Plug-In Hybrid Electric Wrangler Still on Track for 2020 Release Date

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
If Jeep ever made something along the lines of what I proposed I'd buy one.
You would need to buy FCJ itself. I can't even get a base 2 door Rubicon build out of them without accepting all the nonsense add-ons THEY want to sell. Out of the market for now. Will see what FMC offers if they ever get off their ... regarding the Bronco.
Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
You would need to buy FCJ itself. I can't even get a base 2 door Rubicon build out of them without accepting all the nonsense add-ons THEY want to sell. Out of the market for now. Will see what FMC offers if they ever get off their ... regarding the Bronco.
I guess I'm getting old so a loaded Rubicon would work for me but fully understand what you say. All car manufacturers load up their hot selling rigs with expensive options that you are forced to buy but in my case I can't think of anything on a loaded Rubi I wouldn't have ordered anyway. Er well other than the hideous wheel upgrade.

Heated seats and steering wheel are a nice option up here in the winter, yeah in the old days I would just let the car warm up or plug in the block heater but what the heck a toasty seat is kind of nice. The big Nav/radio is quite nice, the ex has one in her Rebel and it is something I would opt for although I don't find the sat radio worth it. A lot of the things on it I would have added anyway especially an upgraded audio system.

Sure there would be some big tooling costs though the flip side is you could eliminate the driveshaft tunnel as there would be none. Powerplant would be more compact as it would just be the motor with generator attached. Batteries could be built into the floor and would lower the centre of gravity. Guess the wild card would be the electric motor(s) at each wheel and the electronics needed to operate them. Granted you could have some pretty serious traction control with this setup as each wheel could be individually powered and controlled.

But the reality is, I highly doubt they would do this as they are likely stuck in old school thinking.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
but in my case I can't think of anything on a loaded Rubi I wouldn't have ordered anyway.
I come from a world where breakdowns occur in REMOTE areas (40+miles from the next vehicle) Start-run failures caused by cascading layers of unnecessary, inaccessible electronics WILL inevitably shut one down without hope for a field fix to get out. It's called shock, vibration, water crossings, tilt, twist, climb, descent, heat, cold, etc. all of which electronic crap doesn't tolerate. Maximum chance for recovery is with simplicity in machine. Been there done that and I bet I'm older than you LOL! Must have low manual gears and lockers where I go; heater, spare tire, 48" jack and tools. I'm not in the market for a Euro street slut.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I come from a world where breakdowns occur in REMOTE areas (40+miles from the next vehicle) Start-run failures caused by cascading layers of unnecessary, inaccessible electronics WILL inevitably shut one down without hope for a field fix to get out. It's called shock, vibration, water crossings, tilt, twist, climb, descent, heat, cold, etc. all of which electronic crap doesn't tolerate. Maximum chance for recovery is with simplicity in machine. Been there done that and I bet I'm older than you LOL! Must have low manual gears and lockers where I go; heater, spare tire, 48" jack and tools. I'm not in the market for a Euro street slut.
You might just be older than me if you are 70+....

Otherwise I've also been there and done that and honestly I don't want to any more. Picking up a 100+ lb wheel and tire, nope, I just have plugs and a compressor. I do have tools in each vehicle but any new vehicle is going to be a real PITA to fix if something goes kaput and even in a stripped JL there is still enough electronics that could go south to cripple it out in the middle of nowhere so I really don't think a fully loaded Rubi will be much different as dead heated seats aren't exactly going to strand you out in the middle of nowhere. Plus to even trouble shoot any new vehicle you are going to need at bare minimum a code reader or better still a more advanced scan tool in order to read and potentially diagnose and hopefully reset a code that had put everything into limp mode. If your ECM or BCM craps you are still screwed regardless of how many other electronic gizmos you have installed.

You did notice that photo with my handle, the CJ7, nice simple and probably just as prone to failure although in completely different ways. I pack lots of fuses as the fuse on the fuel level gauge likes to blow and that kills the engine. Just one of the wonders of old tech I suppose, I also have a high lift jack, come along, tow and tree straps along with spare plugs, and distributor as well as ignition coil in a box behind the back seat. Also a nice assortment of radio gear since cell service where I wind up usually doesn't exist granted a CAA tow is also out of the question.

As far as shock etc, etc, etc well you know those same conditions can cripple pretty much any vehicle depending on how built it is and how crazy/experienced the driver is. I have a feeling you are younger than me, once you hit a certain age your body just can't deal with the stuff you did when you were a lot younger like when you were 40......

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
You might just be older than me if you are 70+....
Appreciate your thoughtful reply...seems like you'd be fun to wheel with.

I'm older, but stubborn. Lost the Cherokee last Aug. Reasonable settlement after fight. The principle is factory selling me what they want to sell rather than sticking to what they list on their package codes plus options. A bit like making a deal in the middle east. I'll keep hunting around till I really do feel too old. My dear older still wife of 50 years fully supports my efforts. Cheers.

BTW: nice CJ!

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
once you hit a certain age your body just can't deal with the stuff you did when you were a lot younger
That old Cherokee's body did just that, then at about 130k I found a guy who gusseted the unit body till bullet proof. Kids were rug rats when I bought it. Hence, no YJ. As wiring broke down, I bypassed so much AMC electrical crap that the underside of dash trim looked like the inside of the Apollo 13 orbiter. Every feature worked flawlessly and independently of key ignition including a concealed starter button. Thieves couldn't start it....instead pulled it off driveway. Neighbors heard something but didn't suspect. Real pros. Here, in Burque (Gang Slang) folks are beginning to boot their driveway bound rides; highest auto theft per capita in USA. Judges here believe that even mass murderers can be rehabbed. 20 priors? No problem! It's a sanctuary city, guys! Over the years, test drove YJs, TJs, Rubis, JKs...none were improvements over what I already had regarding drivability and capability....until the JL. Only problem with the XJ...can't go convertible sans doors without stage 4 modification. Rode with son in his TJ sans doors and man, that was fun! Spotting was a breeze.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Here, in Burque (Gang Slang) folks are beginning to boot their driveway bound rides; highest auto theft per capita in USA.
Correct - I just looked it up :facepalm:
California seems to doing "great" as well...

