Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

During today's 2018 Wrangler JL debut at the LA Auto Show, not only did we get to see JL Wrangler models that will be available within the next few months but we were also put on notice of a future model - a plug-in hybrid Wrangler!

Jeep CEO Michael Manley dropped this not-so-little tidbit while discussing the 3 power plants that the JL Wrangler will be offered with by 2019. The plug-in hybrid Wrangler is expected to join the lineup one year later - in 2020, fulfilling FCA's plan (revealed nearly 2 years ago) for four different Wrangler power plants.

While a PHEV Wrangler may have certain drawbacks (i.e. precludes longer off-road trips away from the electric grid), there's no denying the instant torque that electric motors can generate can be appealing for off-roading (or any roading for that matter).

You can catch Manley's announcement here:

Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
yes he did say "a full plug-in electric wrangler in 2020"...that does sound 100% electric to me. Maybe he skipped/forgot the word hybrid from his cheat sheet?

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
While a PHEV Wrangler may have certain drawbacks (i.e. precludes longer off-road trips away from the electric grid), there's no denying the instant torque that electric motors can generate can be appealing for off-roading (or any roading for that matter).
Is it going to be a Plug-in Hybrid, or is it going to be simply an Electric Vehicle (Chrysler drove a Wrangler EV to Capital Hill when it was begging for money)? A hybrid is blend of an electric motor and an ICE, and can continue to drive as long as the ICE has fuel.

big_3_arrives.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
There were a couple interviews just following the event (now on YouTube) that confirm it is a Plug-in Hybrid, not full electric. I thought I heard plug in electric only as well.

Sponsored

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
There were a couple interviews just following the event (now on YouTube) that confirm it is a Plug-in Hybrid, not full electric. I thought I heard plug in electric only as well.
Which Interviews do you mean? Can't find one.
Thanks

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It’ll probably offer a range of 15-30 miles— similar to X5 eperformance. Doubtful this will be used much for wheeling but I’d enjoy it for my short commute each day (no gas used) where I can plug in at night and take advantage of cheap after hours electricity.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
I was interested in a manual transmission turbocharged Wrangler but because that won’t be an option I am looking at the phev. If I have to use an automatic transmission I prefer an EV. I am looking forward to seeing what the specs are like.

I know this vehicle won’t be for sale for 2 years but maybe some specs will leak out.

I’m hoping they will improve on the tech in the Pacifica. I’m expecting at least 50 miles of EV range, 90 mph too speed in EV only, and a 30kw battery. I wonder if it’ll be paired with the Pentastar like the Pacifica or get a 4 cyl.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Yeah, 40 miles of electric range would be sweet, but I'll take 20 miles. The X5 plug-in has a 9 kWh battery and about 18 miles of range and the Pacifica (plug-in) hybrid has 16 kWh and 31 miles. Maybe the Wrangler plug-in would be somewhere in the middle. Pretty sweet for off-road. Maybe the Army would be interested in a version.

Sponsored

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotta hope they have some technical progress in next couple of years. Battery tech is rapidly improving.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Gotta hope they have some technical progress in next couple of years. Battery tech is rapidly improving.
Of the two, I want greater longevity over slight increase in capacity.

Plug-in range for most will be short in town commutes ~20miles where charging will become more ubiquitous, so to/from work will now need 50miles for most, especially with the charge at both ends. And for longer distances it becomes a bit less of an issue.

However, ever having to replace those large 10+KWhr batteries will be a big hit to the wallet. Likely negating much of the economical benefits, if the upfront cost doesn’t do that too.

However if a BEV Fiat 500 can have a 24KWhr battery, then I think a 15yr warrantied 20+KWhr Wrangler option in 2+ years time seems reasonable... or if not reasonable, then desireable....

... of course weight vs capacity is also an issue, but let’s pretend that’s not the case... ;)

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea they should be durable. At this point there's no excuses for having cheap batteries that don't last many cycles. Zero emissions and never pumping gas is an amazing luxury that has to be experienced to appreciate. I have a short commute so 50 mile range would last me a few days in between charges if I were commuting in it. I also drive with a lead foot so I typically get much less range/mpg than average.

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD
I don't get the what the big deal is about it. All my friends had electric Jeeps when we were kids!

EDIT: But seriously, Hybrid torque assist is awesome. Got a VW Jetta Hybrid, uses electric motor instant torque to more than compensate for turbo lag. If you've never driven it, it will surprise you. The mild hybrid is going to be cool, but real electric motor assist is much more fun. It will probably still have the 2.0T, rather than a smaller one for a range extender.

Also, from tip owning a little turbo like that for a couple hundred thousand miles: you may be tempted to not put 91 in it. Don't. Not unless you really like knock. Most pumps are 93, and more costly. Find a place like a Sunoco that has 91 and save the 10-20 cents.

Another edit: If I ever own an all-electric Wrangler, you all know what my custom horn is going to be. I can't be the first one who's thought of it.

Last edited:

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
So how would a PHEV be laid out?

Electric-only motor in the back for the rear wheels? You could get rid of the driveshaft and the transfer case and have some room for batteries.

And a gas engine up front to power the front wheels. (with generator to power the back wheels when the batts are depleted)
Sponsored