JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
With eight years of EV experience I can say that PlugShare is the best APP for finding charging opportunities. Set up a free account, then use the filters to find only the type of connector (the 4xe takes an SAE J1772 type connector) and charge rate you want. Example, no need to "see" Tesla Superchargers if you are driving a Wrangler 4xe. In fact the Jeep Wrangler 4xe is already in their vehicle profiles so you can save that vehicle in your profile and it's range and other characteristics will be used in planning your trip.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I use charge point as a couple of those are at my work for free but I'll add this app to my android phone.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I have had all electric cars for about 5 year now, I have never used a public charger once!

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Thanks for putting the videos out. I subscribed to your Youtube. Look forward to seeing more.

I guess my question is it really worth using public chargers? Are any of them free or reduced? Around here they seem to run between 30-40 cents a kw. I have heard that some are cheaper but I don't see any around here. If my math is right that would be between about $4.50 and $6.00 a gallon of gas equivalent.

Edit I guess I should of Googled first. I do see some free ones kind of close. Probably too far for me to spend time to get to them but good to know they exist.

Sponsored

botond.kopacz

First Name
Botond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Plugshare is the best. Though worth combineing with ChargePoint, Volta, Evgo.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
I have had all electric cars for about 5 year now, I have never used a public charger once!
I've had one since 2016. It's pretty infrequent that I've used one. Though mine only had a 60 mile range so there were times that it came in handy. But 95% of the time, I just charged at home.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for putting the videos out. I subscribed to your Youtube. Look forward to seeing more.

I guess my question is it really worth using public chargers? Are any of them free or reduced? Around here they seem to run between 30-40 cents a kw. I have heard that some are cheaper but I don't see any around here. If my math is right that would be between about $4.50 and $6.00 a gallon of gas equivalent.

Edit I guess I should of Googled first. I do see some free ones kind of close. Probably too far for me to spend time to get to them but good to know they exist.
I think that depends on where you are. I live in southwest Ohio and a lot of the ones we have are free.

Sponsored

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
So if you only get 21miles per charge and it wont fast charge, what good does a public charging station do? I thought those were for real EV's, no?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
So if you only get 21miles per charge and it wont fast charge, what good does a public charging station do? I thought those were for real EV's, no?
You get a re-charge in a little over 2 hours. Most of them around here are at hotels or restaurants so you can top off overnight or while having dinner.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thereā€™s a difference between destination charging and DC Fast charging. EV owners donā€™t use destination chargers like we might use a gas station. Destination charging is like if you are going to the grocery store and thereā€™s a charger available so you plug in while your there. DC Fast Charging is more akin to the gas station model. Youā€™re on a trip and you need to get off the highway, charge up quick and get moving again. Itā€™s two different charging models.
Sponsored