My father - about your age I guess - who lives in NM avoids Abq as much as possible...
Tefths.JPG

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate your thoughtful reply...seems like you'd be fun to wheel with.

I'm older, but stubborn. Lost the Cherokee last Aug. Reasonable settlement after fight. The principle is factory selling me what they want to sell rather than sticking to what they list on their package codes plus options. A bit like making a deal in the middle east. I'll keep hunting around till I really do feel too old. My dear older still wife of 50 years fully supports my efforts. Cheers.

BTW: nice CJ!
Thanks! I have a friend who runs a photo workshop in Santa Fe. Nice part of the world. If I ever get back down there....

Ha, I'm old, hopefully not too stubborn. Still won't cash in on the seniors discount at Denny's and Perkins because the portions are tiny....

Prices of Jeeps sure aren't what they used to be, my 86 CJ I bought second hand for a guy in late 86 because he couldn't afford the payments. Was $11,000 which was quite the jump up from the 77 CJ5 I was driving. Granted the CJ7 was nicer, heck it had a tilt steering wheel, padded roll bar, saddle bags and a hard top. Oh and power steering and brakes, the CJ5 only had manual steering and brakes, drums up front but had the 304 V8, headers, side pipes, dual front shocks and 2" lift. But it was a handful to drive, fast but frightening at speed on the highway.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That old Cherokee's body did just that, then at about 130k I found a guy who gusseted the unit body till bullet proof. Kids were rug rats when I bought it. Hence, no YJ. As wiring broke down, I bypassed so much AMC electrical crap that the underside of dash trim looked like the inside of the Apollo 13 orbiter. Every feature worked flawlessly and independently of key ignition including a concealed starter button. Thieves couldn't start it....instead pulled it off driveway. Neighbors heard something but didn't suspect. Real pros. Here, in Burque (Gang Slang) folks are beginning to boot their driveway bound rides; highest auto theft per capita in USA. Judges here believe that even mass murderers can be rehabbed. 20 priors? No problem! It's a sanctuary city, guys! Over the years, test drove YJs, TJs, Rubis, JKs...none were improvements over what I already had regarding drivability and capability....until the JL. Only problem with the XJ...can't go convertible sans doors without stage 4 modification. Rode with son in his TJ sans doors and man, that was fun! Spotting was a breeze.
Ah AMC 'electronics' I enjoyed trying to figure out who actually made the parts under the hood of both CJ's. Ford ignition module, GM distributor, who knows where the coil came from. And in my saddle bags I basically carried a complete electrical system just in case and that was just for driving on the street!

Oh I loved to hate the CJ wiring, my fuel gauge stopped working 20 years ago so a few years ago I replaced the gauge. Worked fine for a few weeks then one day while out in the country the Jeep ground to a halt. Would not start, motor turned over, caught for a second and then dead. Had CAA flatbed tow me back home. Spent an evening scratching me head until I discovered that the fuse for the fuel gauge had blown. For some unknown reason that also successfully kills the motor! Replaced the fuse and the Jeep starts, but now the fuel gauge is dead. Take it all apart, figure it's something grounding so try and ensure there is no short in that system. Put it back together, Jeep starts! Gauge works, get to the bottom of the driveway, hit a bump, Jeep dies. Grrrr ok take it all back apart, discover this time the gauge has really shorted and the fine wiring that drives the needle has failed. Ok order a complete cluster from Omix Ida and install it, been ok since. As much as I complain about this, the flip side is on new vehicles if the computer goes south it's not going to be easy to solve and will wind up being stupidly expensive because the entire unit will probably have to be swapped out.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ah, the Good Old Days of CJ7s ! I carried spares,as you did, they failed frequently, but always could use Jumper Wires, or parts on hand to get Home.
These JLs are far superior in many ways, if only they could be Field Repaired...

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
As much as I complain about this, the flip side is on new vehicles
Exactly! I regarded the Cherokee with 280k as a free ride. I could fix it or re-engineer it. Usually see something coming before wheeling. And oh, the pleasure of doing that! All the parts...ALL were swaps at Autozone. Only had to pay for them once...Was able to carry spare starters, alternators, water pumps, etc. in a suitcase. Each time I fixed it, it drove and performed better than before. The Rostra cruise control was an absolute achievement. Factory cruise never worked reliably....just got tired of dealership having it rather than wheeling. Haven't replace the XJ yet. As I was pulling the trigger on a base 2 door Rubi JL, the sales guy said now you are required to buy the proximity ignition.... nope nope, nope. I rented a car with that..... went to drive it and nothing.... "fob not recognized". When these electronic nightmares go out of warranty at 50-60k and riders and drivers are stranded on something like Golden Spike with a $5000 pull-off fee.....nope! Not for me. No way! Can't trail fix that computer garbage.

FieldInspection.jpg

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
in CO perhaps
Wheeler Lake Trail south of Breckenridge. Wanted to sidewall that hump with right side on lower terrain. Spotter had something else in mind. LOL! Lots of fun little obstacles on that trail. Recommend Red Cone, Webster and all nearby trails. Not too difficult, but like single malt scotch AFTER wheeling.
Sponsored