Plug-In Hybrid Electric Wrangler Still on Track for 2020 Release Date

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Yep, if I had solar, I'd definitely get the PHEV:like:... And when I say repaid in 22 years, I mean if I take my current power bill of $175(avg) and divide that into the $45k. After 22yrs, the system would be producing "free" energy.
Ok I see where you are coming from. You don't want solar if the State is not paying you for the power. Unless you want to be "off grid". I want the money!!
We got 30% of the bill paid from the Fed's, State per kwh made then local PUD zero's out your meter. It's like a triple dip repay on the solar system.
Advertisement

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Ok I see where you are coming from. You don't want solar if the State is not paying you for the power. Unless you want to be "off grid". I want the money!!
We got 30% of the bill paid from the Fed's, State per kwh made then local PUD zero's out your meter. It's like a triple dip repay on the solar system.
....that I'm paying for

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

DevilDog305

First Name
Christian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yes....because everyone can afford solar.

Curious, how much did your solar panels cost you?
Well I’m assuming if you can afford a 50k vehicle then you can afford a solar array which range in price from 10k on up. Plus you get 30% back in tax credit. Even if I paid the full price you would make your money back in 5/7 years. Solar panels have come down on price significantly, under $1/watt.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Well I’m assuming if you can afford a 50k vehicle then you can afford a solar array which range in price from 10k on up. Plus you get 30% back in tax credit. Even if I paid the full price you would make your money back in 5/7 years. Solar panels have come down on price significantly, under $1/watt.
FWIW $75,000

....wait 7 years until start saving a few cents? No thanks

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
If your state does not have net metering ( paid for solar kwh ) It will take a lot longer to pay back for sure.

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Bitching about solar paying you back is like bitching about Wrangler MPG... COMPLETELY missing the point.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Bitching about solar paying you back is like bitching about Wrangler MPG... COMPLETELY missing the point.
Not even close

I dont pay for the pump and the gas.

Why pay for the panel and the electric?

Someone's elevator obviously doesnt go all the way to the top:asshat:

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Not even close

I dont pay for the pump and the gas.

Why pay for the panel and the electric?

Someone's elevator obviously doesnt go all the way to the top:asshat:
Does it hurt to be this dense?

prototyp3

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW i3 REX, 2019 Wrangler Sport
I'd love to see them do a hybrid Wrangler like the BMW i3 REX using some of the software hacks we use, along with a larger fuel tank of course.

The motors driving the vehicle are all electric, with a small ICE generator to charge the battery pack. That gives you the torque benefits at all times. You can also easily do your daily commute on electric power only. If you want to do long excursions off grid, you bring your gas cans and keep feeding that onboard generator.

Having a large battery pack to power camp gear through the night without generator noise or fumes would be pretty convenient as well.

Bren

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
I'd love to see them do a hybrid Wrangler like the BMW i3 REX using some of the software hacks we use, along with a larger fuel tank of course.

The motors driving the vehicle are all electric, with a small ICE generator to charge the battery pack. That gives you the torque benefits at all times. You can also easily do your daily commute on electric power only. If you want to do long excursions off grid, you bring your gas cans and keep feeding that onboard generator.

Having a large battery pack to power camp gear through the night without generator noise or fumes would be pretty convenient as well.
In theory I agree wholeheartedly, but that setup only works because the i3 is so light. That car has SO MUCH clever engineering to make it light enough for a 2-stroke motor to feed the battery, and even then it gets itself into trouble by running out of buffer when the car is dealing with a perfect storm of sustained incline + cold weather + highway speed. Imagine stuffing 33" tires underneath it. the whole model sort of blows up. You'd need a bigger motor, which means more weight, which means less range, which means now we're right back to the PHEV model.

My dream is to have an all-electric Rubicon with a roof that folds out solar panels. Tesla is teasing us with that concept for Cybertruck, claiming 15-40 extra miles of range per day. Would be amazing on a Wrangler as well. Maybe a next-gen aftermarket mod. Basically I want Cybertruck specs in a Wrangler body. 500 miles of range, 14k lb towing, and the solar option.

Advertisement

WheelsASAP

Advertisement