Sponsored

Please vote on this poll on whether or not you have potted your locker sensor

Have you potted your Rubicon locker sensor?

• Yes, it's so simple and inexpensive

• No, not handy or not concerned enough

• huh?

Results are only viewable after voting.

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
I have many years of warranty ahead, so I’ll stick with that for now. It’s ridiculous that they swap axles for a damn sensor. That’s one if the most asinine things I have ever heard.
I agree but think about it. If your sensors go bad at the end of the warranty period you start all over with all new differentials!
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm going to put fresh oil in the diffs when I hit 60k and properly pot them then.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I agree but think about it. If your sensors go bad at the end of the warranty period you start all over with all new differentials!
Even better if the dealer let you keep those old, worthless axles! I'd trade them labor for the scrap metal and take them home in crates if it was an option.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I’ve got 30k hard miles on mine. I’m hoping to get fresh axles just before the warranty is up, then I’ll pot them.

Sponsored

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
I’ve got 30k hard miles on mine. I’m hoping to get fresh axles just before the warranty is up, then I’ll pot them.
I've been thinking of going this route lol. The issue I can see here though is the Jeep sitting at the dealer for two months waiting on the replacement axle.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Although I haven't done it yet, I will be since I just received my potting compound today.

Nice little weekend project.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I didn't vote. I'm with the still under warranty crowd. When I get to 60K, I may pot them. I'd figure the sensors will be available for sale by then though.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I potted the rear sensor when I changed gears to 4.88's and it's a damm good thing I did. At under 18 months and just over 11,000 miles my rear sensor already had oil in it...

However, I have not potted the Dana-Aftermarket branded 4.88 UD44 front axle as Dana informed me that if their sensor fails, Dana will supply service parts. The Dana rep I talked with was not certain the sensor in Dana-Aftermarket axles was the same as what Jeep had specified. Dana will however only supply parts for Dana-Aftermarket branded axles and not Mopar/Jeep branded axles.

Hopefully someday the suits at Jeep corporate will pull their heads out of their rear ends and offer a replacement/improved sensor and not require the entire axle to be replaced...This 'replace axle for failed locker sensor' policy has to be one of the all-time stupidest in automotive repair history!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If by “all new” you mean refurbished that took weeks to order, deliver, and install, then OK.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Mine were done at 2000 miles. Not the least bit concerned about warranty issues, dealers are not even allowed to remove the covers to inspect. I prefer just avoiding the problem by doing the simple potting procedure.

If you think it is absurd to replace an axle for a sensor, how about this for the flip side. Dana thinned axles tubes for the M275 fitted to Ford Super Duty trucks causing axle tube failures and they wont replace axles for that. They weld them at the dealer if they haven't failed yet or have dealers do full rebuilds with new housings if they have crushed or cracked. What is wrong with manufacturers these days? Both of these solutions are insane...

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
Does anyone know if the bypass z kit can prevent from getting a message that the locker does not function (if it does break or located improperly?
Is it a band aid? Or the cure for the faulty sensor?
Sponsored