic I was replying to I could just ask why you bought a jeep just to tow it? Lol

The limited slip differential is cool and all, but it's still a clutch type diff and I certainly hope no one is buying a jeep for its on road safety capabilities.

narrow... nuf said

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I just installed the Go Rhino D-6 dominators with drop step, My wide is also 5'2" and had issue getting in and out, in fact we have a Sahara that comes with a running board however they were still too high. The Go Rhino has a drop step so it gives her two steps to get in. The best part if y every do off road the Jeep the drop steps can be removed for clearance. These are the beast of bot worls meaning Daily driver and off road. Shold laso work for any medium to large dog.
Don't call her your wide, even if its a typo. She won't like that. Not one bit.

OP
OP

TDS911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks, all, for the links. Figured this topic had been discussed to death already, curious why my search terms didn't lead me to those threads.

Read through a ton of those posts and keep coming back to the Roam steps (honestly not 100% digging their logo cut into the side, though).

Anybody know their current lead time? Would make a nice Christmas gift for the dog (and the wife, hah).

TDS

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks, all, for the links. Figured this topic had been discussed to death already, curious why my search terms didn't lead me to those threads.
By default, the search function only searches the category you are in. You need to click the "more" button first, THEN it will search ALL threads. :)

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If at all possible you should find a wrangler with the single level running board or go to a dealer and try getting in and out of a Sahara that comes with the Mopar running board. As I mentioned we had the stock Sahara single level running board however we found that with them being so close to the door sill it was incredibly awkward to use. Most of the aftermarket running boards are going to be like the stock Sahara they are just too elevated and there is no fluid way to use them which is why we removed the Sahara running boards.

The Roam boards were at the top of our list originally however they are basically at the same level as the Mopar running boards in terms of positioning/elevation which is why we did not buy those as it would not have changed anything. If you think about it the single level steps are likely within 1-2" of the floor-board of the jeep interior so it does not really benefit that much because once you are on the step standing you are now way above the seat and have to contort to now get in. At 6' I could not use the board at all I had to always step over it. My 5'2" wife only found the benefit in getting out. When I took the stock running board off for two days waiting for our Go Rhino's she said it was actually easier without the one step boards than with.

Again stop by a dealer and try the stock running boards out, just to see how single level boards are, I do not recommend the Mopar board at all, they are junk.

What we discovered is for steps to be truly a benefit the step had to be several inches below the floorboard of the Jeep to allow for any benefit or fluid entry or departure from the Wrangler.

These were our findings through our search. For us the two step Running Boards were the best solution as that added 4" second lower step made entry and exit smooth and fluid with no contorting required.

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order

Read through a ton of those posts and keep coming back to the Roam steps (honestly not 100% digging their logo cut into the side, though).

Anybody know their current lead time? Would make a nice Christmas gift for the dog (and the wife, hah).

TDS
I do believe the body mounted ones are in stock. Unless you plan on banging the rocks on a regular basis then the body mount should work out great.

45rake

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Sting Gray, 15 Lamborghini Huracan, 11 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 15 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG, 66 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
I've been noticing people reporting that the ROAM rails showing a lot of rust. I really like the LOD rock rails. Very similar to the ROAM rails. I just don't like the price.

45rake

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Sting Gray, 15 Lamborghini Huracan, 11 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 15 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG, 66 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
I've been noticing people reporting that the ROAM rails showing a lot of rust. I really like the LOD rock rails. Very similar to the ROAM rails. I just don't like the price.
I like the LOD Destroyer rock rails

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That was another reason I went with Go Rhino they have a 5-year warranty on the finish/powdercoat that is the best out there,
Sponsored